wood chips for training

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. I'm pretty new around here, but thought I'd share today's experience. I read around here somewhere that it's best to find totlots that have sand, not mulch. So I was disappointed to find my neighborhood park had wood chips. I spent about 45 minutes there anyway, and enjoyed it. It was a target-rich environment, returning 43 cents, and almost no digging. Mostly I just ran my pinpointer through the loose chips. Not going to get rich that way, but seems to me a good training environment. HH

Upvote 0

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great! Welcome to Tnet! There is so much information here to learn from. Absorb and have a great time MDing! I haven't done the wood chip areas, but when my arm gets tired from swinging and digging the plugs, I'm a sure bet with the pinpointer in the wood chips...or better yet...my feet kicking off the top layer!😋

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found wood chip tot lots to be a lot of fun and easy to hunt. Often find enough clad to make it worth my time.
luvsdux

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome :D. Tot lots where I live mostly have mulch bedding, very easy to dig through. It's good training and you never know when the next quarter or even jewelry item will come up. Happy hunting!

morris-code

Jan 18, 2014
VH, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest tot lot digging experience is shredded rubber tires. It holds little moisture and super easy to dig in. Pea gravel is the most difficult, while mulch is somewhere in between.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread