Planning to get started with MD, but could use some expert advice first!

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from Mason City, Iowa! I'm seeking some input, insight, advice, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, or whatever anyone is willing to share based on their experiences in metal detecting and treasure hunting. What I want to do isn't the same as most treasure hunters set out to accomplish, but I guess 'treasure' is relative. I'll give all the details I feel are needed for the inquisitive reader to understand what I'm up against. As far as I can tell, 'relic hunting' most closely describes what I'm up to, even if the relics would only be of historical value to myself given the circumstances.

I have wanted to get started in metal detecting from the first day I learned that metal detectors existed and that average, regular people could get their hands on such a machine. I may have been five years old at the time. Naturally, where I wanted to be doing this is the old acreage we live on. I didn't know it at the time, but the place was parceled out by Uncle Sam in January, 1856 and what we've always called 'the old house' was built in 1884 and was the farmhouse on what had been a complete, operating farm up until the late 1920's or so. I suspect but have never been able to prove that there was originally a sod or log cabin hereAfter all but ten acres were sold off, only the house stood. From the Depression until after WWII, the place had been a rental property with a lot of folks coming and going. The junk deposited out here was epic. I was endlessly fascinated (still am) with the parts of vehicles, agricultural implements, appliances, machines, and other assorted hardware that turned up half buried in the ground, or even just barely exposed. I dug up anything I found just so I could try to guess just what it was. Most of it is still around here, too! Who knows what lurks below the surface here? When I asked Dad about getting a metal detector, his reply was that one would probably 'burn out' from all the metal in the ground around here, which is mostly iron and steel. Several years later, I seem to recall his mentioning that metal detectors are all 'set up' for non ferrous metals, so we'd probably never find much of anything since all the junk, er, I mean treasure, is iron and steel relics.

Thirty years later, I certainly know better than that now.

So, lots of iron and steel artifacts in the ground. Unfortunately, with no rural trash delivery service available until quite recently, all trash was disposed of on-site. Tin cans weren't recycled, they were burnt with the trash and left to rust. This occurred in a number of different locations on the property through the years. I suspect that very near to most of the old iron and steel relics, the soil will have very high concentrations of iron oxide as a result. Can anyone tell me if this will pose a problem for one trying to use a metal detector?

This is glacier territory, and they left us ROCKS! Large and small, plain and stunningly beautiful. The variety is absolutely AMAZING. I'm no geologist, and I have no idea what these rocks are or what they contain...or if they'll trip a metal detector! The property features two soil types, sandy on one half, wet and heavy on the other. I have no idea if this will pose any difficulties. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Farm fields around here have been plowed since the latter half of the 19th century. 1880's, maybe? North Iowa was generally swampy and marshy, thus settled later than much of the rest of the state, or even Minnesota a few dozen miles to the north. Much land here was untillable until it could be tiled and drained in the 1920's or so. Soil conservation wasn't much of a thought until lately, and still isn't being practiced like it should. The topsoil in the yard here gets thicker every year as it's blown off of all the surrounding fields! Clay is maybe 16-18" down much of the time. Gaining topsoil from the neighbors and having a very significant number of deciduous trees here, I suspect things get buried much quicker than in other places. Depth of detection could be a big deal. Any thoughts from experienced detectorists here?

Historically, the only other thing of possible interest that sticks in my mind is that Mason City is smack in the middle of a southwest-to-northeast neutral zone brokered by the US Government in an 1830 treaty that kept the Sioux separated from the Sauk and Fox. I believe the Winnebago migrated back and forth in said neutral zone at different times of the year, for hunting and/or trading. I couldn't tell you when that would have ended...1870, maybe? Probably whenever the Indians left the area! Honestly, I don't recall much said or seen of Indian artifacts around Mason City. I doubt there'd be much native American history to be found around here using a metal detector.

I'm a fairly avid handloader. Most of the shooting I do is more test firing my handloads for evaluation purposes than anything else. It's also so I can get my brass and lead back for analysis and reuse! One can imagine how handy a suitable metal detector would be in locating spent brass and lead! Does anyone have any suggestions specific to this use?

I am a big fan of reclaimed lumber, and absolutely hate finding buried nails, fence staples, and other metallic objects with the edge of a blade! Would a standard metal detector be useful in preventing this, or do I need something else? My Studsensor would work just fine, but I think a regular metal detector would be quicker.

I am not a big fan of flat tires or having to repair or replace tires punctured by nails or screws. I wear spike protective jungle boots outdoors in all hot and temperate weather, so stepping on those doesn't really bother me. I'm afraid I can't say the same about young nieces and nephews, though! I am wanting to 'grid' the property, and start a reconditioning project, one grid square at a time. I'm not sure how big the squares will be, maybe a square meter, maybe a bit larger. The idea is to completely clean each square of stuff I don't want there, ranging from unwanted vegetation, to litter, to junk under the surface waiting to emerge. I feel a metal detector could be very useful for this!

Beyond this place, I'm just not sure. I've seen some 'MD' being done around Mason City through the years, but not a lot, and not lately. We have some parks here, but I'm sure digging is out, so it'd just be dropped coins an jewelry on the surface. The nearest beach is a dozen miles away but probably exhaustively hunted by now. I do know where most of the old farmsteads around me were, but most have been bulldozed and plowed under 20-40 years ago. Many are now on land owned by the cement companies here, and I really don't know what their policy is on granting access permission, though I have heard they do allow some people to hunt deer on the land in the fall and winter. Mason City was a town of about 700 by 1870, with wood and some masonry structures that were mostly gone by 1900 or so. The dirt streets of the era were paved with bricks by turn of the century, and then the bricks were paved over mid-century. We don't have any Colonial or Civil War history here, and any late 1800's artifacts lost and not yet found are likely to be under the concrete of downtown. Still... I can't rule out ever wanting to look to see just what I can come up with! Coinshooting and jewelry are a distant second consideration, though.

For a guy like me, can anyone recommend a model of metal detector I should be looking at, or name any that I should avoid as unsuitable for my intended purposes? I have an inkling that a very basic, inexpensive beginners' model would actually get me pretty far... but, I also realize that it may just frustrate me more than anything else, too! At the same time, I imagine anything much over a thousand bucks would be pretty pointless since this isn't an area with a long history of high population density. That being said, I figure that some things will be a bit on the deep side with all the erosion loss that builds up on land that isn't tilled and around the acreage in particular, the amount of FeO2 from decades of rusty tin cans and other light gauge steel junk could make things very interesting as far as ground balance goes. Anyone who can enlighten me on this area is much more than welcome to do so!

ANYTHING anyone can offer from their experience in metal detecting would very much be a blessing. I've got a feeling that I'll be needing all the help I can get, and published sources will only get one so far.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to get many different suggestions based on many different opinions.

Tesoro Outlaw
Minelab X-Terra 705
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F75

Do YOUR OWN homework, and Good Luck!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like Terry Soloman said do your homework. He gave you some great suggestions as to what models of detectors to look at. They are very effective mid range detectors and much better than the entry level detectors. This forum has more experts than the government but the reality of it is 99% of the people on here are very sincere and want to help anyway they can.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever machine you decide on stick with it for at least a year and learn it inside and out and i guarantee you will be successful.

HH/seabees

OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys, and especially to Terry for the short list. I will take a good look at those.

I would consider many opinions to be a good thing in this instance. That is also why I included as much information as I did about the situation I'm looking at:

1. The detector I ultimately select is bound to be a utility machine rather than recreational, but at the same time, I may occasionally sweep an area rather extensively. Probably not all day, though.

2. Not that I'm not at all interested in finding gold, silver, or coinage... but I doubt much of that is going to turn up out here and not likely to be abundant in the places one could legitimately MD in town.

3. Much of what I want to find is ferrous relics as well as nails, screws, fence wire, and whatnot... in ground that may be unnaturally high in iron thanks to several generations of people leaving rusting tin cans all over this place. Locating nails or other metal in lumber about to be resawn as well as occasionally locating the precise location of the buried propane line and underground electric cables out here would sure be a nice capability!

4. The topsoil is rich and thick, especially around the acreage where not tilled, so some interesting things may now be much deeper than expected for the amount of time they've been there. Some of the soil being sandy and some being very wet may be of some significance, but I don't have the experience to know that yet. Nor do I know if the glacier hill and the seemingly high number of rocks in the soil ranging from pebble to boulder size are any indication of the mineralization of the ground here, though I suspect that maybe that's a good clue. I would be a bit concerned about a machine's ground balance capabilities being able to handle whatever conditions I may have here.

I'm hoping that someone reading through my detailed description of the situation I'm facing may see something that they've experienced or had to deal with at some point, or perhaps otherwise learned the hard way that something I mentioned is an obstacle to be overcome and is kind enough to let me know about it so I can think ahead a bit. I know that metal detectors all have their strengths and weaknesses, so pointers of features that I need to look for would be very useful, and warnings to stay away from certain models or types of machines that may be inappropriate for what I'm trying to do could also be very beneficial. Of course, any good experiences with certain equipment or techniques employed is very nice to learn, too!

I'm not looking for confirmation of anything or expecting any specific kinds of answers, just trying to cover all the bases by seeing what I can learn from people who've 'been there-done that' so I don't find myself reinventing the wheel. I know it's a fun hobby, but for me it's going to be more of a means to an end and less of a 'the journey is the reward' affair. Or, you could say I'm looking at this as more of a tool than a toy. Boredom isn't one of my problems in life, having enough hours in my day to do everything I want to is!

Thanks again!

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
One thing, I can say is next time you write don't write a book. People will skip most of your righting ,and look for your question or skip your question because, to much to reading. There is no perfect metal detector, and if there was we would all have one. Ground balance is important, and you get what you pay for.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your looking to dig rusty iron and don't care about coins and jewelry then any detector will work fine. Most of us hunt for exactly the opposite.

OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, guys.

Rob, I know my situation is somewhat to very unique. In trying to research this lately, I've gotten pretty much nowhere as everyone seems to be into coins, precious metals, or other valuables. Most of the metal detectors I've read about are described by people who are viewing them from that perspective. IF there are retrievable coins and jewelry to be found, great! I'm all for that. However, I'm not expecting to find many, if any. I just don't see it. Dropped change on the ground, maybe, but that wouldn't amount to much. I'm thinking that most anywhere off my own property isn't likely to be somewhere that any digging would be welcome. Private property, maybe, but I do know that tracking down land owners right around here is an absolute nightmare, and many knocks on doors will go unanswered or else no one you can find is willing or able to tell you how to reach the landowners. So, yeah... nails, machine parts, brass cartridge casings, spent bullets. That'll be 90% + of what I'll be doing. I'm really hoping that someone here will have some experience with MD in that direction, not just precious metals and coins. I'm sure there's probably some tricks specific to relic hunting; I'm just not having a lot of luck finding a whole lot about that pursuit.

One thing I really don't want, and the reason I'm reluctant to get a very basic machine, is constant tripping that results in fruitless digging of old BB's and rust granules. Oh, yes. I did neglect to mention in my original book, er, I mean post, that all those thousands of BB's I shot as a kid are scattered all over here. I consider them quite innocuous compared to a nails, screws, and segments of barbed wire...but I suspect they'll become quite an annoyance now. Any suggestions on this would be very welcome!

Mouseman, I know exactly what you're saying. I thought long and hard about it before I started, too. I concluded that any brief way I present it will be so vague that most replies would be inapplicable to my circumstances, or else I'd be asked for a lot of clarification. I decided to spell out exactly what I'm wanting to do here since it's the opposite of what most people do with MD. If people don't want to read it or comment, no problem. Anyone who truly enjoys the hobby will probably also enjoy reading anything and everything about it, as I do with my various hobbies and interests. Those are the people I want to hear from; I'm not asking for everybody here to weigh in, only those who have something useful to offer in my unusual circumstances. I very much appreciate what people have told me so far.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim... I have just started my MD'ing hobby so I can relate to the indecision you're experiencing, although my situation isn't as involved or intricate as yours. My final decision was to go with the Garrett AT Pro.... not because it was "the best" at one specific task but because I saw it as a nicely flexible machine that would probably do well in almost any situation, and it was a fairly-affordable mid-range machine at @$700. One feature it has that tipped the scales, at least for me, is that it is waterproof to about 10'. I won't be taking it snorkeling or diving, but I do appreciate being able to have it out in any kind of weather, and wet terrain isn't a hazard for it.

Any metal detector will readily find the type of stuff you're interested in - in fact, that is the bane of most other MD'ists and we try to avoid it or go around it (except for the relic hunters among us). What you need is a machine that will ground balance effectively and be able to discriminate out as much as possible the items you don't want. Unfortunately for you what you want to find and what you don't want to find often sound/appear to be the exact same thing, so resign yourself to a lot of digging. That's just the way it works. Even the best machines out there won't tell you with 100% accuracy what your coil is hovering over. Some are better than others at being in the ballpark, so to speak, but that's as good as it gets. The key will be for you to be relentless and just keep on practicing and learning whatever machine you eventually choose so that you know its every trick and idiosyncracy... then you'll get to where you want to be.

It sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead of you... good luck and happy results!

OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Fletch and Dagger... what you guys posted is pretty much along the lines of the kinds of responses I was hoping to get.

It may seem odd, but after doing a lot of reading from the starting point that Terry Solomon provided up above, I settled on a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. Of all things!!!

Like any seasoned detectorist who throughly perused my original post would determine, my situation is both unusual and complex. I am looking for what is mostly junk that needs to be removed from the ground, be it to satisfy my curiosity, to prevent injury to tissue or tires, to preserve or enhance my supply of brass and lead, or just to clean up the environment I'm in at the time. There's no way any metal detector I choose can realistically be expected to 'pay for itself' in the foreseeable future. My area has only been settled in significant numbers for about 140 years and as predominately tenant farmers and proprietors, those folks had little or nothing of value to lose...and if they did, the places they'd likely have lost it are buried in concrete now! Anything valuable I unearth now will be a very freak occurrence, for sure.

My understanding is that the Fast Tracker does have some semblance of an automatic ground balance that is fairly good for what it is. Not as nice as a manually adjustable would be, but apparently quite adequate for just about anything. North Iowa isn't known to be highly mineralized ground, but where I'm at may just be given all of the geological treasures that can found just a stone's throw from where I'm sitting now (ha, ha!). I guess I'll find out soon enough! Hopefully none of those rocks are 'hot' enough to cause much interference. I'm well aware that any metal detector will detect the rusty iron I'm after...and that's kind of what I was afraid of! I don't want something that will constantly be screaming at me at the slightest hint of iron oxide somewhere beneath the coil. No guarantees that won't happen with the Fast Tracker, but I can get a 4" coil for it cheaply enough to not sweat it. Actually, I have a $75 gift certificate I was awarded that will cover the cost of a 4" and a 10" coil save for maybe $5 or so. I got a very good price on the machine, anyway.

Can anyone tell me why it is that a Fast Tracker comes with a 7" (or, 7 1/4", I guess) coil instead of the standard 8"? That does strike me as a bit odd. Everything indicates that that coil is perfectly interchangeable with other BH coils, so that one leaves me slightly flummoxed.

A Bounty Hunter may not be very prestigious and it may not be something that'll be passed down to generations to follow me, but for what I want to do and in my circumstances, I doubt I'll be much worse off than if I was to get a Tesoro or a Garrett AT. After all, there are conceivably some years I might not get the thing out! If nothing else, I can always move up to a more powerful machine in the future and go back over ground out here that I've already 'cleared'. My main concern is stuff that is on or just below the surface anyway. If I find something that's a foot deep or more at a future time, that'll just be icing on the cake.

OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initial experiences:

The Bounty Hunter FastTracker I bought arrived today. I dropped what I was doing to mount the lower shaft and coil, drop in a pair of 9V batteries, and start playing a bit.

The very first thing I did was turn the sensitivity all the way up and use it in the 'all metals' mode to test its ability to register the heads of nails in the drywall. From this, I'd say the pinpointing ability of this thing isn't too shabby, as the nail heads were located pretty much exactly below where the coil mounts to the stem.

I air-tested a 200 grain .45 caliber cast semi-wadcutter bullet that contains a small amount of tin, antimony, and silver. I got a good solid low tone at about 4-5" with the discriminator dial turned to about the halfway position. The same test repeated with some .40 and .45 caliber shell casings gave me a combined low-high tone, same distance.

Not a tremendous surprise, but something I wasn't really expecting was that while the discriminator on any setting does a good job of eliminating ferrous metal, any steel that is galvanized or plated is picked right up. I wasn't sure that a thin coating would make that much difference, but thinking about it now, I suppose it'd be about the same as foil.

Taking it to our gravel driveway, I started finding solid hits almost right away. The discriminator trimmed out many of them, but with quite a few, it didn't make any difference. I'm not going to do any digging until spring now that the ground is starting to freeze... but it looks like I'll have no shortage of targets to investigate!

I had the sensitivity set between half and full, and didn't seem to be having much chatter or other noise that wasn't solid hits, and this was on ground that has had old beater cars dropping rusty steel onto it since the late 70's for certain and who knows how long prior to that! I did play with the sensitivity a bit to see if I could use that to validate targets, and it seems like that's effective. I'm figuring that if it's still being detected at half sensitivity, then there's definitely something there! Much of what is tripping the Fast Tracker does seem to be more than an inch below the surface as pulling the coil up more than an inch or so causes it to disappear, despite trying to 'X' it. It comes back when the coil is on or very near the ground. Testing the detector against vehicles, I'm only picking them up from a foot or a little more on air test. I'm going to take that to mean that any very large items I don't want to excavate in the immediate future aren't going to be causing much trouble for me and would provide something for a more sophisticated detector to do in the future.

For what it is I'm after, I'd say so far, so good!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing, I can say is next time you write don't write a book. People will skip most of your righting ,and look for your question or skip your question because, to much to reading. There is no perfect metal detector, and if there was we would all have one. Ground balance is important, and you get what you pay for.
I agree that was a little long to get to the point i did not read it all..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While what we did years ago and would still work today … Is go to a dealer check out the top brands buy the one you like … Then go out and start swinging it and when it beeps dig …. It is that easy.. And your Bounty will do you good.. And all i just about saw in your last 2 post was Bounty hunter sorry way to long for me.. I never read long post no matter who puts them up … We have others here that like to write also..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Keppy.

I'm not aware of any dealers around my parts, which is part of my problem! I really don't have anyone to visit with in person. I know of enough people who supposedly acquired a detector and maybe did a bit with it, but in all cases it was many years ago and they've all moved on or passed on. I probably wouldn't learn much from them even if I could ask them.

Dig when it beeps seems to be the way it's going to happen. Fortunately, it seems like I'm getting solid hits so far, though I won't know until I start unearthing the stuff to see just what it is. All the background interference I feared isn't apparently the issue I suspected it may be.

I will say this about the Fast Tracker. My right arm is all loused up - elbow and shoulder tendons are all ripped up. Now, I wasn't at it all that long, but nevertheless, swinging it was not uncomfortable! Very lightweight.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Keppy.

I'm not aware of any dealers around my parts, which is part of my problem! I really don't have anyone to visit with in person. I know of enough people who supposedly acquired a detector and maybe did a bit with it, but in all cases it was many years ago and they've all moved on or passed on. I probably wouldn't learn much from them even if I could ask them.

Dig when it beeps seems to be the way it's going to happen. Fortunately, it seems like I'm getting solid hits so far, though I won't know until I start unearthing the stuff to see just what it is. All the background interference I feared isn't apparently the issue I suspected it may be.

I will say this about the Fast Tracker. My right arm is all loused up - elbow and shoulder tendons are all ripped up. Now, I wasn't at it all that long, but nevertheless, swinging it was not uncomfortable! Very lightweight.
Not good how did you tear your shoulder & arm up ?

OP
OP
T

Tim Gordon

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chronic overuse injuries, Keppy. I can proudly claim to have tennis elbow, , golfer's elbow, and pitchers' shoulder all at the same time. 'Occupational disease' is apparently how this gets classified as it wasn't any accident or event that caused it, just continuing to do more work than my joints could handle. I'm now one of those people who can say that as soon as I got my head straight, my body started falling apart!

Have a great weekend!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Chronic overuse injuries, Keppy. I can proudly claim to have tennis elbow, , golfer's elbow, and pitchers' shoulder all at the same time. 'Occupational disease' is apparently how this gets classified as it wasn't any accident or event that caused it, just continuing to do more work than my joints could handle. I'm now one of those people who can say that as soon as I got my head straight, my body started falling apart!

Have a great weekend!
I know what you mean my son hurt his shoulder playing baseball in college…… I fell on the ice 4 years ago and my shoulder still gives me trouble .. So i know your pain .. Good luck to you and .. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread