Brand New - Looking for advice on detector purchase

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly, I want to apologize for the long read although, with the complexity of metal detecting in regards to discovery goals, I feel that more information is best for solid advice.

With that said I am completely new to metal detecting although the past week I have picked up a few metal detecting youtube channels and also done a good amount of research in order to get a general idea of the concepts and tech of detecting. In that amount of time I have become absolutely obsessed with the idea of getting out there and digging up a storm. I used to detect with a $30 detector as a kid and it lead to some great adventures and awe inspiring discoveries (which I can’t wait to relive). I love the outdoors/hiking/camping and I think detecting would exponentially increase the enjoyment and possibilities on these adventures. I don’t know why I haven’t realized this earlier. I have about $1500 to $2000 at the moment to spend including accessories as I am serious about getting into detecting and learning as much as possible in my free time.

Unfortunately I am blessed with the challenge of black sand at the beach as a result of living in southern California (LA County) and so selecting a detector with my knowledge and lack of experience is extremely difficult. I am hoping you guys here can help me out with a decision that I will be happy with. I will be detecting at the beach majority of the time as I live so close, I especially have my eye on the wet sand. I feel like wet sand is where the real relics/treasure are from centuries ago as so many relics can be washed up over time. I was thinking of the AT Pro as it’s reasonably priced as well as having amazing versatility (I also will be detecting on land in the forest and rivers), although the AT Pro does not seem to fare well in the wet beach sand here due to the heavy mineralization even with its discrimination.

The dilemma is that I feel it would be horrible to miss all the good treasure/relics that are deep in the wet sand/water at the beach due to the ground balancing I would need to set on the AT Pro. It’s also unfortunate because the AT Pro is such a good detector for the money and versatile in any setting other than wet beach sand. I feel it would be great for all my other relic/coin/gold detecting that I will be doing in the forest and rivers on camping trips/hikes. Due to the fact I feel I will be spending the vast majority of my time in the wet sand and dry at the beach since I live 5 mins away, it doesn’t make sense for me to start with the AT Pro.

I am wondering what would be the best move for me based on this information. I don’t feel like digging deep will be a huge issue for me, maybe in fact I should be that person that digs deep all the time as a rite of passage into detecting to maximize the amount of learning/experience. With that train of thought, a waterproof PI detector would be great because I can detect with it literally anywhere unlike VLF machines. This way I wouldn’t miss out on any good finds at the expense of digging deep. I feel like this might be my best bet to start, but I am leaving it up to the advice I get from you guys. I do not yet understand the benefit of multiple frequency vs. PI technology other than the ability to discriminate. I’m sure there are also other types of tech I don’t know about that combine with VLF and multi-frequency detectors that might be a good fit for me. I would certainly consider the possibility of buying 2 different used machines with my budget in order to satisfy wet beach and dry conditions.

I would really appreciate the help and I look forward to getting acquainted with members here and learning from you all. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After owning the following machines: Ace350, ATPro, Silver uMax, Cibola, Vaquero, Tejon, Tiger & Sand Shark, Sovereign GT (two separate occasions) Eurotek pro, CZ-3D, CZ-5, CZ-21, Excal 1000, Excal 2, Etrac, CTX 3030, and the GPX 4800 I actually feel like the Tesoros and the GPX taught me more about detecting than any of the others. Maybe it was from repeatedly thumbing a disc knob and/ or learning what a good round audio signal sounds like. The thing I feel handicaps many newcomers is constantly checking a screen looking for what numbers "should" be there. A Ron's 180 meter or an original Sovereign meter on a Sovereign XX is almost always faster and more accurate than most all VDI machines.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to Bart at Big Boy Hobbies. AT Pro is a coin finding machine. The reason so many people own them is because they work and you can take them about anywhere in any weather and not worry about them getting wet. When I go hunting be it parks, rivers, campgrounds I always start out with it in the morning because of dew on the ground, mud etc cause I don't have to be careful with it. If it starts raining I can continue detecting with it and not run for the car. Around nail infested houses it does an awesome job of separation and finding the goodies. I have tested it up against my Deus and can honestly say it stands its ground. I will never let the AT Pro go. There is something to be said about hunting and not worrying about how you treat the machine cause it was only 600 bucks to begin with.

Thanks for helping me further clear that up! I know exactly what you mean about not having to worry about it due to the price. I think I found a lightly used Sov GT although for only $200 more than the AT Pro and I think I'm gonna gmable with it. :P The reviews are great!

Brizors, the Sovereign that Rusty Gold had listed on here is a deal you should jump on! That's over $400 worth of accessories and 33 months of warranty left on machine.

I'm on it! Setting up a date to check it out! :)

Just an opinion..............if you are NEW to detecting, a LCD screen with info on a target is going to help teach you much better than a machine that just produces sound like the Sov GT. Sound machines become a second nature to many detectorists later. Sound only machines usually go deeper as not having to contend with visual electronics. Not knocking them, but have seen a lot of disappointed new comers because they bit off more than they could chew.

I was thinking long and hard about that last night. I came to the conclusion that since I know I am going to hit this hobby hard and stick with it that I'm going to play hard ball and dive right in and go for the Sov GT. Thanks for the sound advice!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Brian for purchasing the Sovereign GT! I enjoyed meeting you and Angel! The best of Luck with your new detector!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a add on 180 meter on my GT but took it off as I felt no need for it. Meters only show you the relative conductivity of the target and not what it really is. If the meter "says" pull tap and you pass it up you could have passed up on a nice ring.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Brian for purchasing the Sovereign GT! I enjoyed meeting you and Angel! The best of Luck with your new detector!
Thank you Don and it was a pleasure to meet you! I look forward to some awesome finds!
I had a add on 180 meter on my GT but took it off as I felt no need for it. Meters only show you the relative conductivity of the target and not what it really is. If the meter "says" pull tap and you pass it up you could have passed up on a nice ring.
I think I will probably dig everything for a good while. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread