Ever Get Made Fun Of For Metal Detecting? Any Good Comebacks?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

I usually just show the 1/4 oz gold ring i found and then they usually shut up.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time people just honk as they drive buy. Occasionally someone comes up and asks if I got rich that day. I usually have to say "no." (I feel like I should check my pride at the front desk and resist the urge to tell strangers about all the great finds I've made in the past decade and a half.) The most I will talk about finds with total strangers is to tell them about the lost items I have returned to their owners through the years. Then they often ask what I've found since I started detectin. I just smile and say "good stuff."

Usually I just get strange looks because I am young. Most people think detectorists all look like this guy:
old man.jpg
They aren't usually expecting a clean-shaven, well-dressed, young college professor. But at least I challenge that silly stereotype.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• old man.jpg
    old man.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3,462

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
BuckleBoy said:
They aren't usually expecting a clean-shaven, well-dressed, young college professor. But at least I challenge that silly stereotype.

Heh, try being a long haired heavy metal musician... I'm about as far from the stereotype as one can be.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, all the time. I detect on my lunch bteak at a park down the road from the plant.

"Are you rich yet?" No, I still have to work with you turkeys.

"Here. Here's a penny" No thanks, I'm only in it for the thrill of the hunt.

"I wouldn't dig holes for 10¢ an hour." I see you don't even do much for $20 an hour.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
They aren't usually expecting a clean-shaven, well-dressed, young college professor. But at least I challenge that silly stereotype.Regards,
Buckleboy

Buckleboy-
We all loved one famous, well dressed, clean shaven, young college prof. who was a treasure hunter(like you). = Indiana Jones!

By the way Indiana Jones 4 is due out May 22, 2008. I for one can't wait.

I loved the beach bum picture I'm going to save it on my computer screen saver at work!

Ian

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Don't wanna be bothered? Just have a tee or jacket printed up with Nuclear (or Radiation) Detection Team on the Back! Then when people approach you, wave them back like their life depends on it! ;D

HH Joe

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
The best one yet was my neighbor asks if I found any diamonds yet. My response is it's a METAL detector.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Most of the time people just honk as they drive buy. Occasionally someone comes up and asks if I got rich that day. I usually have to say "no." (I feel like I should check my pride at the front desk and resist the urge to tell strangers about all the great finds I've made in the past decade and a half.) The most I will talk about finds with total strangers is to tell them about the lost items I have returned to their owners through the years. Then they often ask what I've found since I started detectin. I just smile and say "good stuff."

Usually I just get strange looks because I am young. Most people think detectorists all look like this guy:

Regards,

Buckleboy
I dont remember giving you a pic of me. The stereotype I usually run into is for some reason people think I drive a junker for a car that has half the front end missing! Go figure.

T

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell them "piss off,clerk"

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Some replies when asked what I'm doing.

1) Looking for body parts

2 ) Cleaning the trash out of the water. 2 more yrs and my community service is over and I can stay under house arrest for 2 more yrs.

3) Trying to chase away Sharks

4) Looking for radioactive material that was dumped here

5) I collect bottle caps and pull tabs

HH 8) surfrat

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I tell them since I am retired I have to due something to stay in shape.... now get back to work. In the cool weather I wear a blue wind breaker with a logo on the front it looks official so most of the time they think I am doing some kind of work. If I used a BH detector I could have Bounty Hunter printed on the back of the jacket and just turn my back to them when they ask those worn out questions.

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
I loved all the comebacks I read so far; especially looking for radioactive material. Still I think I might get a T-shirt made up (official looking of course) that says "LAND MINE SWEEPER". I just don't know what type of panic I would start in the community if anyone actually approached me though. :)

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
desecrator said:
BuckleBoy said:

Heh, try being a long haired heavy metal musician... I'm about as far from the stereotype as one can be.

Very similar situation here - I'm a long haired biker (who plays in a classic rock band). I see a lot of people that purposely avoid coming close to me!! ;)

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I'm 42 and over weight. I hunt in a speedo and sandals. I don't usually have to worry about people wanting to talk. If anyone approaches I try to hug them. Of course IM kiddding but I bet it would work! HH dave.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
detectordave said:
I'm 42 and over weight. I hunt in a speedo and sandals. I don't usually have to worry about people wanting to talk. If anyone approaches I try to hug them. Of course IM kiddding but I bet it would work! HH dave.

Try a thong, then you wont have to worry about anyone approaching. Works great for me.. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread