metal detector for my 5 year old daughter

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I'm trying to figure out what metal detector I can get my daughter for Christmas. She is almost 4 feet tall now and loves to hunt with me but she can't carry my detector its way to big for her. So any advice would be good. I want a nice one for her not a cheap one. I'm also looking for a mine lab xterra 70 for me. I had one but had to sale it to pay a huge ticket I got on my motorcycle. If you can help out with advice it would be appreciated thank you.

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre. Simple as can be, effective, great price, lifetime warranty. Be careful though, she will out hunt you!

OP
OP
C

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
Thank you I'll look at them. Can I adjust the length of the shaft

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever someone asks what they should get for their little kid, the beeper fans jump in recommending adult-size detectors, which was the problem in the first place.

The only US "real" metal detector designed specifically for little kids is the Bounty Hunter Junior. Adults tend to sneer at it because it's obviously not for them-- which of course is the point of it! It's not high performance, but within its performance limitations it does its job very well.

Several years ago I was asked to find a recently lost item of kid's jewelry in a church lawn, a church that's been around a long time. It was a job for which I could have used almost anything at any price, but for a small almost-surface item in a trashy lawn, the BH Jr was a better choice than the "big guns" and the BH Jr. is what I used for the search. .....I didn't find the lost item (I think she lost it somewhere else other than where she thought): my point is that the BH Jr. is a real metal detector that I not only designed, but upon occasion have used in preference to all the other units I have available.

[Don't buy it at Big Lots, their system has it priced wrong. Widely available elsewhere in the $55-75 range, and of course support your forum sponsors.]

Last edited:

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got an 11 year old daughter and I was looking at getting the fischer f2 with dd coil.
firstly the dd coil will help her as her coil disapline isn't that good.
secondly she likes seeing a target Id number and relates to the numberbeter than a bar on the screen
and finnaly the preset ground balance means when she plays with the buttons the ground balance should still be in the ball park.
It runs about 300 bucks. I may look online for a used at pro if the right deal comes up.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Some 11 year olds are big enough to handle an adult sized metal detector, others aren't. No 5-year-old should be expected to swing an adult-sized metal detector.

Some adult sized metal detectors have such lousy ergonomics that they're a problem even for adults. The Ace 250 comes to mind: it doesn't weigh much, but it's like swinging an anvil on the end of a pole. Some of the Minelab models have such a bad combo of weight and ergonomics that Minelab users not infrequently post they had to give 'em up because they were developing orthopedic problems.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a good one for kids.

5 is pretty young but if she's already hunting I would definitely consider it. I started with one myself and it WILL find treasure. It'll even surprise you once in a while. It's also inexpensive.
It kills the clad too which will keep any kid busy and happy.

The BH Junior is a good kid's machine as the above poster pointed out but when my nephew got one he tired of it rather quickly. He asked for a detector for Christmas and he got the BH Jr. I think he expected a little more performance and ended up disappointed. He dug WAY more trash than treasure with it and got frustrated after a while.
I may give him my Tracker IV as an "upgrade".

Then again, I have no doubt that lots of kids LOVE their BH Juniors. It's definitely simple enough for a five year old but if she's a smart one that already hunts, you may want something a wee bit better.

Good luck in whatever you ultimately choose.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beeper Fans- Seriously Woof? The shaft can be set short, the balance is fine, and if she gives it up he has a good detector. Where is the Junior made? China?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the excellent Tesoro Compadre.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett ACE 150 ... :thumbsup:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Five years old? Just get the lightest, smallest, cheapest detector you can find. By the end of the week she'll move on to play-dough and finger-paints, and the detector will be on the bottom of the toy-box.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eurotek pro has a removable center shaft that makes it the perfect size for kids. And when she gets bored you can use it for a backup because it's a very good machine

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience, from having tried this, the digital displays are too much for a 5 year old. A simple beep is easier for them to focus on. Keep it simple, it beeps, they dig.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my experience, from having tried this, the digital displays are too much for a 5 year old. A simple beep is easier for them to focus on. Keep it simple, it beeps, they dig.

That may be true but MANY kids are way smarter than people give them credit for. Heck, even babies are highly intelligent.
Just consider all that they learn in their first year alone.

Plus, many kids these days are already messing with computers when they're 2 or 3 years old.
They pick it really easy when they're young.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ultimately, I would get the detector that best suits her as an individual. Maybe you could just ask her what kind she would like and what she expects from a detector since she already loves to hunt. She may just surprise you and make the choice WAY easier for you.

I let my boys pick out their own fishing poles early on and they wanted nothing to do with those short little "kiddy" poles. They wanted something cooler and ended up with simple closed face reels on short rods but not those really short kiddy ones. Most of those are junk anyway.

Guess what?? They caught lots of fish. My oldest caught his first small mouth bass at the age of THREE and it was a 14 incher. He caught it on a live crawdad. He opted to take it home and eat it too after I explained that it would have to die in order to do that. He calmly said to me "Let's kill it".
I'll never forget it no matter how long I may live. He ate that fish too; not all at once but he was happy and proud. He still loves bass.

As you're probably aware, you cannot underestimate the intelligence of kids. They're extremely smart. They often just haven't been alive long enough to articulate what they really know.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread