Ever Get Made Fun Of For Metal Detecting? Any Good Comebacks?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Upvote 0

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
I have not had any problems. It probably helps to be female. Most people are curious and ask me questions about detecting, or what I am finding. I ask them about the area, and if they have any lost jewelry stories. I have found several unsearched area where teens have partied in the "old days." I have a site that has a ghost town from the 1800's, and old oil rigs that I am waiting for my dad to come to town to hunt with him. The drawback to being female is that I have to be especially aware of where I hunt, what time it is, and who else is out there. Carrying a huge knife helps, but you never know. My coworkers get a kick out of me hunting. They look forward to Monday mornings when I bring in the loot.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
This doens't really apply to detecting, but I heard it the other day and have decided to try and incorporate it into my daily speech as much as possible.

"I swear by all that is holy, that when you die, a retarded ferret will be born to maintain balance in the cosmos"

steve

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Posted this story long ago under another username, but it was later lost when I deleted the account...

One day a fisherman at a small park lake walked over to where I was detecting and said with a supercilious sneer, "I guess you thought you were really going to get rich when you bought that thing!"

"No, sir," I replied in a quiet, polite tone. I paused for a moment and then asked, "Did you think you were going to open a fish market when you bought that rod and reel?"

dobie

Feb 12, 2006
corry, pa
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, bounty hunter scout
i can remember looking at guys at the fair grounds detecting, and thinking "what the heck is that idiot doing looking for pennies?",,,now i am that idiot ;D :D ;D ;D
dobie

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
PBK said:
Posted this story long ago under another username, but it was later lost when I deleted the account...

One day a fisherman at a small park lake walked over to where I was detecting and said with a supercilious sneer, "I guess you thought you were really going to get rich when you bought that thing!"

"No, sir," I replied in a quiet, polite tone. I paused for a moment and then asked, "Did you think you were going to open a fish market when you bought that rod and reel?"
HEY! I was close, maybe im not that old yet..lol

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
detectordave said:
HEY! I was close, maybe im not that old yet..lol

LOL! :D

Sorry, Dave... couldn't resist!

And don't worry— I'm old enough for both of us.

In fact, I'll probably forget and post it again before the day is out! :P

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Prizm II, White's PI Pro, Sov. GT
Last week when I found my GOLD cross, I had two 14 yr.olds walk by me and they were laughing. I was thinking, yeah I am laughing too, all the way to the bank.
Yesterday I went to a small town tot lot, and had this little 5 yr. old come up to me and say, "You're supposed to fill your holes",I told him to tell his parents that my holes are filled, now be off with you kid! I gave him a nasty look. I hate that.
Another time at a tot lot I had this teacher, she was pretty young, ask me with a sneer, Finding milk money? I said yeah, and a few silver charms, shut her right up!!

Anyway, I don't care what people think because I am having fun, and really enjoy the hobby. To each his own!!

Eileena

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Oh, all the time. I detect on my lunch bteak at a park down the road from the plant.

"Are you rich yet?" No, I still have to work with you turkeys.

"Here. Here's a penny" No thanks, I'm only in it for the thrill of the hunt.

"I wouldn't dig holes for 10¢ an hour." I see you don't even do much for $20 an hour.

Charlie...hope you don't mind if I use those..lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SC_hunter said:
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Oh, all the time. I detect on my lunch bteak at a park down the road from the plant.

"Are you rich yet?" No, I still have to work with you turkeys.

"Here. Here's a penny" No thanks, I'm only in it for the thrill of the hunt.

"I wouldn't dig holes for 10¢ an hour." I see you don't even do much for $20 an hour.

Charlie...hope you don't mind if I use those..lol

Have to ask Marc. ;) They're the property of TN now. :D

Go ahead - anything I put on the Internet I figure is public domain. If your act makes it to HBO I want 10% of the gate.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since when do I need your approval to do stuff? only little kids need approval to do stuff---so leave me alone so I can play in the dirt.---Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
are you rich yet? ---yep, thats why I can spend all day metal detecting while your working.

what are you doing ? finding and cleaning up trash dumped by slobs and sometimes items of great historical and monetary value now and then.

find any thing? yes--- I find happiness in metal detecting all day long.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following quote is from MEinWV

"Another time at a fresh water beach, a Donzi cruises by, and a lady sunbathing on the bow says; Hey! look at the scavenger. I just looked up, waved, and smiled (That same day I found a Gruen, 17 jewel swiss watch, still working great!)"

When you get enough diamond rings we can all cruise around in a Donzi!!

[/quote]

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working around the ticket booth at a local middle school gymnasium just coin shooting and doing quite well I might add. Some smart guy came by and asked if I wasn't ashamed for stealing the kids lunch money. I told him I wasn't near as ashamed as I would be when I found his old lady's wedding ring. He ruffled up his feathers and huffed off. Monty

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NAAAAA...never! Well...except for Charlie. :P He comes home every day and asks if we're rich yet. ;D He's always says, "Can I retire yet?" :D I say, "Not yet...but I'm workin on it!" ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get made fun of? By my brother, all the time....but I take it in stride.

Here's my revenge. I'll just post this picture of my brother teasing me at the beach.

HPIM1422.JPG

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Last week I was tot lot hunting and found some clad and a guy come up and asked "getting rich yet?"
I just said " no, but I have found enough to pay for this $700 detector and $200 in accessories for it....and paid for it in CASH, that I found" You should have seen it, his eyes almost popped out of his head!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a fella on the tnet here that found a very rare gold coin.They did an article on it and him in W&ET.He said "I like to keep a copy in my pocket."When someone asks if Ive found anything I say" yes,look athis magazine.This guy found a gold coin!Oh thats me".That usually shuts them up.I will not soon forget that one.I still LMAO everytime I tell that story too

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
spez401 said:
The first time i went away with my inlaws (to the bahamas in 1997) I brought my detector. There i was, on the beach, and my father-in-law and both brother-in-laws were throwing change in front of me (which of course I picked up). They were laughing and joking and having a good time (which I pointedly ignored).

Then I got a hit, scooped up a very nice diamond ring, follwed about 2 mins later by a bracelet, and an empty pack of smokes with a $100 bill in it. I casually walked back to them, showed them the ring, bracelet, and $100 bucks... smiled and went back to detecting. They still harass me on occasion... and then ask what I've found.

oh... and as a bonus to this story, that night, I took my shiny new $100 bill, split it up into two $50s. I played blackjack for almost an hour on $50 until i lost it, then, put the other $50 on #7 on the roulette wheel (my birthday is 7/7/74)... and won $1,750. That was the BEST comeback line EVER

steve

Good on ya champ, I LOVE it. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread