Making the jump from Nugget hunting

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

This is my first post outside of the gold prospecting section, so forgive me if there are threads that answer many of my questions as I have not had the time to track them down.

That being said, I have been nugget hunting for a couple of years in California and have found some nice gold. But, honestly I get tired bush whacking to get to my patches sometimes and would like to try some more accessible places to find relics. I realized that Im living on top of a gold mine of relics as my house is in a gold rush boom town and dates back to the 1860's. Additionally I have access to numerous neighbors property that will keep me busy for ages.

Problem is my equipment is not suited for relics (at least I don't think it is). I currently run a GPX 5000, so it is clear I may need to check out some new detector.

Any advice to a relic newbie would be great.

Cheers
calgeo

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick up a VLF and get to digging :) While your GPX is an outstanding machine your going to want discrimination abilities. Consider how much ya wanna spend and be ready for a learning curve. You probably already know that so make it easy on yourself with a good mid level machine at first. Garrets AT and GTI's are good starts, Whites DFX and Spectrums or Fishers. Heck be be the first kid on the block to report on the Fors Core. Other than that I hope you have fun and find some cool stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread