Harder than it looks

F

fleur325

Well, my BH Tracker IV was delivered on Thursday.

Today, I went out to my local community garden to try it out. Boy, I need a LOT more practice. Where my garden is located, there used to be homes and a school, so I am sure this would be a good spot for anyone who wanted to hunt it. All I found, though, was an old rusted door hinge, a lump of aluminum--unidentifiable, but a keeper as my first find, and a baby food jar lid.

I know this was total user error on my part, not even finding any clad. I also bought cheap batteries, so my detecting time was under 45 minutes. Husband berated me for buying the cheapies. He came with me, and seemed to like hearing the detector beep. Unfortunately, finding the target proved harder than we thought.

I found some "Treasure Buddies" listed on the Lost Treasures website, and shot them an email, hoping someone would like to show me how use this thing. I'll keep at it. Husband is refusing to let me give up that easy.

If anyone lives in or around Nashville and would like access to my spot (it isn't that easy to get into on your own), and show me how to detect better, let me know.

Rachael

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Rachel,

Welcome aboard..Glad to have you with us ;D ;D. There is a lot of great people here who can be a great help.

Sorry I don't live near Nashville or I would come and hunt with you. What helps me is to hunt is all metal mode. That way you don't miss anything..Not bad for the first time out..My first out I found a bottle cap and a twist tie...As far as batteries, I use Energizer or Duracell...Listen to your husband and don't give up..Sometimes you will find a lot of good stuff and other time you will find just junk, but keep at it...Hope it helps and keep us updated on your finds.

RON(PA)

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
It sounds to me like your detecting to fast or your zigzaging back and forth. You may have your coil off the ground too far as well.First thing you want to do is to try to keep the detector flush with the ground. Right on the ground is better. Start by gridding off an area (you can grid by sight or use four stakes and some twine) Once you know where you want to check then pretend your detectors a giant paint brush and try to cover as much area as possible. When you zig zag you leave holes where everything you want to find likes to hide. Also you might want to put various items on the ground and check out the different tones you get with different swinging speeds.Hope this helps. If you got anymore questions feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer then someone in here usually does. Your husbands right keep at it. I got my start in the wet sand on a local beach. Good luck and happy hunting Jason

OP
OP
F

fleur325

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. I probably do have my coil too far off the ground. I didn't know right on the ground is better.

I will see if that helps me out when I go back tomorrow.

:)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I use a BH Pioneer 101, which is nearly identical to your Tracker IV. I find that the best setting is Tone mode, with the sensitivity knob set at about 12 oclock. This will help weed out small iron targets like nails or bottlecaps, and give good solid tones on the coins, rings, and (sigh) pulltabs. Also, if you can, track down Onionhead. He seems to be the worlds leading BH genius and leading clad and ring king! Good luck and HH!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Beware of CLOSER TO THE GROUND! DId you get a protector cover plate to go on your search coil? It will allow you to skim along just off the ground & will keep the search coil from being damaged. Tell your husband to get another machine so you can learn together. Read the interesting posts on this forum & you will learn a lot. Do not be discouraged if you don't find great stuff right away. If it was that easy, everybody would be doing it. It is a great hobby & is a fantastic stress reliver. Welcome to the forum & good luck. Let us know how you are doing.
Spotz

F

foolserrand

you might want to hit a large park & do the more open (less used) areas so you wont have to deal with a lot of trash signals. Doing so should help you find more coins & let you get to know your detector better in a friendlier less trash-filled environment.

Finding trash when you first start out can be discouraging.? Believe me i know.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Spotz is right on getting a cover for your detector. I'm mean to my detector and run it through sand and over gravel all the time but I made a make shift coil cover out of a broken plastic sled and cable ties. By keeping your coil close or on the ground your not losing any depth. If you have an average depth of 8" on say a quarter and your holding your detector 3" off the ground then you are losing 3 inches and only detecting 5". See what I'm saying. Some people say "kep your coil to the soil", but spotz is right not without protection. Good call spotz and thanx for correcting me. Good luck fleur and maybe you can post some of your better finds in the near future. Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions