Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I think most silos have concrete floors. that being the case probably drive your detector nuts.as for what you find depends on what has been dropped.my guess would be nuts and bolts for most part.that's just my opinion .good luck whatever you decide .happy hunting

Kazoom123

Sep 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is an old silo, then there must be an old barn try around that and see what ya find. Best of luck hunting!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it would be worth the effort. The amount of human activity around a silo is negligible so the chance of finding anything valuable is small.

I would put more effort in area where people tend to congregate such as parks, schools, old yards perimeters of athletic fields etc. One never knows where you will find anything but increase your odds by hunting where people go.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been inside a few silos before, but it's not something you do everyday. I'd concentrate on other areas of the farm myself also.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add a warning, if the silo is used, gas can develop in the bottom, and you won't know about it till its to late. Never go into one without somebody with you just in case. There have been cases here in New York where 3 or 4 people have died after each one went into the bottom of the silo to save the person who went before. I would concentrate around it and around the barn area.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to post results when I get a chance to detect the property.

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go for it anyways as long as the bottom isn't filled in. I've found some pretty cool stuff in the craziest of places. If you do find something, it then just becomes a cool story to tell. The stuff is already in the ground and isn't going anywhere! (Unless there's other hunters in which case concentrate on more populated areas of that hunt site.) You may also want to google search historical aerial images of the site too. I know in Florida University of Florida has an amazing site that I use pretty often with images going back to the 40's so you can compare and contrast and see if there were any outbuildings etc. Then I compare it to google earth and man does it help out!! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread