Some Lessons Learned

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a frequent lurker and infrequent poster I have learned a lot about our hobby by reading all of the excellent posts (and some of the absurd ones!) on TN. The best threads for me have been those offering advice from long-time detectorists.

I cannot call myself a "seasoned" MD'er, with only a few years of experience, but I do have a few observations that I hope can only add to the foundation of great advice here. ( I have owned a detector for almost 10 years but only been serious about the hobby for three years.)

So, from a relative "newbie," here are my thoughts.

1. When the experienced folks talk about the importance of learning your machine, listen to them! I have had only four detectors, and have done my best to learn as much as I can about how they work and the nuances of each. This year I have been learning my Vaquaro, and it is amazing. Out for a short hunt last evening, a small variation of tone that died sharply at the nickle discrimination point made me stop and dig. I thought it was going to be another bottle cap or foil (there were lots of similar signals) but a small change in the tone made me wonder.

Well, first gold was the result! Not a big ring, and the stone (onyx, I think) was severely damaged by being buried for a long time, but GOLD! And, it is marked "Tiffany & Co," so it is a nice piece.

If I had not known that this signal sounded just a little different, it would still be lying there. Learn your machine! Everyone has a favorite, and I understand that, but whatever you are using take the time to understand what it is "saying." So far, after this summer, the Vaquaro and I are very good friends!

2. Stuff is where you find it not just where you think it should be. The ring I found was in a place that I had walked over at least a hundred times. It is a path in a small park that is frequented by nature lovers, birders, and hikers. I actually went there to see if my assessment of the spot was correct; I was sure there was nothing there. First good signal produced a quarter, second a penny, third a dime, forth a Tiffany gold ring. In all, I only dug six targets, two of which "fooled" me. One was a piece of 9 AWG solid copper wire and the other a piece of can slaw.

There are no "useless" places. If people go or have gone there it is worth a shot. That is my new mantra.

3. Patience is key. Go slow, enjoy the hunt, and be happy with the little things. I found a nice silver earring earlier this week. It made my day!

What a great way to spend a few hours or, like last evening, a few minutes, enjoying the anticipation of what could be in the next hole!

Input is always welcome!

Skip

IMG_0115 (600x800).jpg

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! Not just a gold ring, but Tiffany-stamped to boot.

Your advice was written well and includes a lot of good points. Thanks! :thumbsup:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find, and very sound advice. No pun intended.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most everything I've found that I treasure should not have been where I found it. The places I can't wait to get to because I think they are going to be my best hunt ever are the places I don't find squat. You never know what's in the ground until you put in a little effort. I found a 150 year old half dime in a place that's only been there since 1965, it had to be brought in with the fill dirt or something.

OP
OP
S

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, All,

First, thank you for the nice comments about my post. RobRieman; ain't that the truth! This ring has made me feel very foolish. I actually thought I could predict what "should" be a good place to hunt. Duh...

I thought you might like to see the ring after it has been polished and cleaned by a professional. The biggest surprise? It is lapis, not onyx! Best offer to date; $1200.00.

I am a very happy "old guy who digs up pull tabs and pennies!"

Polished Front 1.jpg

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice, nice find. Doesn't look damaged... And Tiffany too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread