Review from Harbor Freight metal detector $2000 gold nugget!

longlivethejeep

Oct 26, 2014
Bear Valley, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across this review of an el-cheapo metal detector from Harbor Freight (yes, I know they're crap. It's the review that's funny as hell!)

This is my review of the 9 function metal detector I purchased at my favorite store!
My son and I recently went to Harbor Freight. I wanted to buy the 9 function metal detector and my son wanted the 3 -1/16" stainless steel folding knife. I purchased both items and then we were on our way.
There is a known gold area called "Rich Hill" here in Arizona and when my son and I finally got to our destination I started to metal detect right away. My son, Harold Fred Taylor, wanted to play with the box the metal detector came in. While I was detecting I see little Harold playing with his new pocket knife and he is cutting the picture of the metal detector that is on the box. I thought to myself "How cute" then I notice he was mimicking me and using the cut out picture to try to detect something. He would swing it back and forth like I was and make a beeping noise. Then Harold shouted "Dad, I think I got something'!" I ran over and saw him pointing to a gold nugget! I couldn't believe my eyes. To make a long story short I am now $2000 wealthier because of a cut out picture from the metal detector box I proudly bought at Harbor Freight Tools.

Upvote 0

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner 4 sure

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this will work when he turns 16 and wants a car! :BangHead:

Probably work when he wants a girlfriend too. Cut out a picture, swing it around going BEEP BEEP BEEP Just a thought

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably work when he wants a girlfriend too. Cut out a picture, swing it around going BEEP BEEP BEEP Just a thought

I think he will use a different picture for that. ;)

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran across this review of an el-cheapo metal detector from Harbor Freight (yes, I know they're crap. It's the review that's funny as hell!) This is my review of the 9 function metal detector I purchased at my favorite store! My son and I recently went to Harbor Freight. I wanted to buy the 9 function metal detector and my son wanted the 3 -1/16" stainless steel folding knife. I purchased both items and then we were on our way. There is a known gold area called "Rich Hill" here in Arizona and when my son and I finally got to our destination I started to metal detect right away. My son, Harold Fred Taylor, wanted to play with the box the metal detector came in. While I was detecting I see little Harold playing with his new pocket knife and he is cutting the picture of the metal detector that is on the box. I thought to myself "How cute" then I notice he was mimicking me and using the cut out picture to try to detect something. He would swing it back and forth like I was and make a beeping noise. Then Harold shouted "Dad, I think I got something'!" I ran over and saw him pointing to a gold nugget! I couldn't believe my eyes. To make a long story short I am now $2000 wealthier because of a cut out picture from the metal detector box I proudly bought at Harbor Freight Tools.

To funny

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allll Righttty Then.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think Rich Hill is a private claim! Frank five star.png

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is truly a great story.
I'm thinking about gettin' one myself now.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this settles it, I will sell my X-terra 705 and go to Harbor Freight, buy this machine, take it out of the box, and throw the MD in the trash. I have a very sharp hunting knife that I will use to cut out the picture of the MD. My wife and family will be sooooo proud of me when I tell them about this sure-fire plan to get rich. I wonder if Harbor Freight would just sell me the box so my yield vs my investment would be even greater:goldbar:. The pieces of the puzzle are coming together for me now folks!:tchest:

P.S. my wife read what I posted and said that since my X-terra is a "little better" MD than the Harbor Freight one, I should just take a picture of it and make it really big so it will have a giant deep seeking coil on it,to go really deep and find the huge nuggets. Are we smart or what?

Last edited:

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep