Best Metal detector for 1st time buyer

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been asked a thousand times, so sorry, but if anyone can help that would be great. I have really researched and Think I know what I want, but am still unsure. I think I really want the ace 350, but was also seriously considering the Tesoro Compadre and the Fisher F2. Seems like I can get more free stuff with the ace but also want to make sure I won't be sorry. Don't want to spend any more than 400 for everything if possible. I live in ohio half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I would be thankful for any opinions. Thanks

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live close to you and have 2 metal detectors available to sell.

Fisher F4 with the DD coil $250 or a Whites Classic ID $150.00 (comes with a spare battery tray) I also have a pinpointer I paid $45 for but will sell for $20 if you buy one of the metal detectors.

I have instruction booklets for both metal detectors and a willing to show you how to use either one if you buy one..

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you live loco digger?

roobinjake

Oct 17, 2014
south east kent uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro gold sabre ,toltec100 ,cutlass umax,vintage cscope3300,,fieldmaster55, fieldmaste44,fisher mscope1210x, cscopecs990xd, toltec 80 ,fieldmaster fm250, lobo supertrq , bandido ,vintage bounty hunt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i live in uk and use tesoro detectors ive had a gold sabre since 1986 still going strong never let me down ,the Compadre or cutllas are good all round machines ..
jake uk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Southern Lorain County, down near Wellington, close to Findley State Park.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thats not too far Loco. I live in Trumbull county near Warren. Can u detect in Findley State Park? Maybe someday after I get this you could show me how it's done.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are plenty of places to detect, I have been to many sites in a 40 mile radius this year. Just hunted south of Lordstown about a month ago in both North Jackson and Berlin Center. Was on my way back from picking up my F75 LTD SE from PA.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might consider the At Pro. In the standard mode it's like having the Ace 350 and is a good beginner machine. In the pro zero mode it can compete with the big boys. Once you get started and comfortable you will probably want a machine that goes deeper. Also there's nothing better than having a machine that can go to up to 10 feet deep in the water. The Pro is a user friendly machine that has the ability to be custom programmed or to turn and burn right out of the box using preset programs. I also recommend buying used if possible (a lot of people think they will like metal detecting but don't want to put in the time or effort to learn it, so they quit). Using Ebay with a buyers guarantee is nice. Good luck in your choice.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the help. My wife got me a Fisher F2 with 3 coils for Christmas. Hope it does the job. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice but 3 extra coils ? Mmm
I would have spent that on the next model up . Upgrading is something people do after buying cheap .
You have a decent machine now get get to hunting .

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello jefatk,
Welcome. First, there is no "best" 1st time detector, just a LOT of good options.

When I bought my first detector, I did some research on available features. Two features were a requirement for me:
1) Adjustable ground balance, either manual, auto, or both. This gives you the ability to operate in a variety of mineralization of ground, in your area. Some machines mentioned, have factory preset GB which may limit the machines abilities in changing ground conditions.

2) Good discrimination. The machines ability to discriminate unwanted metals, (iron for example), in very trashy areas. It can make your detecting experience more enjoyable when operating in areas with lots of ferrous objects. It is also good on the flipside of that, to have an all-metal mode for detecting cleaner areas, or relics, which will discriminate nothing. Some machines have a progressive type knob, others have a notch type, where certain areas of conductivity are notched out.

Also pay attention to the type of coil it comes with. Some have concentric, some have DD type. The DD coils work better in mineralized ground and have better coverage.

You can be in a room with ten detectorist's and ask, what the best first detector is, and get ten different answers.

A little research is always best, that way you can choose a machine that fits you. GOOD LUCK

I take your recommendation of having the ability to ground balance either manually or automatically very serious as i presently nugget hunt with a gold bug 2 and a Whites GMT which they both have the capability..... but investigating all these recommendations on this post none of them have ground balance manual capabilities for under the $500 range. Your fisher F5 is the only one in the price range that does it so now i have to wait and see if i can find a used one at a good price for coin hunting etc..... my gold detectors are strictly for the claims.
As everybody knows you pump the coil up and down to ground balance and i'm not sure if any recommended here do that like for example the Fisher F2?_______

Update: I am still investigating and now see the Garrett AT Pro offers manual and auto groundbalance..... not having did much other than working the goldfields i'm pretty green on coins and relics

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people new to the hobby are not looking to sink $500 or more....so i give a vote to the Ace 350. I just had a guy ask me this question and that was my answer to him...i also told him there may be a better starter machine that i havent used.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take your recommendation of having the ability to ground balance either manually or automatically very serious as i presently nugget hunt with a gold bug 2 and a Whites GMT which they both have the capability..... but investigating all these recommendations on this post none of them have ground balance manual capabilities for under the $500 range. Your fisher F5 is the only one in the price range that does it so now i have to wait and see if i can find a used one at a good price for coin hunting etc..... my gold detectors are strictly for the claims.
As everybody knows you pump the coil up and down to ground balance and i'm not sure if any recommended here do that like for example the Fisher F2?_______

Update: I am still investigating and now see the Garrett AT Pro offers manual and auto groundbalance..... not having did much other than working the goldfields i'm pretty green on coins and relics

GB is more important for your gold hunting than coin hunting. The Gold Bug 2 operating at 71 khz can see the tiniest of nuggets where our 3-8 khz machines won't. So it is also sensitive to mineralized soil as well and needs the fine tuning of ground balance. Hunting coins and medium sized jewelry can be very effective with 3-8 khz machines with preset ground balance (usually 82) in most all soils. Lower khz machines get better depth with their signal, but give up detection of tinier objects. Unless you are in some of the high mineralized soils areas of the world (Pacific NW, wet water beach, etc.) detectors like the F2, Ace 250/350 will work just fine getting into the 7 maybe 8 inch range.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Phantasman,
Arizona has very high mineralized ground..... You can run an earth magnet thru it just about anywhere here in the Phoenix valley and come up with black sand or hot rocks sticking to it. There is no black topsoil here and just about everything is reddish and hard as concrete. A Lesche Tool has a hard time digging thru it and needs at least an 18" miners pick to get into it.... Most of the coin shooters say to get a DD Coil and Ground balance capabilities here. I really enjoy my Nugget Hunting but to just run a few local hiking paths and places people frequent would be something different as going way out into the desert alone to nugget hunt is dangerous..... If i go back east to visit family i would like to have something to work the salt water beaches.
From what i am reading and exploring a Whites MXT Pro is the way to go but they are so darn expensive.
I am also seeing the Fisher F5 as a very good option with manual/auto ground balance and threshold too..... and more in reason with the $500 mark

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Fisher F4 allows for manual GB, It lists for $399

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Phantasman,
Arizona has very high mineralized ground..... You can run an earth magnet thru it just about anywhere here in the Phoenix valley and come up with black sand or hot rocks sticking to it. There is no black topsoil here and just about everything is reddish and hard as concrete. A Lesche Tool has a hard time digging thru it and needs at least an 18" miners pick to get into it.... Most of the coin shooters say to get a DD Coil and Ground balance capabilities here. I really enjoy my Nugget Hunting but to just run a few local hiking paths and places people frequent would be something different as going way out into the desert alone to nugget hunt is dangerous..... If i go back east to visit family i would like to have something to work the salt water beaches.
From what i am reading and exploring a Whites MXT Pro is the way to go but they are so darn expensive.
I am also seeing the Fisher F5 as a very good option with manual/auto ground balance and threshold too..... and more in reason with the $500 mark

Sounds like iron oxide is high in your soil. something I see in North Georgia hunting sites as well. A reddish clay when wet, hard as rock when dry.

I would agree that you need ground balancing if you are to be effective beyond 3-4 inches. Whites MXT-Pro is good as it runs a constant program for maintaining proper GB. At a lesser price, the Teknetics Omega will track it on screen, and a simple button push updates the balance. Not familiar with the newer Garretts, but the older Garretts didn't have the best GB abilities. My Fisher F5 was phenomenal in higher mineralization. So, I am partial to the Omega that utilizes the same process.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
My Fisher F4 allows for manual GB, It lists for $399

Thanks Loco.... That will be a big help as i'm trying not to spend too much money

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like iron oxide is high in your soil. something I see in North Georgia hunting sites as well. A reddish clay when wet, hard as rock when dry.

I would agree that you need ground balancing if you are to be effective beyond 3-4 inches. Whites MXT-Pro is good as it runs a constant program for maintaining proper GB. At a lesser price, the Teknetics Omega will track it on screen, and a simple button push updates the balance. Not familiar with the newer Garretts, but the older Garretts didn't have the best GB abilities. My Fisher F5 was phenomenal in higher mineralization. So, I am partial to the Omega that utilizes the same process.

Limonite is the reddish stone here and there are many more that hold copper,iron etc and being the ground is mostly bare you can easily see the color changes

The stuff we have here that compares to your red clay and acts the same is called Caliche..... basicaly "white Clay" of sorts with a few other minerals thrown in. To me it's cement :)

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i looked and looked around and there are many choices but i ran across a very good deal on a Lightly used Tesoro Vaquero for $275 and I watched a bunch of youtube videos on that product which all came back pretty good and one even compared it to the Milelab Etrek.
that was good enough for me after all those videos so i purchased it. I did want the VID Screen but being very familiar with the Gold Bug 2 out in the goldfields and reading reviews on the Tesoro Vaquero i figured i will give it a chance at that price.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i looked and looked around and there are many choices but i ran across a very good deal on a Lightly used Tesoro Vaquero for $275 and I watched a bunch of youtube videos on that product which all came back pretty good and one even compared it to the Milelab Etrek.
that was good enough for me after all those videos so i purchased it. I did want the VID Screen but being very familiar with the Gold Bug 2 out in the goldfields and reading reviews on the Tesoro Vaquero i figured i will give it a chance at that price.

Tesoro is always a good choice. And the V has the GB you need. It does take a lot of "ear" practice to learn it's language. But once learned, is killer in all types of soils. Let us know.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro is always a good choice. And the V has the GB you need. It does take a lot of "ear" practice to learn it's language. But once learned, is killer in all types of soils. Let us know.

I will definitely get back here when i get a chance to get out and try it....... I've already got a pretty good ear for sound changes as i have been using the gold bug 2 for very tiny specs of gold (It's killer for that) but at 71kHz it's just too high for other stuff going deep.
The Tesoro Vaquero at 14 kHz gives me what i need for coin shooting. In February i will be out in Quartzsite AZ and want to use it around all the massive campers that winter up there and the Gold Bug 2 for out on the GPAA Claims. It should be a fun time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread