is this even possible??

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
This is what I've found at a church that dates back to 1917, which is no longer there, a church that was built in 1953 is now on another part of the property.. I think its virgin ground,, except for a guy who pulled up in a truck while i was detecting there one day and told me he detected the grounds where the 1917 church used to be a few years back, he said he found a Morgan dollar, not sure if I believe that!
But the reason for my post is I have found 29 Wheaties, the oldest a 1918. And a 1920s buffalo.. NO SILVER!!!!! (Except for at the parsonage for the new church, there was a merc and a war nickel)
You know the old saying, "Where there is wheats, there's silver."
But I guess it was true what a man walking into the church one day told me, "You might not find much, Methodists have tight pockets." LOL!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone else in the past high graded all the silver.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the places I hunt. Wait until you find what you think is a virgin spot and all the trash is even gone. I've been to places that were dug so clean I was wishing I could find a pull tab.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like someone cherry picked it. I have found a lot of coins this year, but the oldest is 1965. Have yet to find first silver.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mothers home built in the early 50's I have pulled 18 wheaties and assorted clad, no silver.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We usually find about 8 Wheaties to one silver in areas that have not ben hunted. If you found that many Wheaties and no silvers. I agree with the others that it was "cherry picked". Some of the older guys that I hunt with... usually don't dig the cents at all. GL&HH.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
We usually find about 8 Wheaties to one silver in areas that have not ben hunted. If you found that many Wheaties and no silvers. I agree with the others that it was "cherry picked". Some of the older guys that I hunt with... usually don't dig the cents at all. GL&HH.

Would they be missing the barbers and worn mercs by doing that? Cause from what I understand, they ring up lower..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All silver dimes in the same soil, with the same amount of corrosion, and at the same depth will read the same. I've found a few silver dimes that read down in the copper cent range that had tons of corrosion on them, but not too many.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would they be missing the barbers and worn mercs by doing that? Cause from what I understand, they ring up lower..

Probally, All my Barber dimes ring up lower than cents. Its all about luck thou, I have been to places where Ive pulled a few silvers and no wheats, and I was digging everything. Plus the fact wheats were still running rampant in the 70s while alot of people started holding on to their silver coins. I wouldnt give up on that place, if you are pulling out that many coins, I would just start sweeping slow.

On my ATP, about 80% of the time I get these readings

81-82 Cents
83-85 Silver Dimes (Rosies and mercs)
79-80 Barbers dimes <<Thats been ALL my barber dimes

Last edited:
OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Probally, All my Barber dimes ring up lower than cents. Its all about luck thou, I have been to places where Ive pulled a few silvers and no wheats, and I was digging everything. Plus the fact wheats were still running rampant in the 70s while alot of people started holding on to their silver coins. I wouldnt give up on that place, if you are pulling out that many coins, I would just start sweeping slow.

On my ATP, about 80% of the time I get these readings

81-82 Cents
83-85 Silver Dimes (Rosies and mercs)
79-80 Barbers dimes <<Thats been ALL my barber dimes

Wow those are interesting #s! Ill have to let you know my experience when i find my first barber..
I found 27 wheats at this spot with my etrac, (I sold it).. And with my tesoro compadre found 2 wheats about 5 inches down in a spot I had gone over REALLY slow with my etrac.. Not sure how that happened..

Side note: I was thinking of getting the AT gold, or maybe saving up for a CTX.. Not sure yet..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread