little compadre takes down mighty Deus and at pro

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an old drive e in today that was infested with pull tabs and bottle caps. The deus and pro sounded like machine guns. After about two hours of listening to all the chatter and finding nothing I switched to the compadre and immediately found two wheat pennies. By the time it was over I had 5 wheat pennies and two silver roosevelts.
Morale of the story is if you don't have this little 160 dollar detector in your arsenal your missing out cause it does have its place

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job!

What kind of coils were you using on each detector? I've had pretty good success with the Garrett 5x8 coil in trashy areas.

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 in, 11 in on deus and 5x8 on at pro. This place has about 30 pull tabs and caps for every square yard. I c I uld have notched it out I guess but was just easier to grab the compadre lol

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my ATP in trash and my V3i for everything else. I could use the V3i for trash as well but then I would never use my ATP

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 in, 11 in on deus and 5x8 on at pro. This place has about 30 pull tabs and caps for every square yard. I c I uld have notched it out I guess but was just easier to grab the compadre lol

I'd say the guy on the Deus needs to practice with his machine more.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
welgund, good post. Yes that machine, and various other 2-filter machines like it, are great for that type hunt environment. Yes they will out-hunt the power-house deep-seekers, that have spell-binding TIDs, depth, and ability in minerals.

The 2-filters lack depth, are poor in minerals, and usually have zero TID features. However, they can see through and around pulltabs and nails till the cows come home (albeit not too deeply). So they're great for under bleachers, sidewalk tearouts/urban demolition type sites, etc......

If you delicately set the disc. so that it is *just* high enough to knock out round tabs, you will notice that if you put 1 or 2 tabs over a dime, you will STILL get a signal. That's because it's good at averaging (or seeing through, or whatever you want to call it). Whereas if you're trying to knock out tabs with other machines, you can kiss that dime goodbye.

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom you are so right. The little machines have there place. I would never give up the deus and at pro because I use them 99 percent of the time and they have both found me some wonderful things. That compadre had its day in the sun and mole man if you have never tried the compadre don't knock it cause it works better than a lot of hi end machines lol

hightonehunter

Oct 21, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Elite 2200( First Texas ), Garrett pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been metal detecting for about a year and a half now( probably only about 25% of that due to recovering from back surgery) and I have found a lot of good finds with my starter machine( elite 2200 ). I plan on always keeping it and using it. I am about to purchase a AT Pro to use because I want to hunt in water and it's in my budget. Good to see that you keep several detectors in your arsenal. I'm a carpenter and I have learned thru the years that just because s tool will work doesn't mean it's the best one for the job! HH.......David

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the little Compadre! Sometimes I'm in a state of mind where a beep and dig just feels right!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom you are so right. The little machines have there place. I would never give up the deus and at pro because I use them 99 percent of the time and they have both found me some wonderful things. That compadre had its day in the sun and mole man if you have never tried the compadre don't knock it cause it works better than a lot of hi end machines lol

Im not a huge Tesoro fan (as many know), but the Compadre with 5.75" coil is amazing for its price. Like Tom said, not great depth, but separation is really great and it loves small gold. I've found bb sized and smaller shot with mine and lotsa clad, small silver earrings, etc... Although I love the F2 I replaced it with, I still consider buying another compadre. If you are a modern jewelry hunter who mostly hits schools, parks, etc...the Comp is really all one needs. Another plus, at $160, it can pay for itself easier even with clad!

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perses, I figured it out on the Deus by some coins I got from there what was going on. Not sure what is coating these coins but when I ran the At Pro over them I still get garbage signals even with them laying right on top of the ground. Copper wheat pennies reading all over the board and mid tones etc. Was getting the same weird synth sounds on them with the Deus making me think they were pull tabs etc but when I ran in 12khz, reac 3, and turned the sense down to 80 it cleaned them up real nice. For the record, the Deus is a highly programmable machine and can handle just about any situation with the corrected settings which you have to find and use for whatever location you are trying to hunt. Found a 53silver quarter, WW2 infantry button and some wheats again yesterday with the compadre. Nothing has been over 2 to 3 inches deep and I am going to clean that place out with the compadre cause its so easy to use and go back in the summer after a few rains and clear out all the deep stuff with the Deus. hehe I found my honey hole.

Settings on Deus that finally cleaned it up.

Disc 10
Tones 4
sens 80-85
TX 2
Freq 11.8
IV 0
Reac 3
Sil 2
AR 4

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a simple little Tesoro once. Loved it. It was an older version of the Vaquero (I think - memory fades) - the box hung under the shaft, not on top like the ones now. Anyway, that little sucker was so light and friendly. I always used that in fairgrounds and tot lots and always pounded the clads. Nice little machine. Unassuming, and not too technical.

Some days ya just wanna get out and swing, ya know? :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread