Legend of Mount Graham Treasure and Cochise Stronghold Treasure

Oct 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so I have a book that was printed in 1997 by Raymond H. Voss and it has a lot of the legends of lost mines and treasures in the state of Arizona. These two in particular keep catching my eye and I have even found a bit about them online. The first story goes...
Mount Graham's Lost Treasure: T.T Swift while working as a Forest Service Ranger in 1903, came across some old ax blazes on a number of pine trees in the Graham Mountains. Local research by Swift, indicated that there was a buried treasure dating back to the 1830's. The waybill gave 12 blazed trees as one marker. Swift did find the trees and also some granite rocks with crosses chiseled on them and several other markers. ( it does not say what these "other markers" were) He did not however find the treasure. The treasure was estimated to be $125,000 in gold bullion. Location of the granite rocks is on Snow Flat. Mount Graham is southwest of Safford.
And then the second story...
The Apache Chief Cochise is said to have hidden a chest ( or two ) in the Dragoon Mountains. The gold was taken from a Butterfield Stage raid and hidden somewhere in his hideout known as Cochise's Stronghold in Stronghold Canyon. (AKA Cochise's Gold)
In some of my research I have learned that there are ruins in Stronghold Canyon from a Butterfield Stage Station with four Confederate soldiers buried there. We are looking forward to hearing everyone else's take on these tales and to going and exploring them.

Upvote 4

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if I’m grandfather in the monument site I own a claim
unless it is a patented claim and the taxes have been paid throughout the years,and it was passed on to you, you would have no rights. If it was not patented the fees would have to be paid every year, or it goes back into the system, being that it is a monument site, it is most likely protected from any ground disturbance.

joshward

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2023
unless it is a patented claim and the taxes have been paid throughout the years,and it was passed on to you, you would have no rights. If it was not patented the fees would have to be paid every year, or it goes back into the system, being that it is a monument site, it is most likely protected from any ground disturbance.
My family has a gold mining claim within a mile of a national monument but we’ve owned it before it was national monument! Owned it since1972!!

Last edited:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic and happy hunting, the Spanish also passed through the Mt Graham area, so they may also left something behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread