Golf Coarse

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, anyone ever have permission to hunt a golf coarse? I know someone who works at a 100+year old coarse and is thinking about trying to get permission. Will be asking ONLY to hit the rough and tree lines, completely off the fair and green. Also, this is for when the golfers are done for the season due to winter. Or is this just a pipe dream?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One would think there would be a lot of pull tabs and junk given how many beverages are consumed during the sport. Still with 100 years of history there must be silver out there somewhere. Especially in the rough with players hacking away at errant balls. Lots of space and ground to cover, but I think it'd be fun!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most golf courses down here have a clubhouse area or some sort of little watering hole near the 18th hole some even call it the 19th hole I'd be interested in that area

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive actually been detecting a 100+ golf course here in my area. In Apr of 2014, they converted it into a city park. Ive found a couple silver dimes and my buddy found a silver spoon, and Tons of Clad. But sometimes the clad is super deep and there are TONS of Pulltabs and can slaw. I have pulled a Gold ring from another golf course, but that was fluke.

I would totally give it a shot..Only problem with Golf Courses are the fact they reshape the course every once in while. But still worth checking out

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I was thinking that's why I mentioned possibly finding areas that haven't been moved around or covered over with new soil some sort of old paths or parking areas seems like they would be better to me.. Somewhere the ground is flat low and looks undisturbed

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Ive watched a few hackers taking divots on the course like they were diggin' taters, so I can't see them minding you doing a little detecting. Just make sure you replace your divots.

I would concentrate on areas just off the cart path near the tee boxes. Especially near the tee boxes on the 1st and 10th holes. Another good place would be where people congregate after playing the last hole (paying off bets), or even the parking lot areas (assuming they are not paved).

Good luck!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I was thinking that's why I mentioned possibly finding areas that haven't been moved around or covered over with new soil some sort of old paths or parking areas seems like they would be better to me.. Somewhere the ground is flat low and looks undisturbed

The areas I had been doing good at are the areas near the fencing..Ive yet to tackle the driving range yet..Golf Courses are so freakin huge..lol Its hard to get to it all

OP
OP
Jdett411

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice guys THANKS. In between the fairways are wide lines of trees, I was eyeing those thinking people would stand there to get out of the sun during play. Comparing recent maps to the oldest I can find 1938, everything seems to look the same. Fairways, tree lines, sand traps.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of walking up on the beach here so much area that you need to focus on highest probability and read the terrain... The moment I dig can slaw at 8 inches I'm moving

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try researching further back in history of the area before the golf course

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've signed a quick waiver before.
Doesn't take much to be legally binding as long as it has a signature and date stating you hold the owner harmless

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are definitely not gonna let you out there while people are playing, or atleast I wouldn't think they would. if you've never been hit with a golf ball, let me tell you it isn't something you'd want to happen.

Your going to have to try and go during the off times or maybe when the weather isn't so good. Another thing...I do a lot of golfing, and you aren't going to see too many people hanging out inbetween the fairways under the trees, unless of course it is a really busy place and there is a lot of slow play.

People reach into their pockets around the greens, to get coins to mark their balls. They reach into their pockets at the tee boxes to get tees out. They typically takes rings and watches off and stow them in their golf bag at the first tee or tenth tee, depending where they are starting. They take jewellery back out of the bag after the round.........either while settling up with opponents, or in the parking lot. Check around concession stand, if they have one between the nines.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing...I do a lot of golfing, and you aren't going to see too many people hanging out inbetween the fairways under the trees, unless of course it is a really busy place and there is a lot of slow play.

Have to agree with that assessment, at least from when I used to play golf.

Most courses I have ever played, the areas just beyond the rough, in the trees, tend to be dumping grounds for the maintenance crews. They pile up grass clippings, tree limbs, and all sorts of stuff in there. Also, some of those areas tend to be lower-lying and used for drainage. Hit many a golf ball into swampy type areas in the tree line while the fairway was nice and dry LOL.

I'd hunt around tee boxes (just around them, not on them, as to not tear up the tee boxes) and any rough areas near the greens, where players would likely park carts and leave golf bags while putting. As HenryWaltonJonesJr pointed out, I too would think you'd find LOTS of junk like pull tabs and such, so be prepared to turn up the discrimination or pack a lot of patience :tongue3:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this course open to the public or is it private membership only?
That could make a difference on whether you'll be allowed to detect or where you would want to detect.
It's still worth a try.

Generally at private courses, the head greens keeper/grounds manager would be a good start. He's the one that that takes all the flack
from the members if the grounds are not in tip-top shape. Even if he says it's OK with him, he most likely will still have to ask the
club committee or manager then, as Mackaydon mentioned, this is where liability issues may come into play.

Good luck!

TSCOM

Oct 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typically people hit balls into the woods around the same vicinity so figure out where that may be based on the hole layout.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might as well pick up the balls too that you find in the rough/woods, I bet you make more with those than any coins you find!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot see many people getting permission. A golf course has a head groundskeeper and they are anal about the course. They make their living keeping the course as pristine as possible. Some get paid as much as lawyers. I don't see them letting you wave your detector let alone dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread