Feeler going out for possible tutor for newb on live hunt... Austin TX area

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if this will happen, but thought I'd put out a feeler.

My first MD is due in on Wednesday. I mentioned to the facility manager where I work that I was taking up a new hobby, and if she heard of anyone losing anything metal on the sports fields to let me know. Maybe I could try to find it for them.

She told me that they are ripping up the sod on one of the baseball fields and I should 'get out there' after the grass is removed but before the astroturf is installed.

Like I said, I don't know if this could happen, but with the holidays coming, and the work in progress, and my schedule for this week, I'm thinking I might be able to hit it Friday afternoon or evening. Given that's not too late. I don't know the work schedule for the turf installation yet. Also don't know how much they are removing.

So, IF I can make this happen, is there anyone interested in giving me a little tutoring in exchange for access to the field?

Private property, so no issues with Austin Parks or anyone like that.

Also would like any suggestions on how to work a baseball park. I'm thinking of pretty much running the bases to begin with, and then maybe sweep around the different outfield positions. I'm pretty sure the dugouts are going to be cemented. And, of course, the stands, concession areas, and any grass near the parking lot, but no rush on that, since there's no work planned there.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find out where they are taking the sod.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I was in your area ! Sounds like a dream hunt to me =) take off the top 3 or 4 inches and leave the oldies behind , one of my best hunts ever was at a park where they took off the top soil and were putting in a basketball park, the old place used to have "Medicine shows" and Carnivals .

OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No takers, huh? OK, I'll up the ante.

I just got (verbal) permission to search the property around a house built in 1900 located in Austin's Hyde Park district. Has to be in the next few days. I may try to hit it tomorrow afternoon.

Would like to have an experienced hunter join me.

ADDITED: Google just informed me that the district this house is in is included on the national historic directory. Guess I'd better steer clear.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread