Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new AT Pro should be on it's way

I just bought my new AT Pro early this morning so I am thinking this next week is going to be a long one. I looked at used ones on eBay but felt I was better off buying myself a new one with the warranty. It is always nice to have new things :) and the price for the used ones was not all that great at around $500. I bought the Adventure Sport Pack that comes with the AT Pro with the stock coil, a 5x8 DD coil, two coil covers, the Garrett camo finds pouch and a 50th anniversary hat for just under $680 shipped. I didn't need a digger or pinpointer so this worked out great for me. I am hoping this will be a solid detector for me for many years to come. I will let you know how it looks when it gets here. I wish someone would have told me how addicting this hobby was before I bought that used detector in the fall. Have a safe New Year and Happy Hunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the replies and advice. Before I had the machine here I thought I would just jump right into PRO mode, but after getting my hands on it I might have to do like cudamark suggested. I will just be in the back yard until I have a better handle on what it is telling me. I went back out yesterday for about five minutes and there are multible coin targets at 8 inches and deeper. It should be 30 degrees on Sunday so I will be digging. While the ground is still frozen I will just be cherry picking coin targets. Thanks again...and I will post some pictures of what I find and just how deep it was.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The recovery speed in pro mode is way better than std mode. In a circumstance where a good target is near an undesirable target std mode may miss it.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro mode will also help you hear the depth of the target along with seeing it, over standard which will be a solid bell tone if its 2 inches down or 10 inches down. You can also pick up deep targets in pro by hearing the faint signal when in standard it would be jumpy at best. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to try both modes in the back yard to see if I am able to use Pro without missing much. This weather is KILLING me! I worked almost 80 hours this past week and I all I can think of is this darn MD. I even went out in the yard when I got home this morning and tried to dig up a eight inch deep target I had marked. Not the best idea but I was hoping it would help with my MD fix. Well it didn't go so well...at -5 degrees this morning the ground might as well be concrete. I came to my senses and quickly looked around to see if the neighbors were watching the crazy guy digging holes (or trying to) in his back yard. Well I guess it is time to watch some more youtube and do a little more reading. COME ON SPRING hole.JPG

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start off using standard mode...you have plenty of time to switch to pro mode...pro mode can be overwhelming in trashy areas...pro mode is easy IF your are experienced with a detector...pro mode is a much better than standard mode and you can switch to it when you become comfortable with the machine...standard mode will find stuff and isn't nearly as noisy as pro mode in a trashy area...people say standard mode is useless on the AT pro and it is if you are an experienced detectorist.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the stuff isn't going anywhere. Try the standard mode and then try the pro mode, It's always best to know how the various settings will effect performance on a given detector under various conditions.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats you will love it!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. Have fun.

t has been a long time since I've had an AT Pro. If I remember correctly, I liked the Pro Mode because you can hear the sounds which are deeper and target those (or is this Pro-zero?). I didn't learn to rely on the depth meter, but detected by sounds and it made me a better detectorist.

My advice: Eventually get the 5 x 8 coil and go back over your old spots with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After doing some more reading I put my 5 x 8 coil on the detector and I can't believe how small it looks. How much depth do you lose using this coil compared to the stock coil ? My back yard is trashy so I figured this would be the better of the two coils but after seeing it I started to wonder what kind of depth I would be sacrificing. This weekend may have a couple warmer days (30s) so I am hoping to be able to get out and try it out. Thanks for the help.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have not done any depth tests with the 2 coils but it sure is nice to swing with that little coil on there..

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 will hit dimes at 8inches.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The big coil only gives an inch or so more depth Pinball. Unless you have a lot of real deep targets in the area or need to cover a lot of clean ground you will be fine with the 5x8.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 is the only one I use. The target separation and precise pinpointing more than make up for the potential depth trade-off.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I was able to get out and dig in part of the yard today for the first time this year with my new AT Pro and had a blast. I was only out for about three hours because half of the yard is still frozen. I was using Pro zero mode with the discrimination set a 40 to help quiet the machine down. I found a bunch of trash items and some cool ones as well. The best being a very worn Standing Liberty quarter! I also found a 1920 wheat penny a clad quarter and two regular pennies. The nice thing is I only hunted where I had already hunted with my old Bounty Hunter...so there is lots still out there. I am going to stay in my yard until I have a much better understanding of what this machine is telling me...and boy it has a lot to say. I have a feeling the learning curve for this machine is longer then I had thought. I had another pocket full of trash that I didn't take a picture of...dig everything gave me a sore palm...but I am sure it will pay off. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• slq.JPG
    slq.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 92
  • junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 94

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin. I got my new ATP in feb and still can't do anything but look at it. Close to a foot of snow still on the ground and what isn't snow covered, is still frozen. :BangHead: I guess i still have something to look forward to.

stevehard8

Mar 17, 2015
WestChester PA
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in the same boat got my At pro 3 days ago and damn if it didnt start effin snowing here in southeast Pa come on thaw!! Cant wait to start dirtfishin

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my septic tank with mr AT Pro stock coil and verified it with the sketch from county health dept records lol. So I think it's awesome. Tank is a large target more than a foot down though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread