Recommended Readings??

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked through the Recommended Readings section, but didn't come up with anything. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations of books/files/websites to read that will help with a technical understanding of metal detectors. I *THINK* that I get the basics - coil produces an electromagnetic field, metal objects distort that field, coil senses this and beeps. I'm looking for the nitty gritty details... how discrimination works, the rough math of figuring out what size of object can be detected at what depth, etc. etc. etc.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to do some reading on where to look as well... I have a few ideas (beach, campsites, old farm house) but could certainly use all the info I can get.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME, thank you!! Already learned something just glancing at it.. didn't realize I was working with a conical field, I thought it was more like a bubble...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe all you read August. Many concentrics do have a detection hot area which is the shape of a slightly squashed ballon which is why say an eight inch coil can be detecting ten inches wide a couple of inches below the surface.

My V3i on the other hand, though a DD coil, detects far narrower at depth than you would think.

Always best to try out your own machines/coils to see what really applies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions