Do you think you have dug your best find?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Do you think you have dug your best find, or what will be your best?[/h]

This is my 14th year detecting, and I have dug both a button and coin that I don't feel I will ever improve upon, so sadly yes, I think I have dug my best. Strangely I found them both in 2001! Of course I just look at it as having something to beat, but honestly I don't have a high degree of confidence I will.

So how many think their best find is still to come, or like me, it's sort of just gravy now.

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
After 55 years of detecting I still haven't found my best find yet, oh there have been plenty of second place finds. And yes, I have found two $5 indians, but had to sell both to get home when my transmission on my old car left me stranded.....nge

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sure hope not. It would be an awfully sad haul at the end if a 1943 wheat penny is the best I could do with a coin detector and bullets are all I have to show for my PI Minelab.

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the same perspective as a lot of the detectorist that have been doing this for years, as I've only been doing this for a little over a year now. I certainly go not value things by there actual value but by the story they tell. There are a lot of thing that can have cash value that I wouldn't have any problem selling (like jewelry item ) and a lot of relics that I would be hard pressed to ever sell with a lot less cash value.
What kind of story was behind finding the Item. Was it your last hunt with a friend or relative that passed.
Does the Item tell a story about the person who lost it like many civil war Items.
I just feel that there are so many things and places to look for and at that I can't see myself thinking I can't out do myself anytime at this point.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the same perspective as a lot of the detectorist that have been doing this for years, as I've only been doing this for a little over a year now. I certainly go not value things by there actual value but by the story they tell. There are a lot of thing that can have cash value that I wouldn't have any problem selling (like jewelry item ) and a lot of relics that I would be hard pressed to ever sell with a lot less cash value.
What kind of story was behind finding the Item. Was it your last hunt with a friend or relative that passed.
Does the Item tell a story about the person who lost it like many civil war Items.
I just feel that there are so many things and places to look for and at that I can't see myself thinking I can't out do myself anytime at this point.

"I don't have the same perspective as a lot of the detectorist that have been doing this for years"

Actually you do, and not sure why you would think otherwise.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This is my second time MDing. First time was in the late 70's and early 80's for about 5 years. Got started again last year.

I have found more than I had dreamed of, but a cache of very old coins is at the top of my bucket list, so I keep digging.

HH

I bet you find that PVC pipe full of pearls and coins. Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like some of the others my next find is my best find. I get just as excited finding a penny in an obscure place as I do finding a 14k ring in a park. I get more excited finding something in an area another detector has just covered a few minutes before me.

One of the guys I detect with will start a grid as lead detector and we follow behind to try and get what he misses and then the next pass through the grid we change places. it's amazing how much each of us misses while being the lead detector. Those finds are some of my most exciting finds. We all three have similar experience and he has an eTrac and i use my V3i the other guy has an SE Pro

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think you have dug your best find?

Of course not. The NEXT hole will hold the best treasure ever. I'm sure of it!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep I think so but I hope to be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't given up on finding my first silver dollar coin yet !!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I certainly don't think I've dug my best find. I try and always remain optimistic, have great expectations and put good intentions out in what I do.
I just don't entertain the notion that the "best days are behind me".

We typically get what we believe we'll get. That can work both ways. If you believe your best finds are already found, you just may be right.
But, if you don't believe that, you have nothing but positive potential.

When winter comes and goes and spring rolls around you just may get more excited about hunting and scoring even greater finds.
I know I will. I'm already looking forward to it and winter isn't even here yet.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! I actually have never found one and is on my wish list.

I eyeballed an IHP that was on a flat slate rock ledge beside a river. Totally worn away on the face but a nice reverse. Lord knows how long it had been lying there exposed.

Within a few yards I got a deep hit at the water's edge and was thinking "hot damn" when I saw silvery glint. It was a 1986 Roosevelt that was almost 10" deep! Ice and river silt/action must have driven it deep. You just never know.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a whole lot of hours logged, but to me, it's finding items that have historic value.

I got lucky and stumbled across my only silver find (1879 Morgan SD) landscaping.

But that find led me to research, and that research has inspired and guided me to what I hope will led to discovering relics from the 1500's on.

I hope to find military items, items from the pioneers, and things that will keep me reading and learning about history.

I can't put a dollar value on that.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I eyeballed an IHP that was on a flat slate rock ledge beside a river. Totally worn away on the face but a nice reverse. Lord knows how long it had been lying there exposed.

Within a few yards I got a deep hit at the water's edge and was thinking "hot damn" when I saw silvery glint. It was a 1986 Roosevelt that was almost 10" deep! Ice and river silt/action must have driven it deep. You just never know.

You just never know when and where something will turn up.
That Indian could have been sitting on that rock for over a hundred years. Or, it could have migrated there through erosion, rain, wind or whatever.It could even have been found by someone else who lost it or just forgot and left it there.

That's an amazing find and it still counts even if you didn't dig it up.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are we talking best AUTHENTIC find or best REPRODUCED find lol? I sure hope I haven't found my best....that would be pathetic!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! I actually have never found one and is on my wish list.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

IHP are hard to find out here also, found one so far this year and it was a fresh drop ! 8_15_2014 coinspill trifecta pennies front.jpg

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly don't think I've dug my best find. I try and always remain optimistic, have great expectations and put good intentions out in what I do.
I just don't entertain the notion that the "best days are behind me".

We typically get what we believe we'll get. That can work both ways. If you believe your best finds are already found, you just may be right.
But, if you don't believe that, you have nothing but positive potential.

When winter comes and goes and spring rolls around you just may get more excited about hunting and scoring even greater finds.
I know I will. I'm already looking forward to it and winter isn't even here yet.

Just becaause someone thinks they might have dug their best does not mean they are not optimist, lost motivation, or feel the best days are behind them. I can make just the opposite argument, because if you think you have found your best you know what is possible to find, and that should be great motivation in getting out there.

So if you win the Super bowl or World Series you might as well pack it in? Don't think so... you defend your title and keep on trying to win.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread