frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was thinking of using the below magnet to try and find me some under water finds. Tractor Supply has them for $15.99. They are 5 inches in length and weigh almost 2 pounds with a 150 pound pull. My questions are:
1. Have any of you tried using a magnet in this way before and what have you found?
2. What is the best way to remove the fings from the magnet without damaging the items?
3. What are any helpful tips when using this method?

magnet.jpg

Upvote 0

gordygroover

Sep 2, 2011
So, I was thinking of using the below magnet to try and find me some under water finds. Tractor Supply has them for $15.99. They are 5 inches in length and weigh almost 2 pounds with a 150 pound pull. My questions are:
1. Have any of you tried using a magnet in this way before and what have you found?
2. What is the best way to remove the fings from the magnet without damaging the items?

View attachment 1088656
i have used that same magnet and can answer most of your questions.
I find nails...wire.. More nails. Rusty screwdrivers. Not much treasure.
Don't just hit or miss an area. Try to mentally grid the bottom. Toss the magnet six inches from your last toss to give yourself a better chance of covering the bottom.
Don't worry about damaging an item when removing it from the magnet. The item is going to be iron or steel. It will be rusty. Wear light gloves and just pry the junk off the magnet and put it all into a bucket or bag.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used that same magnet and can answer most of your questions.
I find nails...wire.. More nails. Rusty screwdrivers. Not much treasure.
Don't just hit or miss an area. Try to mentally grid the bottom. Toss the magnet six inches from your last toss to give yourself a better chance of covering the bottom.
Don't worry about damaging an item when removing it from the magnet. The item is going to be iron or steel. It will be rusty. Wear light gloves and just pry the junk off the magnet and put it all into a bucket or bag.

Hey, thanks for the info! I will more than likely pick this magnet up next week sometime and give it a shot.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An easy way to remove items from a magnet is to first wrap a strong piece of cloth around the magnet first. When you bring your magnet back in, just remove the cloth and pull items away from magnet ! Piece of cake.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An easy way to remove items from a magnet is to first wrap a strong piece of cloth around the magnet first. When you bring your magnet back in, just remove the cloth and pull items away from magnet ! Piece of cake.

It are posts like this that make me stare at my monitor and think...."why the hell didn't I think of this"

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my buddies dads would always go out just after the "Free fishing day" in the state, and hit the ponds where the kids came to fish for the planted trout and such, and they ALWAYS pulled out new fishing rods the day after. The kids would leave them on the banks and the fish would pull them in. I remember his best haul was something like 6 in one pond, once. Pretty funny.

Skippy

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem is as I see it, most valuable finds are not magnetic so you'll be passing up jewelry and most coins unless they contain iron as modern Canadien coins do.
luvsdux

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Fisher F75, Fisher Cold Bg II, Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
The problem is as I see it, most valuable finds are not magnetic so you'll be passing up jewelry and most coins unless they contain iron as modern Canadien coins do.
luvsdux
yes. it's hard to be found. but some lucky man found it!
b9d68276c079.jpg

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I have one that I have used some. Fish hooks & rusty steel are what I have found the most. Cheap fishing reels & trash are often found near piers, etc.
TIP;
Be careful if you toss it into the water & pull it back to you. It is EASY to get hung up under something & stuck. Works better out of a boat . If it gets hung up, go around to the other side & it usually pulls free.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does that big orange brick weigh? How many times and how far can you throw it? Can you pull it loose from immovable pieces of half buried bridge iron?

Personally I'd be looking at the neodynium magnets with eye bolts.

image.jpg

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What does that big orange brick weigh? How many times and how far can you throw it? Can you pull it loose from immovable pieces of half buried bridge iron?
1200kg strength guaranted (Link removed by mod)
1200-1gold.jpg 1200-4.jpg
Personally I'd be looking at the neodynium magnets with eye bolts.

also there's two sided and one sided magnet that you need
up to 800kg pool power strength on eBay like this
ebay item (Link removed by mod)
F200Labeled.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1200kg (2645 lbs) magnet would lift something about the size of a Honda Civic, even the 200kg (440 lbs) magnet could be extremely difficult to remove your finds with out damage. So unless you are lowering them into the river with a tow truck those are a bit overkill.

(Just my opinion)

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A 1200kg (2645 lbs) magnet would lift something about the size of a Honda Civic, even the 200kg (440 lbs) magnet could be extremely difficult to remove your finds with out damage. So unless you are lowering them into the river with a tow truck those are a bit overkill.

(Just my opinion)
you are perhaps right.
but if here's big tank or tractor down in the water...

I might get one for my refrigerator. The ones I have keep falling off.
you can get it with link that i provide on eBay if you want.
but you need to know that there's full 1200kg pull power only when
1 you pull it only vertically
2 surface is not rusted. not painted
3 it's stuck with full magnet suface
4 thikness of metall is not lower than 3mm

little not vertically ? - lowest pull power
not 3mm thikness ? - lower power
not stucked with full surface ? - lower pull power

for example:
if you will stuck there only one sewing needle - there's no any 1200kg pull power for this object.

Last edited:

Davemill

Greenie
Aug 22, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Detector(s) used
DFX with Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Icewing is correct. Do not underestimate the power of these commonly submerged objects to grab and hold your magnet:
* shopping carts
* car engines
* concrete with rebar or i-beams
* refrigerators
* bridge or dock pilings

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Messer, welcome to Treasurenet. Sorry but only Charter Members can list EBay links to sales....

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many foreign (to the USA) coins are attracted to magnets so bridge fishing in other countries can be profitable. In the US though you are likely to get trash instead. : (

Messer

Greenie
Jan 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Many foreign (to the USA) coins are attracted to magnets so bridge fishing in other countries can be profitable. In the US though you are likely to get trash instead. : (

yes. but treasure worth the wait !

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1088656

What a great way to cleanup an area before running your detector over it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions