TGP AT Pro Finds

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had small gold rings hit at 41-42 on the ATPRO... might want to expand your search parameters as you get familiar with the machine.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am Nowhere near familiar. went hunting on my lunch break. got a crushed soda can about 8" deep (66 Target) and a simple key ring about a foot deep in hard pack (69 target)

Am I wrong in the assumption that these are incorrect target #? I am a newb at this machine; 2nd day in....

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Nowhere near familiar. went hunting on my lunch break. got a crushed soda can about 8" deep (66 Target) and a simple key ring about a foot deep in hard pack (69 target)

Am I wrong in the assumption that these are incorrect target #? I am a newb at this machine; 2nd day in....

Aluminum will drive a guy nuts. It can ring in at anything above 60 depending on how much there is and what shape its in. Can slaw of the right size and shape can make a convincing quarter target. I dug an aluminum trade token that I almost passed up on because I was sick of zincons.

Best bet when you're starting is to hit areas with a lot of people like a soccer field or a baseball field. Look to where the bystanders watch or sit. I hit a baseball complex this morning to learn my brand new detector and quit after pulling up several quarters, dimes, and pennies. I'm saving the rest for tomorrow when I bring my 8 yr out with an f2.

You should find that clad dimes and pennies can often have the same VDI too. Even my new Etrac has difficulty differentiating them.

Stick with it, the AT Pros a really good machine.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aluminum will drive a guy nuts. It can ring in at anything above 60 depending on how much there is and what shape its in. Can slaw of the right size and shape can make a convincing quarter target. I dug an aluminum trade token that I almost passed up on because I was sick of zincons. Best bet when you're starting is to hit areas with a lot of people like a soccer field or a baseball field. Look to where the bystanders watch or sit. I hit a baseball complex this morning to learn my brand new detector and quit after pulling up several quarters, dimes, and pennies. I'm saving the rest for tomorrow when I bring my 8 yr out with an f2. You should find that clad dimes and pennies can often have the same VDI too. Even my new Etrac has difficulty differentiating them. Stick with it, the AT Pros a really good machine.

Thanks for the support and tips! Im working a ball field near my work.. Problem is, it isnt that old of a field. :)
Always a learning experience

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum, slaw, pull tabs, etc., will make you nuts. Especially after digging 8" down. Just toss in your trash bag and keep digging. You will hit soon enough. Just use PRO All metal, and use your ears and listen. Dig 40 and up.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aluminum, slaw, pull tabs, etc., will make you nuts. Especially after digging 8" down. Just toss in your trash bag and keep digging. You will hit soon enough. Just use PRO All metal, and use your ears and listen.
Sounds great. Thanks!
Are there Any target numbers I should never pass up? Such as 90+?

Ace^of^Spades

Jul 17, 2014
CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

I need help identifying two types of bullets please see the attached images. The big one looks to be 7/16 inch cal. The other is 5/16 inc cal. Just eyeball, did not use a caliper to get those measures. Thanks much guys!

IMG_3586.jpg IMG_3587.jpg IMG_3588.jpg IMG_3590.jpg IMG_3591.jpg IMG_3592.jpg

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TGP, dig it all. The numbers are just an educated guess. Depth, size, orientation, all can effect how the numbers come up.

Think of it this way... If you dig it all over 40, you won't miss anything but iron.

Oh and on bottle caps.... Listen for the grunt before and after the high hit. Once you dig a few of them, you'll understand.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great. Thanks!
Are there Any target numbers I should never pass up? Such as 90+?

if you are new...dig crazy numbers some times not saying go out and dig everything every time...but on ball fields..I dig any numbers that only bounce 1 or 2 numbers...if you get a target that starts as a 60..then keeps bouncing to 70..it's probably junk..plus you can change where you are standing and see if the numer stays the same..that's how I can tell if it's round...good luck man

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you are new...dig crazy numbers some times not saying go out and dig everything every time...but on ball fields..I dig any numbers that only bounce 1 or 2 numbers...if you get a target that starts as a 60..then keeps bouncing to 70..it's probably junk..plus you can change where you are standing and see if the numer stays the same..that's how I can tell if it's round...good luck man
Thats something that would have only come with experience; Thanks!

Hopefully i will have Something to show today

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also make sure your detector batteries are fresh or recharged. Weak batteries can make for a bad field day.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also make sure your detector batteries are fresh or recharged. Weak batteries can make for a bad field day.
Good call. They came with the detector... Should change them

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1 hr detecting. 4 soda cans, one tall can (All Targets above 68), and 2 pull tabs.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is all about sound, once you learn the sounds for the different hits you will be amazed how much you find. It will take a good 100 hours of use before you start knowing what sounds are good signals and another 200 hours before you know what the tiniest beep is. The ATP is much more sensitive than anyone can believe. Also experiment a lot with settings.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The ATP is all about sound, once you learn the sounds for the different hits you will be amazed how much you find. It will take a good 100 hours of use before you start knowing what sounds are good signals and another 200 hours before you know what the tiniest beep is. The ATP is much more sensitive than anyone can believe. Also experiment a lot with settings.
100 hours of testing before I understand it?! Holy...wow
Im learning that just because it is a higher Target, means nothing just for the sake of a #.
I cant wait til im pro, using this ATPro

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had mine since feb 2014 and am still learning it... I have found so much stuff... Over 1000 coins... I am old school... started detacting in the late 70's... Dig everything that is solid repeatable 40 and up. Us old guys dig by sound... not by what the vdi says... If it is solid and repeatable dig it :-) The new guys that do not want to put in the time to truly learn all of the sounds are the ones that give it bad reviews... Learn it and you will love it....
Gary from Oregon...

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had mine since feb 2014 and am still learning it... I have found so much stuff... Over 1000 coins... I am old school... started detacting in the late 70's... Dig everything that is solid repeatable 40 and up. Us old guys dig by sound... not by what the vdi says... If it is solid and repeatable dig it :-) The new guys that do not want to put in the time to truly learn all of the sounds are the ones that give it bad reviews... Learn it and you will love it.... Gary from Oregon...
Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread