First Time Metal Detector Needs Advice

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hello everyone. Ever since I was a little kid growing up on the beach, I had always wanted to try metal detecting, so I finally went out and bought a 15 dollar toy metal detector. My girlfriend and I spent the evening digging up the yard, even using a flashlight to dig after the sun went down. All we found were nails, screws, bottle caps, and the like, plus a piece of a toy truck, and tons of mystery metal; but it was so much fun! Most people would think us insane, because we get a thrill out of finding pure junk. I love all things metal, and she loves all things old and unusual, and we both love a good treasure hunt. She's already talking about upgrading to a real metal detector.
Anyway, I have a few questions. (and please pardon my ignorance!!)

1.) I understand that one should always get permission before digging, but are there any places that are always "fair game?" Places I can rest assured are ok to dig?

2.) I understand that one should always fill in the holes, but as a general rule of thumb, does that mean making it look just how I found it? Where should I draw the line, especially regarding grass?

3.) I found a rock that produces a signal, which confused me. It doesn't appear to be metal---I'm no geologist, but it looks like a "typical" rock---but could it be an ore? metal inside? or do some rocks produce signals, and if so, which ones? Is this very common?

4.) What are the best ways to clean my finds, in particular, items that don't have any collector value? I simply want to make this scrappy junk metal look as clean as possible, yet still retain that been-in-the-ground-for-ten-years look. Any suggestions for coins? As a numismatist, I know that one should rarely, if ever, clean coins, but if I find a coin I want to spend, what's the best way to clean it?

It's only my first day metal detecting, so again, please pardon my ignorance.

Thank you so much!!!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you visit lots of sites to learn all you can about detecting. Garrett has many nice books on the subject too.

I don't know what state you are living in so I suggest you check with the city or state sites to learn if there are any areas that are off limits. If you go to a state park, ask at the gate.

Some rocks produce a signal because of minerial content. These are called "hot rocks." They are usually very low on the conductivity scale of better detectors.

Coins that are valuable should never even be rubbed to see the date in the field. Regular clad maybe washed in water with soap to loosen any soil. I think the coin forum has more info.

Always try to never dig any holes on grass. Learn to use something like a screw driver to retrieve the coin. If you must go deeper, cut a plug and set all dirt on a cloth for placing it back so it looks like nobody was there. If you can tell where you were digging, you need to be neater. NEVER show up in a park or school yard with a shovel!

Attachments

• fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    fillholes (WinCE).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 306
  • fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 303
B

BIG61AL

Schools and parks are great places to hunt. Always cover your holes. Try to hunt when children/people are not present. Sunday mornings, after a heavy rain, chilly weather, or after school is over. Never go to a school when children are in class - you can pretty much expect to get hassled by somebody for something. If you do get hassled just say you are sorry and leave promptly and come back another time.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Sandman said.

When I get done in a park IN try to leave no dirt visible (it dries and even if the grass is alive underneath it LOOKS dead). One compalint from the grounds crew and you're history in that park. I use method #2 on his sheet. Three stabs with a trowel or digging tool and flip the plug back. Then, if more digging is needed, I tip it out to the left in a heap. Also helps to keep it consolidated so you can pinpoint if you miss it visually.

I never did figure how to d method #1 witout damaging the coin. Doesn't matter for 99-44/100% of the coins I find, but some I do keep and want nice.

I use aquarium gravel, enough water to keep it wet (about 1/4 the coins & gravel depth in the drum) and a teaspoon of detergent plus a couple good shakes of Copper Bright in the tumbler for cleaning clad.

The only place that is always "fair game" is your own property (unless proposition 66 passes in Oregon). Other than that you're at the mercy of someone, so ask politely. Don't know about beaches. Not much concern hereabouts. As a real rule of thumb, anywhere you can publicly camp, fish or hunt should be OK. But is there's a ranger, caretaker or gate-house you should ask first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread