CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What type of hunting will you be doing mainly and what is your budget? Usually new people are not willing to spend 2,000. The machine I would go with(Minelab E-Trac) is 1500 (got mine used) then you need to spend another 600 or so for coils (got mine used). Then you still need good digging tools and headsets and a Pro-Pointer.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It would help to answer CoinandRelicMan's questions and also where you plan to hunt primarily. How often, any physical limitations, expected results.
Even general info can help.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im from the UK and would be hunting on fields and occasionally beaches, budget would be around £500-£1200.
What would you think about the Garrett AT PRO/GOLD, Excalibur II, or Makro CF77 (Makro CF77 Coin Finder Metal Detector).

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you recommend?

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The excal II is an excellent multi frequency water proof machine primarily used for fresh and salt water beaches. Any excellent choice for a beach hunter.
I'm not familiar with the CF77 but it is a single frequency VLF that is not the best choice for a salt beach machine. If it were me, I'd look at the Garrett detectors and decide if I would want only machine, I'd get the AT Pro. Can you try out a machine locally? If there is a nearby metal detecting club, go to a meeting and ask the locals.
You may be able to try out different machines and even buy a used machine at a great price. HTH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im from the UK and would be hunting on fields and occasionally beaches, budget would be around £500-£1200.
What would you think about the Garrett AT PRO/GOLD, Excalibur II, or Makro CF77 (Makro CF77 Coin Finder Metal Detector).
In that price range and for your particular use, I'd get an E-trac, Explorer, or Sovereigh GT (in that order) They're great for salt water beaches and shallow water. They're also very good for general hunting in parks, schools, old sites, etc.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never run the stock Minelab coil myself. For really trashed areas and getting close I use the Minelab FSB800 coil and I run the Platypus for yards/parks/trashy fields and the WOT 15 inch in fields/less trashy areas. These are my favorite CoilTek coils. Believe those coils can also be used on Safari and Explorer machines.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about the Nexus MKII

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANY GOOD?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's the thing. You don't have to blow a lot of money to get results. One of the largest hoards found over there was located with a Whites XLT. It will do anything the newer general purpose detectors will do. You can pick up a used one for around $350. I have been using one for 14 years (the same one). Now on the beach, I use a Whites Surfmaster PI. The PI detectors rule the beach. I have been using mine for 14 years also. it has pulled rings at 10" and a boat anchor at app. 4'. Now I have to admit that I am primarily a cache hunter. You can see what I use under my avatar. Think before you spend. Frank y gold bars.jpg

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
i own the at pro and the cf77.If I was field hunting I would grab the cf77 all day.The same fro the beach,unless u are getting in the water.The excal and the cf77 are very close in depth,never used the excal myself.The cf77 brand new is 550 bucks.850 with the pro pack(Thats US Dollars).Very hard to beat that kit for that price.Good Luck with your Hunting!

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What settings would you have your cf77 for land? & beach?:dontknow:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Well the setting will depend on a few things.Do you want to hear the Iron or not.How mineralized is the soil.After I know that,I would pick my mode.Then decide on iron audio,then balance the machine and go.Its one of the simplest machines to use.Very few adjustments,just raw power.A true field machine.If its not Iron ,Dig it.I did a video on the cf77 and the setting i was using.if I can help you with anything shoot me a message.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers man :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**** iron

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it a little strange that you should be asking on this forum for advice when you detect in the UK. Conditions and places available to detect can be so different. If you are a new detectorist I wouldn't be spending over £1000 on a machine. Buy a reasonable detector like the Ace 250 and see if the hobby is for you. When you have found the 'big one' with the Ace - no matter what machine you have, you must pass over the coin hoard to find it - THEN perhaps consider up-grading.

There are several detectorists who have done just that ... and I have the proof. Garrett have just rewarded a couple of English detectorists (they call themselves 'The Garrett Lads') with their top-of-range machine and loads of goodies after they found TWO hoards, one of Viking hack silver and another of Roman coins. Join an English forum and ask the same question. PM me for recommendations if you wish. Good luck.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are members here from around the world. Location doesn't matter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions