D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have run across the remains of live humans in the woods but always leave it alone

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well legal protocol requires you contact authorities immediately and I would discourage anyone from stating they did anything other than that in a public forum

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have not lost mine

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found or left?

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. I hope I never do either.

OP
OP
TSCOM

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well legal protocol requires you contact authorities immediately and I would discourage anyone from stating they did anything other than that in a public forum

Yes I agree. I don't want to hear about anyone's human bone collections!

I'm thinking more along the lines of small bones or parts of a bone. Not something recognizable as human.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 30 miles from here there is a nice beach I want to detect. However a few years ago someone drown in the ocean and they never found the body. I don't want to find anything like that. Truthfully the body is probably nowhere near there anymore.... but the thought remains.

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sadly my wife and i did find human bones. We were hunting arrowheads just east of lost hills ca. we came across a fox hole and the dirt out in front of it had very small rib bones in it. we moved the dirt around a little and found a scull and lower jaw . so we stopped and called the sheriff's office. they met us in town and followed us back to the spot. they put up crime scene tape and gathered up everything.it was right near interstate 5 so we were worried about foul play,, it was a very small child or baby. i called the sheriff's office 3 -4 times they finally told me they thought the bones were very very old.... jonsey

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is no flesh on the bones, the cops are not interested.

I accidentally found two burials, one ancient, and one historic.

We were digging a small rock shelter on my buddies farm, when I found a small bundle burial, roughly dated 4 - 6k yrs old. It was hard to tell what I found until a human tooth appeared. We photographed it, then reburied it.

The other time I was running a loader in a gravel pit, when I noticed a disturbance in the gravel layers near the surface, as I backed the loader away from the high-wall, a skull rolled down from the unmarked grave.

The boss called the cops, they said no flesh, no worries. We found out later there was a trader that came up missing there in the 1800's, blood on his wagon seat, but no trader.There were bits of shoe sole, and square nails. We figured this could have been him.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but that's absolutely untrue maybe that guy said that but its not the truth no flesh does not mean no worries.
Missing persons cases are open for years all the flesh can be gone in one year no problem... It depends on conditions in the area and that's not up for the public to decide the law simply states its your obligation to call authorities leaving no decision up to the finder on whether or not there's flesh or anything else

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. I have told this story on here before. I was detecting a city lot where an old house was torn down. This was in 1977.
The house had originally been a road house on an old wagon trail from the 1860's to after the turn of the century. In 1977 it had weathered to disrepair and was dozed down and hauled off.
About dusk one evening, I was searching on the back of the lot. At the trunk of an old mesquite tree, I got a strong signal that I recognized as large iron or tin, the kind that I normally passed but I decided to dig it. I probed down with a large screwdriver about 12" deep I hit metal. I went to my car and got my folding army shovel. I uncovered the top of a five gallon grease can. the type with bend-down tabs to hold the lid on, I scraped the dirt from around the top about two or three inches down and bent the tabs up with a screw driver. Inside the can was a wide mouth pickle jar wrapped in rags, I was very excited, I just knew that I had finally found someone's buried treasure! I lifted the jar from the can, the last light of day was just disappearing, facing the last light from the setting sun, I held the jar up in the light and in a liquid I could see the remains of a baby.
I slowly set the jar back down in the can, set the lid back on the can and covered it back up with dirt. About two blocks away lived a couple that were good friends of mine. I was pretty shaken up, I went to their house and told them what I had found. Marie called the police for me. After I explained the situation to the police, they decided it would be best for me to meet them there at daylight the next morning.
The next morning after exhuming the entire can, they said that they would inform me of the results. After about two weeks, I still had not heard from them, so I called. I was told the medical examiner said the body was in formaldehyde and been there for least fifty years. It was that of a still birth or a late term miscarriage and had been there far too long to pursue investigation.
I definitely don't wish to ever find anything like this again.
Good Luck & HH

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never while detecting but during another past time of mine (fishing) I found an older illegal alien who had passed on leaning against a fence line I was walking to get to the pond.Called my friends Dad who was the resident Sheriff and he handled it from then on.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've come across six over the years,all washing out of the banks of the tennessee river below wilson dam.all were obvious native american burials that TVA cares nothing about unless YOU touch the bones or artifacts.i'd just say a little prayer and keep on walking.also seen three ancient dog burials in the same area,one placed in a curled up sleeping position and surrounded by a circle of round stones.I could tell that indian loved and missed that dog .when i returned the next day with a camera the river had washed it away .

Last edited:

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got a cite for that?

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep came across 2 bodies while riding atv's last year.

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we used to find teeth and obvious skull parts when surface hunting arrowheads near our land in Ohio. The area had once had a pioneer cemetery near there and from the condition of the teeth I think they were old French or Indian burials. The teeth were worn flat.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a couple of cremation tags but that's as close as I've come knowingly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions