Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone seems to have there own ways of doing it. I have noticed that just water gets them clean enough to pass thru the coin machines. It usually only takes me 2 1/2 hrs or so. I used to use cleaners and gravel, etc. but the water does the same thing

good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquarium gravel works fine with a handful if sand, water. Some use a drop of dish soap. I have also used corn husks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally run them for 1 hour with 1 cap of mister clean. Dish soap can collect on the tumbler tub and make it feel sticky due to not being easily rinsed with cold water. I used a screen with 1/4 inch openings and sifted some gravel from the driveway to get smaller stones to use in the tumbler. I am too cheap for my own good :-).

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some guys just toss in the coins with the soap of their choice and the coins come out looking good. I use just a few drops of dish soap and aquarium gravel. A couple hours later they come out looking pretty good. There are always a few clad coins that are so badly stained/tarnished that no amount of tumbling will make them look good, but they are clean enough to go through any counter/vending machine.

A little tip on the Harbor Freight tumbler (which is what I use). Place it in a good sized dishpan or tray when using it. A couple times the lid has worked itself loose on mine while its running leaking the soapy water everywhere. A dishpan makes cleaning up much easier if that happens. I usually tumble mine in my kitchen where I don't want anything to spill. Also, I would add a few drops of oil to the rollers, mine seemed pretty stiff when it was brand new.

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too use the harbor freight double tumbler set up. The absolute best hing iI have found to clean clad coins is dish soap hot water, couple table spoons baking soda for some grit, and believe it or not half of an already squeezed lemon or lime; rind, pulp, and all. Mixture should should be "soupy not watery" and it should slightly cover the level of your coins. Try it you will be amazed. however stinking' Zincolns will actually deteriorate in tumbler over time

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just did a batch the other day.. coin, gravel and get this, a 1/2 teaspoon of ALL detergent.. guess what, it is made to Not foam and it really did a great job!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tumbler formula is aquarium gravel, powered laundry soap, and vinegar. I start out with a soak and shake to reduce the gas produced. Burp the top as necessary to relieve the pressure or you will have one heck of a mess! Then tumble for 2-3 hours. I then sift it through my sand scoop and into a pan of water to separate the gravel from the coins. Zincs from the beach get tapped with a hammer first to remove most of the heavy crust. Just don't hit them too hard as they a made of "manurium" (0ver 95% pure sh**) and will crumble to dust if you get carried away. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread