Lost my detector

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I went to use my metal detector in the truck and it's not there. Small amount of panic I decided that I must of drove away without it at the last park I was metal detecting.
Now there's just a lot of homeless people that are always in a park in the metal tech is worth about 1600.00.
So I'm figuring I'll never see the Metal detector again.. I drive down to the park and walk through the park talking to All the homeless in the park.my business card with them and offering an award for the detector.
I was most interested in talking to a gentleman that's always there and his pile of found items covered up all the time. Of Course he was not there.
I'm lost property form for the Tucson Police Department and I sit in the parking lot waiting for this guy to come back.
The phone Rings and it's one of the homeless women that has found my metal detector. She is one park over at the time.
I drive over and sure enough she has my metal detector so I gave her $100 reward

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I went to use my metal detector in the truck and it's not there. Small amount of panic I decided that I must of drove away without it at the last park I was metal detecting.
Now there's just a lot of homeless people that are always in a park in the metal tech is worth about 1600.00.
So I'm figuring I'll never see the Metal detector again.. I drive down to the park and walk through the park talking to All the homeless in the park.my business card with them and offering an award for the detector.
I was most interested in talking to a gentleman that's always there and his pile of found items covered up all the time. Of Course he was not there.
I'm lost property form for the Tucson Police Department and I sit in the parking lot waiting for this guy to come back.
The phone Rings and it's one of the homeless women that has found my metal detector. She is one park over at the time.
I drive over and sure enough she has my metal detector so I gave her $100 reward

you can Thank your Lucky stars there are Homeless Scavengers in your world :thumbsup:
around here I'm not even sure they Exist, so if mine Disappeared, I'd have to hope for the finder taking the time to read the local Lost & found

Last edited:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely, Good find.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You are lucky .. I hear of one's leaving there digger tool & pin pointer and lost them …BUT this is the first time i ever heard of some one that forgot to take there detector home with them.

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see- you went metal detecting at a park with a $1,600 machine and left it there and went home for the night ..............I don't get it.........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it with mine already.
Propped it on the back of my Vehicle,
started talking about our day & the next days Plans.
Hopped in My vehicle, Backed up over my detector & pulled out.
a mile down the road long term memory made me think.
"I don't remember loading my detector" :unhappysmiley:

& yes Panic takes over ,

and that 1 minute mile Back seems like Hours that will never end.
especially when that "Funny Noise" I heard backing up pops into my Head :tongue3:

it's an age thing

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure she was as grateful getting the reward as you were getting your detector back. That was nice of you to give her $100. It's nice to know that just because the lady was homeless she was honest.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very lucky! Glad to hear you got it back.

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha. Left my new cell phone at a dig site 2 days ago. Took me 45 min to realize. The rush back is very stressful. Luckily it was dark out and still there.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why I have a lanyard on my pinpointer. I walked away from it, and at the next dig my heart dropped when I went to pinpoint only to find an empty holster.Thank goodness it was only 10 feet away. Can't even imagine what losing your detector would feel like.

Last edited:

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I went to my truck to get my stuff out and my digger was missing. I figured I left it at the park I was at the day before at my last targeet site so I went back and it was not thereand I was a bit upset with myself that bI had been such an gooff and lost it. When I got home I later found it in the flower bed the daughter had used it and left it laying in the flower bed. LOL had to talk to her about using dads things though.

OP
OP
lenjsr

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it with mine already. Propped it on the back of my Vehicle, started talking about our day & the next days Plans. Hopped in My vehicle, Backed up over my detector & pulled out. a mile down the road long term memory made me think. "I don't remember loading my detector" :unhappysmiley: & yes Panic takes over , and that 1 minute mile Back seems like Hours that will never end. especially when that "Funny Noise" I heard backing up pops into my Head :tongue3: it's an age thing

Propped on side of car exactly what I did.

OP
OP
lenjsr

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see- you went metal detecting at a park with a $1,600 machine and left it there and went home for the night ..............I don't get it.........

Just getting old. It happens

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did it with mine already.
Propped it on the back of my Vehicle,
started talking about our day & the next days Plans.
Hopped in My vehicle, Backed up over my detector & pulled out.
a mile down the road long term memory made me think.
"I don't remember loading my detector" :unhappysmiley:

& yes Panic takes over ,

and that 1 minute mile Back seems like Hours that will never end.
especially when that "Funny Noise" I heard backing up pops into my Head :tongue3:

it's an age thing

it surprises me that you are still allowed to drive

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:hello2: So glad your ordeal had such a happy ending for both you and the honest homeless woman! :hello2: Last year while detecting around a very popular lake near ocean, I propped my detector against a post while dumping my junk finds into a big trash can, all the while chatting with my husband nonstop. Next we headed down the long path to the restrooms, and it was only while doing my business that I realized: no detector! Raced out to find my hubby and he galloped back for my detector while I with my bum knee trotted back, lol. I felt actual big grief feeling for sure someone had lifted the detector and raced away! I love my well-used little Bounty Hunter. Big relief when we saw it still propped against that pole! :icon_thumright: Andi

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Nice thing 9 out of 10 will wonder if your within Eyesight.
and probably stake it out for a little .

that is unless they are spry enough to grab & run :laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great story,glad the lady was so honest. We have. Even thinking about getting some groin the dark duct tape for our pinpointers and small digging shovels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread