Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twelve years old and want to get into detecting, huh? Welcome to the most-addiction obsession of your life, my friend. :hello:

If you want to save a little money until you are really sure if you like it, then I say go for the Fisher F2. Simple. Sweet. Quality. You will learn the rudiments of detecting and by the time you have learned that detector and how to detect, you'll most likely have found enough coins and jewelry to buy a new AT Pro.

I say that the AT Pro is probably the best detector on the market today for a novice detectorist. Why? Because it finds a lot of treasure! Its as simple as turn-on-and-go, yet has enough features to grow with. Its a lot of detector for the money, and flexible too, being how it can go underwater.

Now let me ask this: How big is your commitment? If you are the type of person who will power through the the bad times and coast through the good times (in detecting), then you will be safe buying the more-expensive ATP. If you are unsure and careful with your cash, go for the lesser unit. Its ALWAYS nice to have a secondary, backup detector, so your money will not go to waste if you decide you want to stick with it.

Does this help? :thumbsup:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 12 year old who has saved $520, I would say nice job! Should you spend it, that is something you have to figure out. You have been using your Bounty Hunter and enjoying the hobby, why do you feel you need to upgrade now that the winter is here? Put that money in the bank and keep you eye out for a used AT pro or maybe even something better, as the used market can provide a really good bang for the buck. If nothing happens in the local used market before spring, get your ATP when the weather is nicer! There is value in learning patients when it come to spending money you have worked hard to come by. BTW, Whites has some really nice stuff under $500, just because they use Garrett on TV does not mean they are the best, especially if you are not going to go into the water..

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I want to buy the Garret AT Pro. I have the money to do so i just do not know if i should. I live in Western WA so not to much history with the exception of my 1 found '43S half. And as a 12yr. old $520 is a whole lot of money. So i was wondering if there is somewhere i could rent one for a couple of a days or should i just buy one?
-CRH

Do you have any other experience with any other detectors? Do you currently have one of a different make? If so, the try to join up with someone else in your state that has the machine your eyeing. Even if it means having to drive an hour or two. Go to an area prolific with easy targets (even if it just means clad), and flag signals to cross-compare between your two machines. THEN you can see the pro's and con's (comparative strengths of signals, TID accuracy, etc...) of each machine, versus what you are used to.

However, if you have no current machine, and no experience, then such a demonstration won't be too helpful. I mean, with no experience whatsoever, you'd have nothing to compare it to mentally. Same for simply borrowing one for a few days: you may hate it, and find nothing, make no sense of it, etc... But that could merely mean you weren't using it right, didn't learn the sounds to chase versus ignore, or were at lame places w/no goodies , etc....

So if you can hook up with someone proficient with that machine, in your area. Not just a "sandbox hunter", but someone who routinely comes in with the old coins. Not only see if you can borrow it (with a deposit $, etc...), but also that they can take you around, let you listen to signals (even if only clad at an easy place). So you can see how they're doing it. The reason for this is: printed instructions can NEVER do justice to metal detectors. Reason is: since detectors are very sound-related, there is simply no way to convey sounds and tones in printed text. It can't be done. It has to be heard, seen, etc....

Keep fishing on different forums while listing your county name in the title heading. And someone should see it, and chime in as to whether there's a user, dealer, etc... of that particular machine within driving distance of you. Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
oops, just saw that you're 12 yrs. old. Oh well, you won't be "driving" anywhere. Doh! Maybe someone in your area close that is willing to come to you though.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRH - I forgot to mention that the F2 can be had for about $200. Decent machine for the money.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it kid. I think it's great a 12 year old wants to detect. Kudos to you for having a hobby besides cell phones and television.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located CRH? Maybe someone on here could take you out. Many of us have multiple detectors you could try.

OP
OP
C

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably forgot to mention a couple of things. Right now i have been using the pioneer 505 which i got for Christmas for off and on use for when we travel or are out and about. I have been using the machine for about a year now and have found the '43S half. We will be moving to the east coast soon which sparks me wanting to upgrade. I have lurked this forum site for about a year now since i CRH ($550 per week) and have started to really enjoy MD'ing. I live in Puget Sound WA not to much history up here besides the fact that the town i lived in was housing for a NIKE project in the '40s (Hence the '43S half).

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I'm impressed a 12 year old would know of Project Nike.

it's a big investment but a detector that will keep you satisfied for a long time. Thinking back to when I was 12 (LONG AGO) there are a couple things I still pursue that I enjoyed then. in fact, the Beatles were my favorite group then - and still producing albums at that time - and remain so now. ;-) Fishing and model airplanes would be the other two.

Know that when you get to be 16 to 18 things will shift (opposite sex, college, jobs, cars - not necessarily in that order). but I really don't see a downside to going for it now. IF that much cash is available to you. It truly is a pursuit that can stick with you for a lifetime.

Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You haven't specified which type of detecting you plan on doing. If it's going to be a salt water beach, I would have a completely different recommendation from a park, mining area, or relic site.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies he will treat you right and most likely get you the best deal. It will take you a bit to tune the ATP to your liking and you getting accustomed to the tones so you know what it is telling you but it is a very good machine for the money. Go with your gut when you buy a detector because if you don't you will go back and buy that model later anyway.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You say your moving to the east coast? Where abouts?
There's a ton of stuff to be found there in Oz :) I say go for it and just get out and about. Not going to knock your 505 *much* but I found a lot of stuff shuffling around with a bounty hunter here till I upgraded to a Garret GTI 2000 *which I upgraded the guts to a 2500 just for the backlight* and when I hit the old spots again it was a new field all over again. Just gotta keep swinging and even where your at now there's likely to be a lot to be found with just that type of machine.

OP
OP
C

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Would be detecting more towards the relic side

OP
OP
C

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We mainly want to move to NC or PA or Alabama.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an AT Pro. Good machine for the money. A slight learning curve, but not bad for a nimble 12 YO brain.

That's great that you set a goal, and saved up that much money to fulfill it. If you earned the money, spend it anyway that you want. If you are into detecting, and feel that you will continue on with the hobby, then go for it. Buying a lightly used machine, might not be a bad idea.

I wish you good luck whichever direction you decide to go. GL&HH!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At Pro would be fine for that use. If you find you've saved more pennies than you think or can earn a bit more between now and when you actually decide, I'd get the Fisher F75 for relic hunting. It also does a decent job coin and jewelry hunting. Neither are a good salt water beach or nugget machine however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions