Oak Island CTX3030 ?! Is it the mac daddy of MDs?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
WELL SAID!!!

The last time I checked metal detecting is a hobby or recreational activity. I know it is for me. If someone is fishing in a canoe or a 30ft offshore boat what should it matter to someone else? Hunting, an off the rack rifle or custom made? If it's what you want and it works for you that's what matters.

Too many people out their take cheap shots at equipment because it costs too much or too little to suit THEM. If it's your dime, get what makes you happy, and enjoy it.
A hobby for most a living for some … So it is not only a hobby..

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure there is a "be all do all, macdaddy" unit as detector technology is always evolving.
With that said, I don't have a hot rod, Harley, or brand new TV but I do have a CTX that I treated myself to!
It's perfectly balanced and weighs the same as my Excal on a straight CF shaft!
Treat yourself to whatever you'd like. Life is too short (even at a hundred years) not to!

Last edited:

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And I will go an additional step further by saying that I really dont care about finding anything. Its just a pleasure being out and smelling the good earth and feeling the turf under my feet, and the sunshine on my face, and the wind in my hair. A silver coin in the hand is only a bonus! I cant count how many successful hunting or fishing outings I have had where not a fish in the boat, nor a rabbit to be had, yet the day was great!

Hey! a bad day metal detecting is better than a good day at work, the office or whatever. I am not against golf either, since I cannot but suspect it keeps the unworthy from discovering metal detecting. There are two types of metal detectors - those who detect for fun and those who detect for profit. I am in for the fun and the learning. So whatever you buy get out and enjoy it, it is the best time you will have, even if you don't find anything, like it was said above, if you do make a find it's a bonus. - Cheers

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hobby for most a living for some … So it is not only a hobby..

Very true. For the small number of folks who detect for a living, I am guessing, the COST of their equipment is not the primary concern. Using equipment that gets the job done would be the first order of the day.

I still think that the overwhelming majority of detectorist's, don't do it as their primary source of income.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very true. For the small number of folks who detect for a living, I am guessing, the COST of their equipment is not the primary concern. Using equipment that gets the job done would be the first order of the day.

I still think that the overwhelming majority of detectorist's, don't do it as their primary source of income.
That is the truth a small few you see on the treasure forums do it for a living…… But the ones that do it for a living those are the ones that that put out the big dollar for equipment … They need the best to make a living ..

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest difference that I found with the CTX is that it will see multiple targets at once and the ID is spot on. Separation is good, but not as good as perhaps the Deus.

Other than that, I feel that, I feel that it is somewhat of a status symbol swinging this expensive, name brand machine. These companies could also be paying money to have their products shown on television.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not hunting salt water wet sand or oceans you may want to consider the AT Pro to start. Easier learning curve and it is very good on land. I used one for 3 years before going to the CTX. I now keep it as a backup.

The only reason I went to the CTX was I wanted to have a machine I could use in the ocean in addition to the land. Yes, the ATP works in the ocean but it will only go perhaps 5" deep. This past week I was waist deep in salt water and got a ring hit with the indicator at 24". I wasn't able to retrieve it after about 20 minutes. I did clean it with a cue tip, cleaned the o ring and put a little silicon grease on the rim of the battery pack before submerging. No issues what so ever. In fact when I took off the battery pack for recharging I heard a little suction relieve noise.

The CTX is a dream to use. Great balance (go all day), adjustable, retractable shaft if you want to change the balance. Completely programmable search settings. Target id is far superior to the ATP. It is probably not a machine for a first time user as you may get frustrated with it. I bought mine from someone who gave up on it. Save about 800 from a new unit with only 5 months gone from a 3 year warranty.

I could not have handled the CTX right off the bat with my first machine. But now the only reason for me to use the ATP is I have a 15" coil. I will use it to cover areas to see that I have not missed anything. Eventually I will get the 17" coil once my budget recovers.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The biggest difference that I found with the CTX is that it will see multiple targets at once and the ID is spot on. Separation is good, but not as good as perhaps the Deus.

Other than that, I feel that, I feel that it is somewhat of a status symbol swinging this expensive, name brand machine. These companies could also be paying money to have their products shown on television.
That's right it is just a status symbol for most … Bragging rights look at me ….sort of thing…….And you know that when you see a brand of detector being used on any TV show … that show is getting or the one swinging it is getting money for that detector to be there on the show..

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right it is just a status symbol for most … Bragging rights look at me ….sort of thing…….And you know that when you see a brand of detector being used on any TV show … that show is getting or the one swinging it is getting money for that detector to be there on the show..

I don't see it as bragging rights using the best equipment you can afford. Maybe jealousy issues for some but why would you want to waste time by not using the best you can afford. You are right about TV shows it would be silly to believe otherwise.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an inexpensive Tesoro Cibola. Was out with it yesterday picking out Civil war bullets out of really bad mineralized and absolutely SURROUNDED by nails. Nails by the dozens and less than 2" away from the bullets. I skipped the nails and dug the bullets. It's up to you, but I'd try to find a local dealer where you can try out something before you buy it. I recently got three much more expensive machines by two other manufacturers and wound up reselling them pretty quickly. Just didn't like them, they did not go much deeper and were much harder to use.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an inexpensive Tesoro Cibola. Was out with it yesterday picking out Civil war bullets out of really bad mineralized and absolutely SURROUNDED by nails. Nails by the dozens and less than 2" away from the bullets. I skipped the nails and dug the bullets. It's up to you, but I'd try to find a local dealer where you can try out something before you buy it. I recently got three much more expensive machines by two other manufacturers and wound up reselling them pretty quickly. Just didn't like them, they did not go much deeper and were much harder to use.

You make a great point they will not be any better if you don't learn how to use them. When I bought my first explorer I thought I made a big mistake but pushed myself to use it. People that don't learn them are the ones saying they are no better than this brand or that brand.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on dirtscratcher. And it depends on what you're hunting. And where. I really could have used a tiny coil yesterday. I like the really light weight machines. Arthritis monster got me. I'm positive some of the pricier machines will go deeper, but with a couple I saw being used this weekend, my time out with one would be minutes, not hours as with a light weight machine. Where I was digging, the ground was rather hard and rocky and the targets were not deep. That makes a difference too. When I'm at the beach it gets so annoying digging a small pieces of aluminum 15 inches down! One thing I've never especially liked is the hi-low tone types when you've got 6 targets under a coil at one time. Which happens a lot for me. This one house in particular. 5 coins in one hole, move 12" and 3 more (modern unfortunately).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You see i think about getting a new big buck detector …. And then i think i have seen and tried out most of them … And i have the best detector made so why buy another one that will not do any better than the one i use now for coins & jewelry … that detector is the ….Minelab Sovereign… The best coin & jewelry detector …Minelab has ever made...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see it as bragging rights using the best equipment you can afford. Maybe jealousy issues for some but why would you want to waste time by not using the best you can afford. You are right about TV shows it would be silly to believe otherwise.
Some people want the most expensive because they think its the best...the most expensive doesn't always mean its the best.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people want the most expensive because they think its the best...the most expensive doesn't always mean its the best.

I'm guessing you haven't put a lot of time in on a as you put it expensive detector. I haven't with a 3030 but hunted a lot with explorers etrac some top of the line whites and seen them go deeper and Id better than mid priced detectors to not believe they definitely have an edge. If you or anyone else are happy with what you have and don't try anything else then that will be the best you'll know for sure. When I detect I want to have the best detector I can afford because this is my biggest use of my free time why waste it. I bought a detector once that was supposed to be the best bang for the buck and find everything those expensive detectors would. Well that was a total waste of 450 dollars and a year and a half that I will never get back.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Best is subjective! Best usually means how well the guy or gal holding it knows their particular machine and ground.

I've recently acquired a CTX 3030 and it's feature rich set makes it one of the best detectors I've used to date. The Target ID is amazing and the dialing it in to your personal taste is fantastic!

The balance of the CTX is perfect and at 5.20 lbs. it's only 1 ounce heavier than my Excal that's mounted on a carbon fiber shaft! It has a trigger pinpoint much like what OBN 's pinpoint mod achieves and comes with a backlit screen. All awesome features to help make your detecting experience a great one!

Is it the best? Well, it will find targets that are deep. Just like the other brands.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing you haven't put a lot of time in on a as you put it expensive detector. I haven't with a 3030 but hunted a lot with explorers etrac some top of the line whites and seen them go deeper and Id better than mid priced detectors to not believe they definitely have an edge. If you or anyone else are happy with what you have and don't try anything else then that will be the best you'll know for sure. When I detect I want to have the best detector I can afford because this is my biggest use of my free time why waste it. I bought a detector once that was supposed to be the best bang for the buck and find everything those expensive detectors would. Well that was a total waste of 450 dollars and a year and a half that I will never get back.
I was talking about everything in general, not just detectors...if you think the most expensive always means the best, that's fine, but its not always true.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking about everything in general, not just detectors...if you think the most expensive always means the best, that's fine, but its not always true.

You are correct my favorite detector is my explorer xs I paid 400 dollars for but at one time it was one of the more expensive. Sometimes you do get what you paid for. It just seems easy to say otherwise without actually trying one.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=2]CTX3030 ?! Is it the mac daddy of MD's?[/h]

Hmmmmm. Top Pimp - loud, pushy, more crook than hard worker, flashy without substance.

No, I think it's better than that. But, as mentioned plenty before, the best detector for a specific use will be the one specifically designed for that use. You get up around $2,500 it sure as h3ll better be a top-end detector. And Minelab is a trusted name so I'd say it was a great detector.

Be glad to review one if someone would loan me their's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread