Post up your MD vehicle storage and transport solutions

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Getting into MD'ing, and having read threads like the "you should always have a metal detector with you just like a spare tire..." thread, I'm curious to see how others have set up their vehicles for transporting and storing their gear.

Don't forget the pics. In forum parlance, "this post is worthless without pictures."

I drive a Ram 1500 crewcab, so extra points for storage / transport ideas for that platform :) I have a family of four, so trying to figure out how to always have my md on hand, but not on the seats.

Or does everyone just throw everything in the trunk or backseat? :) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most importantly keep it out of the eyesight of thieves!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I keep my detectors in a side compartment or the cupboard inside.
She just sets there all fuled up waiting for the next adventure.
22' long, 8' wide, 305 diesel HP, 4 wheel drive.
Frank five star.png
500MH.jpg

OP
OP
D

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankin, you suck. And I say that with all the jealousy I can muster. Wanna be my next best friend? "You buy it, I'll borrow it" is my favorite line...

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the trunk at all times. Most important is to keep it out of sight

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankin, you suck. And I say that with all the jealousy I can muster. Wanna be my next best friend? "You buy it, I'll borrow it" is my favorite line...

I know, but I earned it. I have been working since I was 12, Raised my 5 kids, Now it's my time!
Hay, nobody sits in that drivers seat but me. I can easily cover 600 Miles of interstate a day.
Now Blue occupies the passenger seat. I don't think you want to dispute that point with him! lol
Frank five star.png
Blue 1212.jpg Blue, Yep, he's a pitbull!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
600 miles a day?! How do you get any detecting done? I'm lucky to get 60! Just too many good looking places to detect. :laughing7:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a lot like me, Frankn (or I am a lot like you). I was working on the fishing wharves when I was a kid until I graduated to a job where I had to actually start paying taxes when I was 13. Been working ever since until last year. Time to play!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's all I worry about is keeping it out of sight of anyone. I keep mine in the bed of my beautiful Ford F150 4x4 with airconditioned seats for those hot days in the summer.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Honda Pilot

OBN0146.jpg Sunbird, Honda 50

OBN0343.jpg And a good ladder to get in when your old and retired

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
600 miles a day?! How do you get any detecting done? I'm lucky to get 60! Just too many good looking places to detect. :laughing7:

Well, I have done a lot of cache hunting and prospecting on the west coast and I live in MD. I just start off, Stop every 200 miles to walk Blue and stretch my legs, and stop at dark in a rest area or Wall Mart, or Loves, Flying J fuel stop. I usually fix my own breakfast and dinner at the night stops and hit fast food for lunch. The thing is once I hit my target location , I will probably detect for a week or two, Usually in the middle of no where. Yea, I stop at the good looking places too, like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Arches, etc. I don't miss much. Hay, it's my golden years and I don't like rockers. lol Frank five star.png
6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 035-1.jpg 6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 063-1.jpg 6 06-1 Yellowstone 054-1.jpg
6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 004-1.jpg
Red Rock Canyon Cal.jpg DEATH VALLEY SUNSET 04.jpg

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to own a Dodge 1500 quad cab with a six foot box. I had a canopy on the box. In the bed I had a false floor that came up to the level of the wheel wells. The boards were carpeted and about 18" wide. There was two supports - every 18". I could drop the gate down, or lift up a three foot section to get to my gear. Shovel's, axe, hydraulic jack, chain and other heavy items in one side. Then on the other side I would have my detector, pouch, pin pointer, and such. My sensitive gear was protected, and hidden, couldn't even see that it was a floor as the carpet was black and the canopy windows were tinted. Plus I could blow up a air mattress and sleep in the back! Water, food, blanket's and some tools- I could stay out there for a while! Actually was just traveling over a scenic pass and a moter-home axle had came loose, some tools and a come-along and it was fixed. Man was that couple happy I came along! Go prepared!
Sorry, no pics, sold it. Now I have a enclosed trailer that goes behind my truck or moter-home.

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my one minute pop up tent. Easy to take down and no yearly tax and registration. Rent a new car for a week and put on 2k miles and save fuel. Getting ready to go again soon. MD some swimming areas in Fl.
I do use and RV site with power to have Keurig coffee. Hide the unit as well as laptop. Then again homeoners insurance helps. The Tundra and boat can stay home.

Have fun with the camper.

Last edited:

goldenoldie

Dec 16, 2014
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE ,,,,,,,
Minelab sovereign xs2,,,,,12x10 SEF & 15 in WOT
Minelab Explorer 2. 12X8 Platypus
Evolution Scoop & spade ,Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some gorges scenery there Frankn ,thanks for posting .:thumbsup:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My little white Toyota Tacoma, (whitey), wasn't much of a MD vehicle, then I put the Kellyco Metal Detector Test Team sticker in the back window, and now, the clad flows like milk from a new mom.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I love my one minute pop up tent. Easy to take down and no yearly tax and registration. Rent a new car for a week and put on 2k miles and save fuel. Getting ready to go again soon. MD some swimming areas in Fl.
I do use and RV site with power to have Keurig coffee. Hide the unit as well as laptop. Then again homeoners insurance helps. The Tundra and boat can stay home.

Have fun with the camper.

Here's a tip, Get a small power inverter the same rating as your coffee maker and you can use the vehicle battery to make coffee. Primitive sites without power are usually cheaper. Yea I use to do a similar thing before the kids came. Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive a Honda Pilot when I go detecting and my detector and any necessary gear have plenty of room.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
2014-03-15 08.01.29.jpg IMAG0159-1.jpg From the beach to the deep desert my storage solution works great.

Attachments

• 20141106_172442_RichtoneHDR_1.jpg
    20141106_172442_RichtoneHDR_1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I keep my detectors in a side compartment or the cupboard inside.
She just sets there all fuled up waiting for the next adventure.
22' long, 8' wide, 305 diesel HP, 4 wheel drive.
Frank View attachment 1090035
View attachment 1090036

Heh your ike me... only I have a 30 foot e350 :)
The whole "loft" area is dedicated to MD.
Totallly gutted and redoing this winter
And.... I tow my custom dive boat..
the boat and rv rarely separate ... combined legth 59 feet. 8 feet wide ... even the boat.
People take pictures of my rig everywhere I go.
I pull in to gas up and people come outta the woodwork... with "man that is friggin cool, can I take a picture?"

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Black Beauty hauls my MD equipment in total comfort...

IMG_0522.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread