Keeping Track

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I decided that for 2015 I would keep track of how much clad I find
and how much time I actually spend detecting. When I first started detecting several years ago I would just spend what I found without keeping track. About two years ago I started putting it in coffee cans. I don't have a clue how much time I spend in a year detecting. I was always amazed that some people can tell you how many hours they have on a machine. I do think a nice feature for a detector would be the ability to display the hours it has been on. Like an odometer on cars. That way you would know how much time you have on your unit.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be an awesome feature..I couldn't tell you the hours I've detected. But I do keep track of all my clad and my silvers I put in holders with a date and location..I got time..lol

but it is nice to see that big total at the end of the year..I'm currently around 460ish in clad

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't track time but I do track clad and find for each year. Every time I get back from a hunt I put my finds and trash on a piece of cardboard and take a picture.

A couple of examples: (park on left, street tear-out on right)

2014-09-02 20.35.33.jpg 2014-08-15 21.31.21.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea its easier to track finds than time IMO....I also would like to know how much I spent on my hobby, no...wait...no, I don't want to know.

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X1 Probe, 11" DD coil, & 10x5" SEF coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea!! I think I will do that for 2015. I will make it like a log book with when and where I went, how long spent, and total rewards, lol. Make a nice read at the end of the year, thanks!

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
That would be an awesome feature..I couldn't tell you the hours I've detected. But I do keep track of all my clad and my silvers I put in holders with a date and location..I got time..lol

but it is nice to see that big total at the end of the year..I'm currently around 460ish in clad

I have about 190 in quarters. Haven't counted the rest.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

I agree with that. So if any manufactures out there are listening .... Until then a nice phone app to handle this would be nice. Can monitor the number of hours spent at beach, parks and different categories. Hit a button and see the breakdown for a week, month or year.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping track of time spent on a hobby can be depressing. I do it for fun but count my totals just to see if I can buy that new toy. Years ago I kept logs, but that took away nap time.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
well i have been doing this for 40 some years ..And the one thing i never did or will do is keep track of fines or time …I had to do that when i worked and this is not work.. but keeping books is work for me …..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my dead batteries and use them to estimate the amount of time I spent detecting. I have found $510.05 since late May. Looking at the used batteries, I have spent a little over 400 hours swinging the coil. Just a little over a Buck an hour, I will never become materially rich, but I am more than happy. I treasure the alone time, outside, listening to the ground. I think I am addicted to getting the surge every time I swing over target and it rings in as a coin. My $ avg per hour has decreased since I have been going searching fields more and more,, I have averaged as much as $5-6$ per hour at some virgin locations.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keppy on this one. I started over 44 years ago and used to keep a log on finds, locations, dates, etc. until I accidentally lost all that info. I find it too much trouble now. i'd rather be detecting than logging what I found last time out. The significant finds I'll always remember. Who cares if I found a 57D wheatie at a certain park 30 years ago? I don't want to make a job out of it.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I agree with Keppy on this one. I started over 44 years ago and used to keep a log on finds, locations, dates, etc. until I accidentally lost all that info. I find it too much trouble now. i'd rather be detecting than logging what I found last time out. The significant finds I'll always remember. Who cares if I found a 57D wheatie at a certain park 30 years ago? I don't want to make a job out of it.

I agree with that. Just want to keep track of the amount of clad I find in a year and I am curious to know actually how much time I spend detecting. Went to the beach yesterday for a couple of hours. Found $2.20 in change. Went right into 2015 can. Found several nickels which is always encourging. Stopped detecting as soon as I heard hundreds of people screaming at the same time. They all just went into the cold, cold ocean for their new years day swim. They were having a blast

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the odometer idea. Would come in handy when buying a used machine. Instead of the standard "only used a couple of times" that everyone puts in their ads. You would actually know how long the machine was actually used.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping track of time spent on a hobby can be depressing. I do it for fun but count my totals just to see if I can buy that new toy. Years ago I kept logs, but that took away nap time.

i couldnt agree more, i recently figured out how much money i spent on video games on FB...it made me sick, i could have bought a nice mid level detector and actually had something ot show for it..

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will just be keeping a loose track on my hours. After yesterdays haul of trash I will be filling 5 gallons buckets to scrap when the time comes too. Oh and I don't know where to classify the Craftsman tool belt, loaded with tools. I found it detecting in the woods, under a pile of leaves. Some tools are roached with rust in one pocket but the other pocket they are like new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread