Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me sometimes I think that I get stuck in a rut learning my detector, so I think the grass is greener with another detector. I have found that if I am stuck it is because I am not fully exploring the potential of the machine and what it is trying to tell me. I think that after a certain point it's not about the detector, it's about my choice of sites and learning about my detector. When I first started I was digging a lot more signals than I am now (and finding a lot more). I have gotten lazy and gravitated to digging the safe shallow targets. My goal for 2015 is to dig more iffy targets and deeper targets. To also do more research so the odds of finding something good will increase.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so I ve been giving this some thought since I am kinda in the same boat. wanting a new detector or needing one. since part of this hobby relies on technology I would assume that the detectors of today should perform better then the ones 10 yrs ago, but half the battle is understanding the unit that you use, and having a place to use it. I want a new detector but I don't make the time to use the one have now, so getting a brand new one would not benefit me if it sits in a closet all week. like most hobbies start up cost can be expensive . golf cost a lot to get clubs then you still have to pay to play, I got into paintball a while back, spent a ton of money getting equipment and safety gear, then still had to pay over 100 bucks to play for two of us. now most of my stuff is on eBay cause it was just going to waste. so im selling it to get back into detecting. I also came to realize that im getting to old to play impact sports..so time to slow it down a bit. so for me the issue is making better use of the stuff and understanding what it is telling me. then upgrading when I can. there's a lot I can do with my prizm if I used it more. someday ill upgrade to something better/newer and go back to all the places I've been to see if/what I may have missed. but getting out is the key.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll bet all or nearly all of the forum members would do just fine with more time in the field using the detectors they already have, myself included. Happy digging.
luvsdux

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also instead of a new machine, maybe a new coil would be better. My F5 has the 11" DD coil. I am thinking about a 5" sniper for real trashy areas and a 9" Nel Hunter for better separation and depth. So it would be like getting 2 new detectors that speak the language I already know.

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Andy has a book on your machines, I would suggest you buy it.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of noise is the detector making?? Could be a number of things going on. First rule out the obvious: make sure there are no underground pet fences in the immediate area. Remove your coil cover and clean. Batteries good? Discrimination turned down too low?? The xlt is a great detector. Once you've ruled out the obvious, throw some random coins on an area where there's no metal buried. See if you get a good strong signal with sharp edges.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll bet all or nearly all of the forum members would do just fine with more time in the field using the detectors they already have, myself included. Happy digging.
luvsdux

I would agree. I had my F5 in the closet for a season. Wife said do something with it or sell it. So I started "getting into it" again. After awhile, it became my favorite detector. Sold the others.

What is the best detector? The one we each love to hunt with.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
I took the mxt out to the desert today.it worked a lot better with your setting.then it went crazy.after cussing a lot I found that my head set cord was moving the dials and it moved the switch for coins to relics.i ran the cord behind my back to the other side.now it works and I know where to start.thanks for the help
1637 the secret is to ground balance the MXT properly and the noise will go away. if hunting in coin mode put grn bal switch in ground and then grn bal it . then put it in lock ,set disc on nickels or above or below where ever u want it, then turn the sensitivity knob all the way up and the threshold knob all the way down. use it like that a few times and it should run a little quiet. the whole SECRET to that detector is grn bal it properly I ground bal mine over some hot rocks or coal klinkers and adjust it as I said, the hotter the ground you balance it over the better the detector will see thru iron and find coins in the nails I promise. I have some black sand out of an Arizona silver mine and its so hot that the detector overloads so I hold the head up just so it doesn't overload (in ground)and then throw the grn bal in lock leave it in lock and set the rest where u want and it, it will see thru the nails and iron and see the coins like the nails aren't even their, but if u don't get the grn bal right this WON"T work

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
the xlt is fine,more of the problem with the mxt was my headset cord moving the dials and moves the switch from coins to relices,thank for the help.
What kind of noise is the detector making?? Could be a number of things going on. First rule out the obvious: make sure there are no underground pet fences in the immediate area. Remove your coil cover and clean. Batteries good? Discrimination turned down too low?? The xlt is a great detector. Once you've ruled out the obvious, throw some random coins on an area where there's no metal buried. See if you get a good strong signal with sharp edges.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
ps no finds today
last out found a 1919 dime
some days its hard for me to find my truck

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the XLT for many years and it is an awesome detector. Over the years I purchased all of the OEM coils for the XLT and the 4X6 shooter and 9.5 are my favorites. The 4X6 is a killer in trashy areas. I would never part with my XLT, however I now use the VX3.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello 1637,

You have some nice machines in your arsenal. Perhaps take some time (100 hours or so) to try to learn the new machine. Read the manual multiple times and watch YouTube videos on using the machine in the field.

Good Luck in 2015!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions