Good Luck man!

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch the videos on the Garrett website and then watch them again after you know everything... I have had my ATPRO for 3 years and still go back and watch the videos. At first I was not using the Iron Audio, but now find it very useful in my hunts.
Take note of the video about cleaning your MD after every outing. Enjoy. :headbang:

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch the videos on the Garrett website and then watch them again after you know everything... I have had my ATPRO for 3 years and still go back and watch the videos. At first I was not using the Iron Audio, but now find it very useful in my hunts. Take note of the video about cleaning your MD after every outing. Enjoy. :headbang:
Thank you so much for the assistance

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im torn between this machine and finding a used whites dfx. i need a machine that will work good at the salt water beaches here in nc i live 10 min from carolina and writesville beaches.

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish you many hours of great hunting. Hopefully, your area is not heavily mineralized! I live in Denver and the ground is highly ferrous....around 91. That hurts depth, but it's a great machine for anything 6" or less.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wish you many hours of great hunting. Hopefully, your area is not heavily mineralized! I live in Denver and the ground is highly ferrous....around 91. That hurts depth, but it's a great machine for anything 6" or less.
Should i only attack shallow targets while im learning?

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pro is so easy to use, I would go right to the Pro zero mode. Depends on what you are going after. If it's coins, then standard coin mode might be best to start with. The VDI readings are often times right on! Again, if the ground is highly mineralized, I haven't been able to pick up those faint repeatable signals that tell me I have something deep. Anything shallow should blow years off.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pro is so easy to use, I would go right to the Pro zero mode. Depends on what you are going after. If it's coins, then standard coin mode might be best to start with. The VDI readings are often times right on! Again, if the ground is highly mineralized, I haven't been able to pick up those faint repeatable signals that tell me I have something deep. Anything shallow should blow years off.

I played with pro mode, and after a bit, i looked around where I was crouched down, and all. I saw was 6" hole here....8" hole there..

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will love it. At 1st it may be a bit frustrating but the more hours you use the more you will learn to love it. I got so good with mine I could tell the difference between a dine and a quarter by the beep. Before I bought my V3i I was averaging $120 per month plus a few rings now and then. I made enough with it in 7 months to pay for my V3i. Most places i hunted had been hunted before i got there.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are finding you are digging empty holes, you might want to be sure you don't have any metal in your shoes, also you may have it running too hot and are falsing. Be sure you are pin pointing correctly. A Handheld pinpointer is also a must.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also a pretty good pinpoint capability on the machine you can use to center your hole over the target if you use that you won't be digging your shoe that was funny

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also go to Garrett's YouTube channel they have very good videos on learning the at pro.

http://youtube.com/user/GarrettDetectors

And just search at pro on there channel and you should find it helps a lot

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set it Pro Zero, one or two notches down from max power. Find a clean spot of ground and do a ground balance. Listen for high tones as you swing.

The above is about as basic as I can make it to help you get going. You will learn the subtleties/nuances/variables as you go.

hunterope

Nov 8, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if your running 0 disk, all metal, iron audio and max sense, you'll be using the machine to it's fullest. Be warned that Max sense will pick up a small blue jean rivit at 10 inches or more. Listen to the machine, it won't lie to you. Also one tip I can give you for NOT DIGGING CANS - if you get a solid 80 signal - lift your coil up about 10 inches from the ground while pin pointing. if you still pick up the signal loud and clear chances are it's a can. I swear by my AT PRO (use the 8x5 coil mostly). Great machine and works everywhere I've taken it so far (beach, mountains, back yard).. Good luck!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your running 0 disk, all metal, iron audio and max sense, you'll be using the machine to it's fullest. Be warned that Max sense will pick up a small blue jean rivit at 10 inches or more. Listen to the machine, it won't lie to you. Also one tip I can give you for NOT DIGGING CANS - if you get a solid 80 signal - lift your coil up about 10 inches from the ground while pin pointing. if you still pick up the signal loud and clear chances are it's a can. I swear by my AT PRO (use the 8x5 coil mostly). Great machine and works everywhere I've taken it so far (beach, mountains, back yard).. Good luck!

Yea, Just the fact that it can pick up a small rivit from a pair of jeans just shows its depth capability. As for the not digging trash or whole soda cans...I do the same thing..if you are getting a solid hit and raise the coil up a foot or so and still get that signal...its something big.

Ive also noticed that unless the coin is DIRECTLY on top of the ground...You should never really have a target that tells you its at 2" while swinging...ive had very shallow coins, and they still will bounce from the 2-4" depth, which is telling you that its a smaller object, because typically you are swining about 2 or so inches above the ground anyway.

You will have to dig some trash to get a good handle on this machine or any machine really.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are so much help!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's me relic hunting deep stuff

ForumRunner_20141021_215723.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread