Oak Island CTX3030 ?! Is it the mac daddy of MDs?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They plugged the CTX3030 MD tonight on Oak Island. Is that detector one of the best out there? Will is see a significant difference using it as opposed to a $300-$500 detector? What are benefits specifically of such an expensive MD. I ask this because I'm still deciding on what to buy.
Not any deeper just more option's to choose on the detector … If you are coin & Jewelry hunting why would you want to pay over $2000.00 to find a dime ?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's more important to know the detector you're using than spend big bucks trying to learn one with all the bells and whistles. It takes a long time to learn how to use a detector with all the bells and whistles effectively. I bought a whites V3i a year ago and still learning how to use it. I do ok with it but I also have an AT Pro that I do exceptionally well with. I can find one heck of alot more with my ATP than I can with my V3i because I am still learning the V3i.

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not any deeper just more option's to choose on the detector … If you are coin & Jewelry hunting why would you want to pay over $2000.00 to find a dime ?

Very good point

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck, if all you find is dimes when you detect, you're better off looking for returnable cans/bottles along the road. Won't cost you anything, 10 cents each where I live. You can start a new forum called canhunters corner. :)

Everyone can tell about how they find as many cans and bottles wearing their Kmart glasses as the guy across the road with his fancy/expensive glasses from the optometrist.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the value of what you find is the only way you find satisfaction this might not be the hobby for you. That is the last factor I look at. If you have the money and find joy in being outdoors breathing fresh air getting exercise, learning a little history then it might be worth it.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the value of what you find is the only way you find satisfaction this might not be the hobby for you. That is the last factor I look at. If you have the money and find joy in being outdoors breathing fresh air getting exercise, learning a little history then it might be worth it.

And I will go an additional step further by saying that I really dont care about finding anything. Its just a pleasure being out and smelling the good earth and feeling the turf under my feet, and the sunshine on my face, and the wind in my hair. A silver coin in the hand is only a bonus! I cant count how many successful hunting or fishing outings I have had where not a fish in the boat, nor a rabbit to be had, yet the day was great!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at it is if you have to ask you probably should start with a lower priced unit with a shorter learning curve. You might not even like if you are like 99 percent of all people who bought one and have it collecting dust in the closet.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, if all you find is dimes when you detect, you're better off looking for returnable cans/bottles along the road. Won't cost you anything, 10 cents each where I live. You can start a new forum called canhunters corner. :)

Everyone can tell about how they find as many cans and bottles wearing their Kmart glasses as the guy across the road with his fancy/expensive glasses from the optometrist.
You know what i mean if you are a coin or jewelry hunter you will find as much with a less expensive detector… for a detector that cost $300.00 to a $1000.00 will go just as deep as your $2000.00 + detector .. And find the same thing .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
.. Tell the prospectors and the very few that make a living at this … And then see the looks they will give you..

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They plugged the CTX3030 MD tonight on Oak Island. Is that detector one of the best out there? Will is see a significant difference using it as opposed to a $300-$500 detector? What are benefits specifically of such an expensive MD. I ask this because I'm still deciding on what to buy.

davinci, to answer your question, this is why I decided to get a CTX after seriously researching it.

It is a very versatile machine. Can detect in water (up to 10ft) and land.

The Smartfind and Target trace technologies allow you to see multiple targets on the screen, both good and bad. Even if you discriminate out certain items, they will not give a tone if you choose, but, can still be seen.

For the sound is best crowd, you can assign a tone/pitch of your choosing to specific ferrous/conductive parameters. If you seek specific areas of conductive metals you can customize the audio ID to suit you.

Wireless headphones. No need to explain that one, GREAT FEATURE!!

Rechargeable lithium ion battery, best (most expensive) rechargeable batteries currently available.

GPS tracking. ( I used it to track and mark my finds while looking for an old homestead with no trace above ground. I recorded my finds on the gps and the pattern of found objects made a clear outline of the location of the buildings) It was the item I thought I may never use, but, it was very handy! You can download your hunt onto your computer and interface it with google earth, very cool!

The coils have microchips in them to digitally communicate with the control box (similar to the Deus). This is how I believe it is much different than most machines as with the deus. It does unfortunately make the coils more expensive because they communicate with only with the CTX.

Retractable coil rod with coil wire inside. Handy for transport, coil wire doesn't snag on things.

People seem to mention depth a lot lately. In my opinion depth of detection has pretty much hit a wall as far as advances. Most modern machines get reasonable depths. Coils seem to be the area of advance in terms of depth. Air tests are pretty much worthless IMO. I believe the advances are being made in terms of ID both visual and audio. Also in terms of ground balancing ability and emi resistance. Eliminate bad ground/emi and get the best feedback from the coil. The CTX is the smoothest machine I have operated or seen in operation without question.

There are a bunch more great features, I could go on and on. I suggest you go to a dealer and try one out, or at very least read the manual online, and see what it can do. Most people who post negative comments about it, do so out of ignorance, in that they know nothing about it except it's cost.

The bottom line, it is NOT for everyone. If you don't want the versatility or any of the features it provides, it may not be for you. Only the purchaser knows what they are willing to spend. You need to consider it for the totality of what it does.

I have had mine a bit over a year. In that year I have found more quality finds than I had thought possible in my limited time available. No regrets in my purchase! It's fun to use too!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After owning one I will say if you want one machine to do about everything, except gold prospecting, it is without a doubt the "Mac Daddy" machine to have. It is a bit heavy, but very well balanced and it will give the best target ID at amazing depths, just slightly better than the Etrac but not by much at all. I found I prefer a dedicated water machine, like the Excal or CZ, and a land machine or 2 for specific purposes like the Etrac, Xterra, Gold Bug, Sovereign GT, etc. Also having only one machine means if there is a problem with it you are dead in the water.

Last edited:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Ive been using minelabs for years.I still own the ctx 3030.They are very acurate at Target Id(VDI) and the depth gauge is very acurate.In my opinion this is why people using the minelabs do so well.Anyone can pick up a ctx and dig silver.Very easy to use and acurate.Are they best out??Thats opinion.I like my ctx but its super heavy,leaked the 1st time in the water.$2500 for a leaker.The worst customer service I have ever gotten out of all the brands I own.I hunt alot of heavy heavy rusted Iron sites.The FBS fails to deal with as well as a few of my other detectors.So due to these issues I use my other units alot more often.(Deus,Fors core,cf77)These units love working in Iron. If you wanna dig just silver,I would get the minelabs due to acuracy.But if you are looking for relics and coins and hunting more Fields than parks,I would look around some.Alot cheaper units that due much better in those circumstances.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a "Detector"

When it comes to “Oak Island” "Its" time to put your "Toys" away and “Play with the Big Boys”

Mars 2020 rover's RIMFAX radar will 'see' deep underground

RIMFAX a Canadian Invention is - "something akin to X-ray vision so it can "see" right through rocks and dirt, and spot features buried underground."

"RIMFAX is a ground-penetrating radar device that will be able to peer dozens of metres into the ground, looking for buried sand dunes, lava flows, stream channels and salt layers"

Its parked here in “Canada” and maybe with the right “Offer” of TV time, the owners will let me take it for a spin around the Island to locate the “Treasure Vault”

This "Vault" is located at the North/West end of the Island, 20 feet down, encased in cement and wood.

Oak Island - RimFax.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The leaking and screen issues are what made me decide to go to dedicated machines. The battery seal is just too dainty and has to meticulously cleaned often. After the 3 year warranty runs out it could be a very high $$$ to repair a machine intruded by saltwater.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. Tell the prospectors and the very few that make a living at this … And then see the looks they will give you..
Yeah Keppy, people do this hobby for different reasons. Some people think the reason they do it is the RIGHT way and for the right reasons. There is no right and wrong...do what makes you happy, not what makes them happy.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For someone who this hobby might not be for...Keppy sure has stuck with it for a long time...imagine if this hobby was for him. :tongue3:

Last edited:

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WELL SAID!!!

The last time I checked metal detecting is a hobby or recreational activity. I know it is for me. If someone is fishing in a canoe or a 30ft offshore boat what should it matter to someone else? Hunting, an off the rack rifle or custom made? If it's what you want and it works for you that's what matters.

Too many people out their take cheap shots at equipment because it costs too much or too little to suit THEM. If it's your dime, get what makes you happy, and enjoy it.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

In My opinion there are now a handful of detectors that are in this category between 1400 - 2000 ish. I would just ask before you purchase any machine make sure you have accessories in that budget.

Some examples

1. Beach Scoop - 100 - 200
2. Nice shovel - 30 - 100 ish
2. Pin Pointer - 130 ish IMO Garret and Minelab maybe other But I have not used so cannot comment.
4. Digger - 50 ish (Actually I am not sure on this price as the one I have currently is 12 year old at least)
5. Head Set - 30 - 175 Also do you need a water proof set?
6. Water stuff if you intend to hunt there
7. Probably more but I can not come up with it at the moment.

My real point is accessories make hunting comfortable and save a lot of work and frustration. I see many people make this mistake and spend all their budget on a detector and spend almost nothing on accessories. This leads them to hunting a lot less or evening just not doing it at all once the newness of a machine wears off.

Good luck and good Hunting - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread