Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanx escape. That link worked.

I was cracking up reading that! I mean, seriously, if a guy finds a choice seated coin, worth $300, is he supposed to "report" it ? Will he? Would you ? And what does the city do with this information, even if everybody 'fessed up with their coins that were (gasp) worth over face value ? I suppose that would just be fuel-to-the-fire to ban it even in those few parks, "lest those md'rs get rich harming our cultural heritage" ?

And have you ever noticed how when the subject of "permits" comes up, that md'rs eyes wax romantic? They think it's a marvelous idea. Because they have images of being able to detect nilly-willy unbothered, etc.... But as this article shows, permits are never so rosy. They are always invariably packed with silly things like "only on sandy beaches" or "report [or turn in] all valuable items", or "not with 25 ft. of any tree", or "digger tool shall not exceed 3" in length, blah blah blah. So "permits" are never a good idea. They tend to restrict. Not "permit".

Therefore you and I are MUCH better off if there is simply silence on the issue. Not specifically prohibited, yet no specific "allowance". Simply silent on the subject.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those comments about NYC are old and worn out. Its actually the safest big city in the USA.

The 2014 new year got off to a deadly start for New York City and the de Blasio administration as the number of homicides from Jan. 1 through Jan. 5 -- eight -- doubled over the first five days of 2013, according to the NYPD.

The homicide numbers are being closely watched by some crime experts as a barometer of the safety of New York in light of the record low of 334 killings last year.

That's a terrible record low IMHO - OUCH!!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure in NYC? Lets see; any walk in pizza place, Nathan's, Katz's Deli, Carnegie Deli cannoli, upscale places I can't afford anymore, and oh yeah, beaches to detect on. short drive to places to detect outside of the city, the list goes on...

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Tom in ca ... Permits are stupid and accomplish nothing. In NYC you even need permit to paddle a kayak! Which they charge you for. So far the MD permits are free. Let's see how long that last. People are being fined for detecting without a permit.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Gary said aka "G.A.P metal" now that was funny!!!!

If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at.

Engine

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As an NYC permit holder, don't EVER believe everything you read. Less than 1-percent of finds are ever reported. Lots and lots of 1800s silver come out of NYC parks and woods - boatloads.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Terry , well you just did yourself in! I'm assuming you're including yourself in that subset of people who have found old silver in those parks, yet failed to report. Right ? If so , then be aware that New York city officials monitor this forum ! You're in a big heap of trouble now dude . Tsk Tsk .

As for me ? I never find anything valuable. ;)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me neither.....unless I get full immunity.....in writing! :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry , well you just did yourself in! I'm assuming you're including yourself in that subset of people who have found old silver in those parks, yet failed to report. Right ? If so , then be aware that New York city officials monitor this forum ! You're in a big heap of trouble now dude . Tsk Tsk .

As for me ? I never find anything valuable. ;)

... :skullflag: ... :treasurechest:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
As an NYC permit holder, don't EVER believe everything you read. Less than 1-percent of finds are ever reported. Lots and lots of 1800s silver come out of NYC parks and woods - boatloads.
Terry , Is right if i had a permit to hunt in NYC and found some really good things …. Would i tell them NO NO i would not i would just tell them of all the crap i found if i even told them that … So that write up you posted means there are a lot of smart people detecting in NYC…They do not tell….

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Well for not finding anything they sure spend a lot of time out there swiMing detectors. I'm waiting for them to come out with a permit just to use the parks. You would first have to agree to not litter, climb trees, damage parks property, sleep in park, dig holes, step on the grass and on and on.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Someone always wants to legislate what you can and can't do. In the past people were guided by common sense. Its almost like its being taken away from us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread