Upvote 0

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the same boat. I just found out there's an ordinance for no metal detecting in the parks in my county.

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel like driving an hour and a half east to Pennsylvania on RT 322. Metal detecting is allowed in Pymatuning state park, the park rangers told me that you just have to be off the beach by 10am during the summer when it's open. Other areas of the park are fine all day as long as your not disturbing people and of course not leaving divots where you dig. The beaches are pretty picked over anyways.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Troppy, you don't need a permit to hunt Cleveland city parks. You DO need a permit to hunt the metroparks however, which, for those unfamiliar to the area, is a large park system that runs through Cleveland and a number of suburbs. The rangers usually don't have a problem with people digging there as long as you are not using anything larger than a Lesche knife (which is what many of us use) and are being very careful to leave the ground in the same condition that you found it. Also, it's best to save some of the nicer areas for a late fall or early spring hunt. The permit is free from the park office. Make sure you're carrying it if you are down there because they WILL ask to see it from time to time. The parks around Cleveland have been hit pretty hard. You can still find a silver here and there but they are getting scarce.

OP
OP
troppy12

troppy12

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Troppy, you don't need a permit to hunt Cleveland city parks. You DO need a permit to hunt the metroparks however, which, for those unfamiliar to the area, is a large park system that runs through Cleveland and a number of suburbs. The rangers usually don't have a problem with people digging there as long as you are not using anything larger than a Lesche knife (which is what many of us use) and are being very careful to leave the ground in the same condition that you found it. Also, it's best to save some of the nicer areas for a late fall or early spring hunt. The permit is free from the park office. Make sure you're carrying it if you are down there because they WILL ask to see it from time to time. The parks around Cleveland have been hit pretty hard. You can still find a silver here and there but they are getting scarce.

Thanks for this information it helps. I did apply for the permit, just waiting to hear back from park office.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
troppy12

troppy12

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
If you feel like driving an hour and a half east to Pennsylvania on RT 322. Metal detecting is allowed in Pymatuning state park, the park rangers told me that you just have to be off the beach by 10am during the summer when it's open. Other areas of the park are fine all day as long as your not disturbing people and of course not leaving divots where you dig. The beaches are pretty picked over anyways.

This sounds like a good plan, maybe a good Sunday drive! Thanks for the info!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a brass probe (link below) and a cheap screwdriver, like from Harbor Freight.

Garrett Treasure Probe Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco

In those parks that don't allow digging, just use a probe to retrieve objects. I can easily get most items less than 3-4" with a probe and screwdriver. In active parks I find most clad and jewelry within the top few inches of soil anyways. Look up YouTube videos on using the probe method.

Also hunt those parks at low traffic times when there are not a lot of people or staff around.

OP
OP
troppy12

troppy12

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Buy a brass probe (link below) and a cheap screwdriver, like from Harbor Freight. Garrett Treasure Probe Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco In those parks that don't allow digging, just use a probe to retrieve objects. I can easily get most items less than 3-4" with a probe and screwdriver. In active parks I find most clad and jewelry within the top few inches of soil anyways. Look up YouTube videos on using the probe method. Also hunt those parks at low traffic times when there are not a lot of people or staff around.

Thanks Jeremy,
This will help out a lot!

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if your going to head this way sometime I could meet you at Pymatuning, it's about 20 minutes from me.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleveland has a long history with many old, old houses. Why not just look for sandstone foundations, stop, strike up a conversation and ask permission?

My club was assisting a local police department looking for casings this week. In this yard maybe 100 by 300 we found a silver quarter, sleigh bell and a crushed silver cup of some sort.
We were finding everything except the casings or spent shells. The point is old yards are a treasure trove just waiting for discovery.

OP
OP
troppy12

troppy12

Greenie
Oct 14, 2014
Cleveland has a long history with many old, old houses. Why not just look for sandstone foundations, stop, strike up a conversation and ask permission? My club was assisting a local police department looking for casings this week. In this yard maybe 100 by 300 we found a silver quarter, sleigh bell and a crushed silver cup of some sort. We were finding everything except the casings or spent shells. The point is old yards are a treasure trove just waiting for discovery.

Thanks is good information!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread