Legend of Mount Graham Treasure and Cochise Stronghold Treasure - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Legend of Mount Graham Treasure and Cochise Stronghold Treasure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    MrWareWolf

Aug 2014
    N. Utah, USA
    Generic 30" keene/jobe/royal-style sluice with flare, riffles, expanded metal, moss matt under riffles.. California Bucket Sluice concentrator want: falcon pinpoint detector
    8 times
    Prospecting
    I've lived in Cochise county for a couple years now. It's an interesting place, with some unique demographics. So, on the other side of the base, is a national forest. If you're nice with the guys at the gate, they will give you a pass that permits you entrance to the forest, after driving through the base. I'm a novice prospector, and don't know the laws related to prospecting on/in a national forest. I know you cannot metal-detect, but what about a sluice, high-banker, etc? Can I gather buckets of classified material, and bring it home? Will I encounter trouble? Let me know what you guys think?

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWareWolf View Post
    I've lived in Cochise county for a couple years now. It's an interesting place, with some unique demographics. So, on the other side of the base, is a national forest. If you're nice with the guys at the gate, they will give you a pass that permits you entrance to the forest, after driving through the base. I'm a novice prospector, and don't know the laws related to prospecting on/in a national forest. I know you cannot metal-detect, but what about a sluice, high-banker, etc? Can I gather buckets of classified material, and bring it home? Will I encounter trouble? Let me know what you guys think?
    Why can't your detect there? Usually National Forests don't prohibit detecting unless there is a historic site involved.......and then it's usually just around that particular site. The rest of the area should be open. Now if it's a National Park, that's a different story. Those are out. You should be able to research that specific forest to find out what is allowed and what isn't. I would avoid asking those in charge if at all possible. You may get their opinion and not the law. If there's a hard and fast prohibition, it should be in writing somewhere in the rule book.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Apr 2015
    575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cochisecowboy1965 View Post
    Okay so I have a book that was printed in 1997 by Raymond H. Voss and it has a lot of the legends of lost mines and treasures in the state of Arizona. These two in particular keep catching my eye and I have even found a bit about them online. The first story goes...
    Mount Graham's Lost Treasure: T.T Swift while working as a Forest Service Ranger in 1903, came across some old ax blazes on a number of pine trees in the Graham Mountains. Local research by Swift, indicated that there was a buried treasure dating back to the 1830's. The waybill gave 12 blazed trees as one marker. Swift did find the trees and also some granite rocks with crosses chiseled on them and several other markers. ( it does not say what these "other markers" were) He did not however find the treasure. The treasure was estimated to be $125,000 in gold bullion. Location of the granite rocks is on Snow Flat. Mount Graham is southwest of Safford.
    And then the second story...
    The Apache Chief Cochise is said to have hidden a chest ( or two ) in the Dragoon Mountains. The gold was taken from a Butterfield Stage raid and hidden somewhere in his hideout known as Cochise's Stronghold in Stronghold Canyon. (AKA Cochise's Gold)
    In some of my research I have learned that there are ruins in Stronghold Canyon from a Butterfield Stage Station with four Confederate soldiers buried there. We are looking forward to hearing everyone else's take on these tales and to going and exploring them.
    No Butterfield Stage was attacked by Indians nor held up by outlaws.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30819 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great post I love stuff like this

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links