Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been MD-ing for a few months now, and while my wife has been at my side for every hunt I can tell she wants to do more than carry the backpack full of tools and water bottles. I have told her plenty of times that if she doesn't want to watch me have all the fun or feels bored to just let me know. We agreed that a second MD would be a good idea.

Last weekend I asked if she felt comfortable using our Coinmaster and she said that as long as she could shorten it to a comfortable length and it wasn't too heavy she would be fine with it. At only 2 1/2 lbs and after adjusting the height she was soon swinging it around effortlessly. The only caveat is that she would also like another handheld pinpointer, which is no problem.

anyways I was looking for a new detector for myself, hoping to use it for general relic hunting/coin shooting. I would also like a detector that can scan saltwater sand, possibly with the option to take it underwater in freshwater rivers. Numerical readout is a must, and discrepancy options as well as a built-in pinpointer. something with changeable coils would be nice, especially if it means having the ability to sweep saltwater sand with a bigger coil.

I have looked on the site Metal Detector News, Reviews and Ratings and have been looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, and AT Pro. I am open to other models/manufacturers as well

thanks for your input :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the Whites mxt detectors. The mxt model is probably Whites most versatile "do it all detector" (with an asterik*) coin and jewelry, relic, prospecting, saltwater surf and desert, freshwater surf. The only downside is the screen and control box are not waterproof. The pinpointing and depth reading on the mxt detectors are "Spot On".
You can get a Whites mxt pro for a tad under $750.

PS the asterik * I mentioned above would mean you would need to purchase a few different search coils to go along with the mxt detectors in order to make it the versatile machine it can be.
Relic hunting you would want a big coil between the 10 and 15 inch range.(Bigger coils mean deeper depth).
Prospecting you would want a smaller coil like a 6"
Beaches you would want something like a 10" or a 12" coil
coin and jewelry is hit and miss- get a 6" coil for hunting in trashy areas or a larger 10 or 12 inch coil for big lawns/yards, beaches, desolate parks and fields.

The mxt pro comes with the DD 10" coil- just purchase a 6 inch coil and/or a 12 or 15 inch coil for deep relic hunting and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The AT Pro can go under water to 10' deep. Very good discrimination with the numerical ID. Found a 7" deep dime shortly after doing the ground balance. Kept passing the coil over it & it was 80-85 (dime range) every sweep. That old 1,001 acre Stanley Park just has to have a few more goodies. Best wishes!

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the AT Pro. Love mine. The numerical readout is spot on with coins. On a good scan the reading will display within 2-3 digits. Options for interchangeable coils, waterproof to 10', pinpoint feature, manual or auto ground balance, iron discrimination, etc etc etc the list goes on n on with features. I however have no input on saltwater or beaches. As far as a land detector/ fresh water detector I love it.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
There are many good choices out there.

The one item I would point out is to make sure that you get a machine that runs on a different frequency so that you can hunt closely together without interference.

The coinmaster is an 8 kHz machine, so regardless what catches your eye check the frequency.

I was at a park detecting and someone pulled out a 'Sears Special' and I couldn't get within 25 feet of them.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the ATP and love it...But I think since you have a few more bucks to spend, maybe like a Minelab Safari or something on them lines.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
AT pro would be nice, and would leave enough in the budget for another pinpointer.

You might want to consider saving up a little more, and going for a high end detector, like Deus or CTX. I have bought three detectors in 10 months. If I had known a bit more, I could have bought fewer

Just my thoughts. GL!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been MD-ing for a few months now, and while my wife has been at my side for every hunt I can tell she wants to do more than carry the backpack full of tools and water bottles. I have told her plenty of times that if she doesn't want to watch me have all the fun or feels bored to just let me know. We agreed that a second MD would be a good idea.

Last weekend I asked if she felt comfortable using our Coinmaster and she said that as long as she could shorten it to a comfortable length and it wasn't too heavy she would be fine with it. At only 2 1/2 lbs and after adjusting the height she was soon swinging it around effortlessly. The only caveat is that she would also like another handheld pinpointer, which is no problem.

anyways I was looking for a new detector for myself, hoping to use it for general relic hunting/coin shooting. I would also like a detector that can scan saltwater sand, possibly with the option to take it underwater in freshwater rivers. Numerical readout is a must, and discrepancy options as well as a built-in pinpointer. something with changeable coils would be nice, especially if it means having the ability to sweep saltwater sand with a bigger coil.

I have looked on the site Metal Detector News, Reviews and Ratings and have been looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, and AT Pro. I am open to other models/manufacturers as well

thanks for your input :icon_thumleft:

This really seems like a loaded question. You have already made your mind up. The only detector that meets your needs with a display and in your price range is the one you have already decided on. The Garrett Sea Hunter is a pulse induction detector with no discrimination and no display.

OP
OP
T

TheHappyCanadian

Sep 14, 2014
Vancouver
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett AT Pro
Deteknix Xpointer
ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many good choices out there.

The one item I would point out is to make sure that you get a machine that runs on a different frequency so that you can hunt closely together without interference.

The coinmaster is an 8 kHz machine, so regardless what catches your eye check the frequency.

I was at a park detecting and someone pulled out a 'Sears Special' and I couldn't get within 25 feet of them.

at the last group meetup at the beach, a member's son was following me with his detector during the coin scramble and would sweep every hole I filled since I was finding a lot. Of course he had the same model as me and would make my machine tweek whenever he was within 10 feet of me.

I didn't want to discourage him so I told him to look for areas where people hadn't yet dug. he also found a $3500 ring that day so he had a pretty good day: local-treasure-hunters-find-lost-ring-in-vancouver - oct-20-2014

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This really seems like a loaded question. You have already made your mind up. The only detector that meets your needs with a display and in your price range is the one you have already decided on. The Garrett Sea Hunter is a pulse induction detector with no discrimination and no display.
Yes that is what i thought also you answered your own question in your post..

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been MD-ing for a few months now, and while my wife has been at my side for every hunt I can tell she wants to do more than carry the backpack full of tools and water bottles. I have told her plenty of times that if she doesn't want to watch me have all the fun or feels bored to just let me know. We agreed that a second MD would be a good idea. Last weekend I asked if she felt comfortable using our Coinmaster and she said that as long as she could shorten it to a comfortable length and it wasn't too heavy she would be fine with it. At only 2 1/2 lbs and after adjusting the height she was soon swinging it around effortlessly. The only caveat is that she would also like another handheld pinpointer, which is no problem. anyways I was looking for a new detector for myself, hoping to use it for general relic hunting/coin shooting. I would also like a detector that can scan saltwater sand, possibly with the option to take it underwater in freshwater rivers. Numerical readout is a must, and discrepancy options as well as a built-in pinpointer. something with changeable coils would be nice, especially if it means having the ability to sweep saltwater sand with a bigger coil. I have looked on the site Metal Detector News, Reviews and Ratings and have been looking at the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, and AT Pro. I am open to other models/manufacturers as well thanks for your input :icon_thumleft:

AT Pro.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
As and as I hate to admit it, sounds like the AT Pro is exactly what you need.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I myself have an ATGold. Which is very similar to the Pro. Different kHz for one. The ATPro is good in salt water too, at least I've heard. I believe you have to play with the sensitivity a bit. Plus you can change frequencies. So even if somebody has one nearby you could still operate literally on top of each other. The main thing is to learn the machine and practice and dig everything till you understand most sounds. Or sometimes the absence of sounds. This pertains to any machine you choose. I don't think you can go wrong with this detector for a relic machine. Sure you could spend more, but I think it'll do as good as most out there for relics.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run the ATP and love it...But I think since you have a few more bucks to spend, maybe like a Minelab Safari or something on them lines.

Same-same. ^^^ :thumbsup:

I love my ATP but now looking for a better one, and my plans are to use my AT with a sniper coil and an Anderson shaft. It'll be a designated river rat at that point, because for the money there are better detectors available.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you intend to use it in saltwater, you need a pulse induction machine like the Sea Hunter or Sand Shark.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX is the one that fits everything you described.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you intend to use it in saltwater, you need a pulse induction machine like the Sea Hunter or Sand Shark.

The ATP as good as it is is not a good detector for wet saltwater beaches because of various amounts of salt and black sand. Some beaches it works fine and others it falses to much. Great on dry sand or freshwater however. Just to give you a heads up. PI's are great in saltwater, but have no display or hardly any Disc. and are extremely deep.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CTX is too expensive and masks out good targets in iron infested sites like old home sites...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread