New to idea and need some help getting set up.

Sean57

Dec 22, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my name is Shaun and I am in Northern Indiana.

I am new to the Idea of metal detecting and ready to purchase a machine/setup yo get started(or at least get ready for spring hunting). I'm not sure what I need. I know I need a machine and some headphones(it may be that simple). The only Metal detectors I have looked at are from Minelab and seem to be decent. I know I live were two Rivers meet so it would be nice to have a waterproof model. I know some of you may say don't spend a lot of money in the beginning in case you don't stick with the hobby. I would rather spend the money now than find I want to upgrade three months into the summer. I also want to give the hobby a chance.I also fly radio controlled helicopters for another hobby, I have far too many times seeing hobbyist try to get into that hobby and leave because they were using subpar equipment. They easily become frustrated and discouraged and quit, that's not a fair shake. I would appreciate all ideas and thoughts on what I might need or want to research. I am open for all ideas, and willing to listen as I know nothing of these machines. I thank you all In advance.

-Shaun-

Upvote 0

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Minelab CTX-3030 is an excellent machine that could do both the river and land. Its expensive. Another good machine, than can do land and water is the Garrett AT Pro, not as good as the CTX-3030, but TreasureNet is full of stories and finds from people using this detector to pull stuff out all the time.

The other way to do it, would be two detectors, one for land and one for water. For water you could look at the Minelab Excalibur II, or a much cheaper Tesoro Sand Shark or Tiger Shark. Tesoro's have lifetime warranty which is nice.

OP
OP
S

Sean57

Dec 22, 2014
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your feedback, the 3030 is one I was eyeing, so is the Excalibur II. The 3030 is at the far end of my price point But I think I have already accepted that is where I'll probably be price wise or I'll be regretting or questioning later as to what I purchased, maybe not but at least I'm prepared to spend some cash if needed... The Excalibur worthless on land?
Reason I ask is $1000 different price tag and it said great for land or water... The 3030 looks like a great machine, I'm guessing I would not be disappointed.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We've all been there. If you don't care to spend some bucks, my choice is the AT Pro. It has the Ace 250 built into it (many learned on the Ace) and can move to the professional mode. It has an easy learning curve, is water proof and even the best of hunters use them. Garrett, unlike Minelab, is American made for American soils and if you need service, is easy to obtain. Make sure to get a good digger (Lesche), headphones and a pinpointer (Propointer also by Garrett).

Just my thoughts for your particular situation.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying an expensive detector won't make you a better detectorist. The reason you start with an inexpensive machine is the fact that they are easier to use. The Garrett Ace 250 is my choice. If you want to find a lot of recent coins, stick with the stock coil. If you want to look for older coins and relics, buy the large DD coil. If you really need a water proof detector, you can't go wrong with the Garrett AT Pro.

I see this all the time in my area. Some new guy shows up with a two grand detector, $125 pinpointer, $100 headphones, $50 Lesche digger, fanny pack for trash and so on. I detect with my $320 Ace 250 (larger coil) and blow the doors off of these guys. And I don't use headphones, don't use a pinpointer and wouldn't be caught dead with a fanny pack! My digging tool cost $8 and is tough as nails.

Start out with a detector you can use right out of the box. That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck!

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun, it sounds like you are an all or nothing guy with a solid income allowing you to buy the best first. It is going to take you longer to get good with the high end machines as they are more complicates with a much steeper learning curve. If you are good with that and can control frustration, I think you will have made a good choice. I hunted with a forum member the other week who got his CTX shortly after starting in the hobby and he has never had to change since. I have not held the CTX but it would be advisable if you could put one on and swing it to see how it feels.. they look rather large and heavy compared to my upper end entry level machine but may be very well balanced..
Good luck!

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy the best you can afford and learn the machine ! There is a reason these machines do cost more and it is because of what they can do over and above the lower end units. IMO you will have a long time machine that produces results !

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought three detectors in the first six months of hunting. I should have bought a CTX or Deus right out of the chute... but no one told me that. I went Bounty Hunter... AT Pro... Deus. The AT Pro was nice, but not wireless.

If you can afford a top of the line machine (CTX or Deus), then that is the way to go. Not everyone can afford to lay down a couple of grand for a new toy.

The Deus is not waterproof, but can be waterproofed, lightest detector on the market and wireless. Light and wireless can be really important, it's hard to see at first, but in the long run light and wireless make the machine a lot easier to use... more hunting = more finds = more fun.

You probably want a nice digger and a pouch. I use a Lesche digger and Garrett pouch. Standard MDing stuff.

FBT is correct, an expensive machine is not the key. The key is practicing with the machine. You HAVE to be able to interpret the information that machine generates, this requires practice, practice and more practice.

Good luck with your decision. If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I look forward to seeing you post some of your finds!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for your feedback, the 3030 is one I was eyeing, so is the Excalibur II. The 3030 is at the far end of my price point But I think I have already accepted that is where I'll probably be price wise or I'll be regretting or questioning later as to what I purchased, maybe not but at least I'm prepared to spend some cash if needed... The Excalibur worthless on land?
Reason I ask is $1000 different price tag and it said great for land or water... The 3030 looks like a great machine, I'm guessing I would not be disappointed.

Excalibur was designed for the wet and in the water. It does great there. Some would say its the best, its certainly one of the top ones out there. It does not have things like a display, gps, removable coil, etc........as its purpose built for water use. Yes you could use it on the sand. You would probably want to use a waist/hip harness if you were going to do that however, as the balance of the machine is quite different on the land vs. the water (where you are near weightless).

The CTX-3030 is mostly designed as a land machine. Once again, some would say its the best for the money. You could use it in the water, but not deep. And even in the shallows its likely not going to work as well as a Excalibur. Its not easy to mess with "buttons" and screens out in the water, its much better to use your ears, and rely on knobs. But you can use it in the water and wet. Just like an AT Pro, but its not purpose built for that.

So if your doing mostly land with a little bit in water, maybe the CTX. If your doing mostly water but like some land then maybe Excalibur. That's my advise.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A two grand detector will frustrate most new users. That's why it's important to buy a "lower end" detector first. You can always upgrade after you master your first detector. Nothing kills someone's interest in this hobby faster than struggling to operate the machine correctly.

Look at it this way. You wouldn't buy your 16 year old kid a brand new Porsche to learn how to drive, would you? You buy them a 1990's Toyota or Honda to learn the ropes. When they master driving that car, then you could upgrade to something a little sportier. Just my take on it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned all kinds of detectors from all types of manufacturers. Never cared for the Bounty Hunter line until Jorge and Yi took their Tek and Fisher compilations and incorporated them into the new Bounty Hunters. There is NO best machine. Just whats best for you and your hunting styles. I found my best. Many go through every detector trying to find theirs. Take what you hear from all, and narrow it down.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with those that say not to start with a top of the line detector. I started with an ace350 and it took me about a week to realize its limitations. It sounds like you might be using it in the water so I would definitely recommend going with a water machine from the start. I bought an Excalibur about a month after the 350 and haven't used the ace 350 since. It wasn't hard to learn to use and I use mine on land all the time. Never have understood why people say not to use it on land. You would want to put it on a straight shaft to balance it. I did that with mine and I can hunt all day. That was one of the main reasons I chose it over the cz21. The design of the controls make it easy to mount on a straight shaft and very ergonomic. Also, I like to tinker with and modify pretty much everything I own and there is plenty you can do with the Excalibur as well as a ton of instruction on how to do it. If you're not going to be hunting where there is a lot of wave action and you can afford it, I would get the CTX. Big boys hobbies and others have used ones for sale all the time and often with a lot of warranty left. If I didn't want to put that much money into it and wasn't going to be hunting saltwater my choice would have been an AT Pro. If I didn't get a top of the line detector I would always be wondering if I was doing my best. One other thing to keep in mind - if you decide you don't like it, it's not hard to recoup most of your money. Good luck with your decision.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree with those that say not to start with a top of the line detector. I started with an ace350 and it took me about a week to realize its limitations. It sounds like you might be using it in the water so I would definitely recommend going with a water machine from the start. I bought an Excalibur about a month after the 350 and haven't used the ace 350 since. It wasn't hard to learn to use and I use mine on land all the time. Never have understood why people say not to use it on land. You would want to put it on a straight shaft to balance it. I did that with mine and I can hunt all day. That was one of the main reasons I chose it over the cz21. The design of the controls make it easy to mount on a straight shaft and very ergonomic. Also, I like to tinker with and modify pretty much everything I own and there is plenty you can do with the Excalibur as well as a ton of instruction on how to do it. If you're not going to be hunting where there is a lot of wave action and you can afford it, I would get the CTX. Big boys hobbies and others have used ones for sale all the time and often with a lot of warranty left. If I didn't want to put that much money into it and wasn't going to be hunting saltwater my choice would have been an AT Pro. If I didn't get a top of the line detector I would always be wondering if I was doing my best. One other thing to keep in mind - if you decide you don't like it, it's not hard to recoup most of your money. Good luck with your decision.

Not all people take to this "hobby". Some think if they pay a lot of money, it is easier to find a fortune in treasures. That's not how it works. I know people with 20 year old Garretts that find better than I do. It's because they have an "affair" with their detector. Treasure hunting is part machine, part man. If man expects machine to do it all, he will be disappointed and move on.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but it doesn't take a two grand machine to find the good stuff. I've found dozens of coins, buttons and relics from the 1700's with my Ace 250. As an example, the colonial shoe buckle I use as my avatar was 10 inches down and my Ace 250 found it with no trouble at all.

Tossing two grand to enter a new hobby is ridiculous. But feel free to buy that 2k detector, the $50 digger, the $125 pinpointer and so on. Just don't be surprised when you learn that it takes more than a wad of cash to find the good stuff. Location, skill, determination and soil conditions will determine whether or not you find something good.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a entry level detector and feel it was time wasted.

agreed. you dont read about many people upgrading and then saying oh that was a bad idea. think ill go back to my entry level detector.

not knocking the entry level detectors. they certainly find metal and if they serve your purpose then thats a personal choice. kind of like golf clubs. some people are fine hitting golf balls with entry level clubs. some people want to know theyre using the best they can use. when i started i knew i was serious about it. the first time i took my ace350 on the wet sand and it started having seizures i knew i would need to get a serious detector. now i feel there are no limitations anywhere i choose to detect. and i feel im always giving myself the best chance i can while im spending my valuable time out there.

Last edited:

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the same boat as you Sean57. I am new to the hobby. Hell, I am using a old Daytona MD from the early 80's right now. The Garrett ACE 250 listed in my gear is my soon to be Christmas present to myself. I am back and forth on deciding to be honest though. I almost bought a White's Coinmaster yesterday but did some research and didn't know if I would be totally happy with it. I know I will be doing some beach trips this summer so the Garrett AT Pro is on the top of my list.
Either way, if price is not the thing, get what will suit you.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live having a machine you can ground balance makes for a much better hunt. I had a lower end machine and found areas you literally could not hunt. Went back to the same places with a better machine and was amazed at the difference.

Spend the money up front and learn the one higher end machine if it is affordable. You can take all your time perfecting the better machine. You can be highly successful with entry level or more advanced, But It gets frustrating when you hear everyone tell you "you have to start out on a entry machine to start, to learn how to do it" Maybe if you are 7 or a SUPER slow learner. But frankly there is a huge portion of the population who will have no issue jumping head first into the higher end machines, Heck most of them have great stock programs that have you finding awesome stuff 10 minutes into your first hunt. Once you master the stock settings start playing settings to achieve greater depth and discrimination ability.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you are 7 or a SUPER slow learner. But frankly there is a huge portion of the population who will have no issue jumping head first into the higher end machines, Heck most of them have great stock programs that have you finding awesome stuff 10 minutes into your first hunt. Once you master the stock settings start playing settings to achieve greater depth and discrimination ability.

I've seen Bill Ladd and others have a tough time mastering the XP Deus and other machines, so I guess all those long time detectorists are SUPER slow learners, correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread