1678 Cob found in the late 80s

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
1678 Cob found in the late 80's

This cob was found in Rhode Island in the late 80's by a long time detectorist. Nothing special to the story of finding it. I'm just jealous and wanted to post a picture of it. I've always wanted to snag one, but it hasn't happened yet. It appears to be a Potosi mint 1678 and weighs about 26grams. Thanks for looking. Any additional info on it would be great. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image-1321597445.jpg
    image-1321597445.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3279602200.jpg
    image-3279602200.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't have any info on it, but just wanted to say that's a nice-looking find ! I'm guessing a land find, not a beach find, eh? (based on good shape of the metal). If you can imagine how hard those are to find on the east coast, then imagine how hard they are to find on the WEST coast, where our utmost earlier European toe-hold, wasn't till 1769. I've only ever heard of 2 or 3 cobs found on this coast :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have any info on it, but just wanted to say that's a nice-looking find ! I'm guessing a land find, not a beach find, eh? (based on good shape of the metal). If you can imagine how hard those are to find on the east coast, then imagine how hard they are to find on the WEST coast, where our utmost earlier European toe-hold, wasn't till 1769. I've only ever heard of 2 or 3 cobs found on this coast :)

Looks over cleaned so I don't think the current condition is much of an indication to the type of pace it was found.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
True, it was actually professionally cleaned by a jeweler. He had told me it was almost brown when it came out.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this is From the wreck of the Consolacion, Nice 8-reale silver cob "Piece of Eight."
Intended to be part of the Spanish “South Seas Fleet” of 1681, which left Lima’s port of Callao in April, the Consolación apparently was delayed and ended up traveling alone. At the Gulf of Guayaquil, off modern-day Ecuador, the Consolación encountered English pirates, led by Bartholomew Sharpe, who forced the Spanish galleon to sink on a reef off Santa Clara Island (later nicknamed “Isla de Muerto,” or Dead Man’s Island). Before the pirates could get to the ship, the crew set fire to her and tried to escape to the nearby island without success. Angered by the inability to seize the valuable cargo of the Consolación, Sharpe’s men killed the Spaniards and tried in vain to recover the treasure through the efforts of local fishermen. Spanish attempts after that were also fruitless, so the treasure of the Consolación sat undisturbed until our time.

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
Thanks for that info! I have heard the story of the consolacion before. Under what scenarios could it end up dug in Rhode Island?

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was re discovered between 1978-1981. Someone is probably still really mad that they dropped that coin out of their collection! Lol

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
Lol maybe...I'm sure they may have been circulated widely amongst other vessels also. Perhaps vessel to vessel and eventually to the northern US colonies.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that the story is it was a "Pirated" ship, I would doubt the loot was traded as the currency was not accepted and would be worthless in that time period other than its silver weight.
With the oceans constant movement and under currents and tides, things can move dramatically over 200+ years.
It's quite a find! A "Treasured" piece of substantial history!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm unable to verify coin or condition from available pictures. Please send to me for certain authentication. ;)
Seriously, cleaned or not, it's wonderful!
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread