made a new shovel

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
Tried to make a new shovel , its a little heavier then I wanted it to be but it is strong . Now I just have to paint it.

ForumRunner_20141104_093212.png

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great don't use it in parks. Get a small garden trowel and learn how to pinpoint. There is no need for the shovel. That is what shut all the county parks down for metal detecting in a nearby county. Not only that, we are close to losing the county parks in my county from shovels. The park ranger told me they are getting awful tired of fixing craters and if it keeps up the end is near.

Do really need to dig that big of a hole for penny? In reality you only need to cut a plug no more than 4" across- if you can pinpoint. Save the shovel for your wife's flower garden.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks good!!!

OP
OP
T

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
For one don't jump to conclusions that I will use it in parks ., for one I don't hunt parks I hunt in woods and fields .

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 31" Sampson actually cuts cleaner plugs than my handheld Lesche.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with CladGrabbber. I can cut a smooth plug that replaces seamlessly with my Sampson (Looks like TMShaft's but is smooth sided).

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Nice craftsmanship. I also make my own diggers. Looks very similar to my tool in the way it was made. After snapping many hand tools, I made mine strong as hell. Steel blade with a hollow aluminum shaft and a rubber grip.

ForumRunner_20141105_110630.png

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I picked up my 2 from A M Leonards. A small hand blade for small holes and an all steal shovel for cache recovery. They have lasted over 14 years, and the price was right. Frank five star.png
Tool Pouch-700.jpg
Tool shovel-700.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME craftsmanship!! As a welder/fabricator myself..thumbs up on a great piece of work! I would be proud to have one of them for field work..it is that time of year and my hand held digger has trouble with the deeper targets in the fields..ddf

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks great man, no more annoying roots to knock the dirt back into the hole!

And RainyDay101, I bet you a silver half I can cut a cleaner plug with my 31 T-handle serrated Lesche than you can with your ... anything. ;)

Guys I have no doubt you can cut a cleaner plug with your shovels. Also before I took that bet, I would have to buy a silver half off of ebay! The thing is, if a park employee or ranger sees you with a shovel up by me you will get booted out of the park. At the federal parks they will for sure give you the boot. If you have a small hand digger they won't even bother you. It is people with shovels in public parks that have shut down several city parks and complete counties up here. Granted most of them were probably ignorant newbies.

Use them in fields and woods, that is great. Public parks not so great. In a public park they draw attention to you from ignorant bystanders who think because you have a shovel you are digging the place up, even though you cut nice clean plugs. In public a small Lesche etc. draws a lot less attention to you and what your are doing.

I live in a very historic town. No metal detecting. When I asked why they said because people have used shovels and dug the place up. It's shame because my town is of real historical significance. In our state digging artifacts is illegal on public land anyway. Not that it always matters. Diggers was in town 2 weeks ago to film an episode. We can't detect, but they got all the permits they needed and had the red carpet rolled out for them. I didn't attend any of the festivities.

I am not against shovels, I just think they have a time and a place.

And by the way, I don't hunt were I can use a shovel, but it is a nice looking shovel. Looks good enough, you would think it was manufactured.

Last edited:

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
I only use my shovel in the woods. In a park, or I'm a yard, I use my Leache. And, I don't know of any Federal parks that would let you swing anyway. You should have seen the looks I get when I drive my back hoe I the school yard!!! Just kidding of course. Haha

Last edited:

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a wicked shovel.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use my shovel in the woods. In a park, or I'm a yard, I use my Leache. And, I don't know of any Federal parks that would let you swing anyway. You should have seen the looks I get when I drive my back hoe I the school yard!!! Just kidding of course. Haha

I have a copy of the Fed park rules and metal detecting is considered a low impact activity and is allowed. I carry a copy of the rules in my car in case I am asked. The Fed park employees have never bothered me. Once the head of the parks up here told me friend to enjoy and just make sure they dig clean holes and leave no trace. He also said that if he saw them with a shovel he would personally toss them out.

I got a copy of the rules from a user by the name of Tom_in_Ca. I may not have his user ID exact but he is a regular poster. I can't find where I saved it or I would give you a copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread