TSCOM

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. I have told this story on here before. I was detecting a city lot where an old house was torn down. This was in 1977.
The house had originally been a road house on an old wagon trail from the 1860's to after the turn of the century. In 1977 it had weathered to disrepair and was dozed down and hauled off.
About dusk one evening, I was searching on the back of the lot. At the trunk of an old mesquite tree, I got a strong signal that I recognized as large iron or tin, the kind that I normally passed but I decided to dig it. I probed down with a large screwdriver about 12" deep I hit metal. I went to my car and got my folding army shovel. I uncovered the top of a five gallon grease can. the type with bend-down tabs to hold the lid on, I scraped the dirt from around the top about two or three inches down and bent the tabs up with a screw driver. Inside the can was a wide mouth pickle jar wrapped in rags, I was very excited, I just knew that I had finally found someone's buried treasure! I lifted the jar from the can, the last light of day was just disappearing, facing the last light from the setting sun, I held the jar up in the light and in a liquid I could see the remains of a baby.
I slowly set the jar back down in the can, set the lid back on the can and covered it back up with dirt. About two blocks away lived a couple that were good friends of mine. I was pretty shaken up, I went to their house and told them what I had found. Marie called the police for me. After I explained the situation to the police, they decided it would be best for me to meet them there at daylight the next morning.
The next morning after exhuming the entire can, they said that they would inform me of the results. After about two weeks, I still had not heard from them, so I called. I was told the medical examiner said the body was in formaldehyde and been there for least fifty years. It was that of a still birth or a late term miscarriage and had been there far too long to pursue investigation.
I definitely don't wish to ever find anything like this again.
Good Luck & HH

That's creepy. I would have likely dropped it when I realized what it was. I wonder why it was put in formaldehyde.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid they bulldozed a local cemetery to put in a housing development. This was around 1957 or 58. Many kids came to class with human bones for show and tell. I went there and looked for artifacts but left the bones alone. Didn't find any artifacts and the bones were pretty old and rotten. It's all peoples yards now and I'd bet that if the home owners there dig holes to put in shrubs or flower beds they'd still find bones.

Yukonbies

Aug 28, 2014
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fallen soldier.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 106

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Closest I've come is a cremation tag on the beach...

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread