Best Metal detector for 1st time buyer

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been asked a thousand times, so sorry, but if anyone can help that would be great. I have really researched and Think I know what I want, but am still unsure. I think I really want the ace 350, but was also seriously considering the Tesoro Compadre and the Fisher F2. Seems like I can get more free stuff with the ace but also want to make sure I won't be sorry. Don't want to spend any more than 400 for everything if possible. I live in ohio half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I would be thankful for any opinions. Thanks

Upvote 0

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the xp deus, at pro, compadre and ace 350. The ace 350 is collecting dust. For parks and playgrounds I use the compadre first and clean out the shallow stuff. Then go back over it with the deus and get all the rest.

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO you can't go wrong with Garrett...and it's only my opinion. Good machine, good customer service and good info online.

Lots of veterans on here with good advice. Read, learn and have fun!

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one of them I've used is the f2. My son has had one for a while its a really good machine for the price, easy to use and the 11 inch DD coil is a good option. He's 11 yo found a piece of 8 and a civil war S.C. button . Good luck

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just got my first detector too.
Although I don't have experience with others, I have to say I am happy with the Garrett Ace 350 which is what I got.
I watched an 8 video series on the use of the Ace 350 and I understand it, and feel this is good for the money.
Very easy to use. It is very sensitive, and I don't feel I need to spend a lot of money to have fun...this thing is beeping over everything! I like mine...and yes, you will get a few free things. I got a free Vulcan 360 pin pointer, and that sucker is SUPER sensitive! I couldn't be happier with my machine...

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the xp deus, at pro, compadre and ace 350. The ace 350 is collecting dust. For parks and playgrounds I use the compadre first and clean out the shallow stuff. Then go back over it with the deus and get all the rest.

Ok, thanks for your response.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just got my first detector too.
Although I don't have experience with others, I have to say I am happy with the Garrett Ace 350 which is what I got.
I watched an 8 video series on the use of the Ace 350 and I understand it, and feel this is good for the money.
Very easy to use. It is very sensitive, and I don't feel I need to spend a lot of money to have fun...this thing is beeping over everything! I like mine...and yes, you will get a few free things. I got a free Vulcan 360 pin pointer, and that sucker is SUPER sensitive! I couldn't be happier with my machine...

Ok, thanks, the 360 just might be the one I get. Thanks for your response.

OP
OP
J

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks richeysd for the response. I think i might just have to flip a coin. What is a piece of 8?

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello jefatk,
Welcome. First, there is no "best" 1st time detector, just a LOT of good options.

When I bought my first detector, I did some research on available features. Two features were a requirement for me:
1) Adjustable ground balance, either manual, auto, or both. This gives you the ability to operate in a variety of mineralization of ground, in your area. Some machines mentioned, have factory preset GB which may limit the machines abilities in changing ground conditions.

2) Good discrimination. The machines ability to discriminate unwanted metals, (iron for example), in very trashy areas. It can make your detecting experience more enjoyable when operating in areas with lots of ferrous objects. It is also good on the flipside of that, to have an all-metal mode for detecting cleaner areas, or relics, which will discriminate nothing. Some machines have a progressive type knob, others have a notch type, where certain areas of conductivity are notched out.

Also pay attention to the type of coil it comes with. Some have concentric, some have DD type. The DD coils work better in mineralized ground and have better coverage.

You can be in a room with ten detectorist's and ask, what the best first detector is, and get ten different answers.

A little research is always best, that way you can choose a machine that fits you. GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion any Garrett machine is a good buy. My first detector was an ace 250 and I loved this machine and it treated me well and found alot of cool stuff for me.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher F2. i bought it as my second detector. Its the simplest thing to use, it finds great targets in iron infested areas, and it just kicks butt with everything else!

gordygroover

Sep 2, 2011
To choose a detector and allowing yourself to be swayed by some of the "Free Stuff"that gets added in isn't how you really want to select a detector. You can easily get by with odds and ends as accessories when starting. Your found clad will enable you to buy each new toy as you go along.
I was a Ace 250 user when starting and now swing a AT Pro but Garrett hasn't yet made a detector worthy of buying just because it comes with a two dollar belt pouch.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of that list of three, I would get the F2. I, like many others, started with an Ace (250). But had the F2 been around, I would have chosen it. The main reason is the numeric ID. A nickel and a pull tab can show up in the same segment. It is the numeric ID that can give a better idea of if it is a 30-32 Nickel or a 32-35 Tab. They are all good, but the F2 would be harder to outgrow as you continue learning the hobby. One thought for a newbie is the Quick Draw Pro (Bounty Hunter). For the same price as the F2, it is deeper (comes with a 10" coil), has volume control and any coils you would buy for it can be used by the upgradable Land Ranger Pro and some early Fisher F5 models. Just a thought.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All three are strong contenders as entry level machines...

You kind of have an "upgraded entry level" machine mixed in there with the rest in the Ace 350. With the DD coil it has an advantage over the others. Of course, the F2 can be outfitted with the DD for about the same money as the Ace 350.... The Ace 250 would be more directly comparable to the others on the list.

But there is one you also need to consider as a strong contender to these 3 - Teknetics Eurotek Pro. Available with a concentric or DD coil, its super fast and also has adjustable iron audio that the others do not. Very light, and only uses one 9V battery. Priced in the same range as the other machines. Take a look at them - I think you will like it. :)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I second the Eurotek Pro ...i had one for awhile and loved it.
Lite,deep,stable ,fun to use .
Newer platform that the others.
Gary

Apr 2, 2014
Go with the ace 350 , I have that one as my first one and I loved it, forget about the free stuff, they're free for a reason, although appreciated, they are mostly junk. I now have an AT PRO, and still use the 350 from time to time

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends who is giving you that "free" stuff.... Some places only deal with good, quality accessories. :hello:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends who is giving you that "free" stuff.... Some places only deal with good, quality accessories. :hello:

I visit your site a lot (1 of 3 I buy from) You have the deal with the Fisher F2 where you get the 4" and 8" coils and pinpointer for $215. Actually, if you could throw in a pouch/belt and he bought an XPointer and a Lesche digger, he would be under $400 and all set to hunt. I bet you could get him the three coil F2 system with the extras right at $400.

My biggest draw back to the Ace is no numeric TID. And for a newbie, concentrics are so much easier to pinpoint with and ID with. But that's just "my" old timer opinion.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phantasman -

First of all, thank you for visiting our site and for being a customer! :)

And you are right - we would definitely be able to put together that package at a very competitive price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread