First civil war relic!

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Today my gf and myself went to my grandparents house that's located close to a historic area and I decided while visiting to pull out the detector for a bit. I adventured into the woods after finding a ring or what appears to be a ring. I got a strong hit under a rotten tree that had died an fell obviously a long time ago. I dug up the ground, but the sound was coming from a rotten old piece of wood. I picked up the wood and swiped it a couple times and was a little puzzled, but figured it could be a nail. I slowly started taking it he wood apart still getting a swing hit, then finally I got to the center of the rotting wood which revealed a metal looking ball. I cleaned off the mold and wood and finally noticed what I was holding. I had finally found a musket ball!! I assume someone shot the gun missed I guess causing the ball to be lodged into the tree which fell and I found. The ball has damage on one side which is slightly flat I am assuming that is from the blast from the gun, but the rest of the ball is flat! I also found a more modern bullet, a slug. Not too bad for a random visit/search. I got permission to go into the field where the historic land is, but I have to share some finds with the owner which I'm okay with! Thanks for reading and good luck to all!

image-1139983666.jpg

Upvote 0

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad I love finding civil war buttons I have found a few myself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread