Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a woman contact me. She said she lost her engagement ring in a river. She said that it was lost in 2 feet of water and knows the location in a 15 to 20 foot area. I would jump at the chance but I am nervous about taking my F5 out in that. I wouldn't hesitate if I had a ATP. If I were to drop it I am out of a machine and can't afford a new one. What would you do?

Upvote 0

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't risk your machine! Or buy a water machine to get into water detecting and start with this as your first water detecting experience. If you belong to a metal detecting club, maybe borrow someone else's water machine or pass along the contact info. It only takes one slippery rock and you could fall and go under with your machine.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go snorkeling. Wouldn't take long to cover a 15x20 area... if you didn't find it then at least you'd have a good idea of the u/w terrain and what kind of risk it would present to you & your F5 should you decide to wade it.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a harness and get a scoop.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. I just can't risk my F5. I reached out to a local detectorist and asked him if he knew anyone with a water machine that would loan it to me or help this lady.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a member of TheRingFinders.com in Montana. You may want to contact him and see if you can do a joint search. If he's too far away, maybe he knows someone in your area with a water machine. Rivers can have some REAL slippery rocks in them. I wouldn't risk the detector unless the lady is willing the put up some money to cover it's replacement cost should it get dunked.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does she look?

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to hunt in water all the time with my f2 and an ace250........no harness no scoop just a shovel and a homemade screen, my, i was so new and and didnt know what the heck i was doing, i had enough sense not to get the box wet and did so so with that method as far as recovery. if its only 2 feet of water and u have a back-up cheaper detector i would be tempted to try it with that. not saying its a good idea : ) just sayn its been done before

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If nothing else works.. suggest that she puts an add on Craigs List for someone to hunt for the ring in her area... not giving too much location info on Craigs list

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You probably could locate it with a pinpointer if you can't come up with a waterproof coil. Just tape it up well and put it on vibrate.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great ideas. This lady already has an ad on craigslist in the lost and found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread