Finding Gold Coins HELP!

C

Copper

I have made up my mind that there are gold coins out there to be found. The US $1 gold piece is very small and easy to drop. I'm sure these were lost and I'm going to find one (some place other than ebay).

Speaking of ebay, I just purchased a type III 1857 $1 gold piece I plan to use for detecting practice and a ring setting. I am going to plant that coin every which way until I know what to expect in the field.

Question: Does anybody out there have any suggestions on how I may increase my chances of finding this prize which has escaped me now for some 35 years? Any techniques or suggestions on the types of places to hunt? HELP!

Upvote 0

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Gold is 19 times heavier than water and twice as heavy as lead, so a coin sized amount of gold is going to sink deep especially in areas where the ground freezes and thaws. Has anyone tried burying a gold coin as a test because I have noticed that the depth capabilites are far worse than a same size silver coin

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Copper! Lets get a few hair dryers & a generator & go help out those poor guys in the story. Fo a find like that you could set up a circus tent & heat the ground. Spotz

OP
OP
C

Copper

nick1878 said:
Gold is 19 times heavier than water and twice as heavy as lead, so a coin sized amount of gold is going to sink deep especially in areas where the ground freezes and thaws.? ?Has anyone tried burying a gold coin as a test because I have noticed that the depth capabilities are far worse than a same size silver coin

I like your idea. I may just do a little test sometime to see what happens. One can buy damaged gold pieces fairly cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread