pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No put it in your pocket and go home. Finders keepers.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the city wanted them they could be out looking for them too...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HELL TO THE NO. Give me a good Reason WHY you should turn it in, or list it for next years permit..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Only give them to the city or tell them you found them if you are a little crazy...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Darth-walker, yours is a good question. And I see that rather than anyone answering the technical aspect of it, they are instead bristling at the thought of reporting anything, in the first place ! Ie.: if it's the "honor system", well, gee, then who's to say you didn't only find clad?"

To answer your question, even if you reported the bust half, and even if the policy was only for recording purposes, and they let you keep all your finds, ............ well that still gives me pause for concern. Here's why:

Let's say that everyone dutifully reported all their good old coin finds, all these last 10 or 20 yrs. there in NYC. And let's say that someone from the city compiled a tally, and determined the amount of $$ that was being spirited away by these arm-chair yahoos, from "city land" ? If info. like that got on the desk of an archie (who sees your bust half on the list, and all the others...), then ...... what do you think he's going to do? He'll make a fuss.

Hence sometimes its better that the public's perception of md'ing is that we md'rs just ply for recent change, match-box cars, etc...... There's no shortage of places where no one cares if you find clad. But "heaven help you" if you actually found something valuable.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The City of New York or the State of New York?

I don't report nuttin to nobody. But if I had agreed to some city or state park(?) to report my finds I guess I would be obligated to do that.

"Found, one dollar in change".

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Metal Detecting Permit will turn into a license with a 25$ or 30$ fee attached...

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
He is talking about NYC permits,when you turn in last years permit to get a new one,on the back you are supposed to list finds worth over $20 value.You just write NONE and send it in.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Im pretty sure that bust u found was your great great grandfathers. Ah family memorabilia.

sent from a sending device.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He is talking about NYC permits,when you turn in last years permit to get a new one,on the back you are supposed to list finds worth over $20 value.You just write NONE and send it in.

No problem. Seated Liberty Dollar - $1 value established by U.S. Mint (that's what a bank will give you).

$4 gold Stella

$10 gold eagle

$5 gold half-eagle

Total: $20 - not necessary to report.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No problem. Seated Liberty Dollar - $1 value established by U.S. Mint (that's what a bank will give you).

$4 gold Stella

$10 gold eagle

$5 gold half-eagle

Total: $20 - not necessary to report.

ha, you sneaky feller you Charlie!

I had this sort of conversation with a lawyer, in regards to each State's Lost & found laws. Like in CA, for instance, if you find something worth over $100, you are required to turn it in to your local police dept for proper lost & found procedures. So I was asking the lawyer how value is determined. Ie.: does a person go by value when new? Or intrinsic melt value? Or face value (as in the case of coins like yours), etc... Because, think of it: Otherwise someone can find a brand new I-phone 6+ on a park bench (worth HUNDREDS of dollars, even used) and say to themselves: "gee, it only has a dollar of silicone, copper, plastic, etc... in it". The lawyer heed & hawed and finally came up with this answer: "You turn it in to the police, and let THEM decide on how it is valued".

Ok then, now that you have the legal answer, please go do the right thing, and turn in those gold coins. We'll all be proud of you. :occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No real worries here . The next gold coin I find will be the first - and I only live 180 miles (and 60 light years) from New York City so they would HEAR THE SHOUTING FOR JOY if I did find one.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason for the Lost & Found rule is so they can find the proper owner .

Tom_in_CA; if you find something worth over $100,
you are required to turn it in to your local police dept for proper lost & found procedures.

however, in my mind, If I find something lost 100, 50, even 25 years ago,
What are the odds the person who lost it is in records they can trace ?
and especially in the case of something 100 years old ?.
that in itself guarantees unless it was on a baby who is now one of the oldest living persons in the world,
with an eidetic memory since birth & checks in the lost & found daily,
there is no proper owner other then the finder imo.

If you find a jar of coins, and the police put it in the paper ,
can you guess how many will try to claim it ?
even insurance companies will probably get in the act of checking old robberies
to hopefully snag it.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
It looks like the lawyer dodged this one. If I understand the law correctly I think it says that you have to turn in anything over 20 dollar value. It does not say you have to get an opinion from the police as to what the value is. I think it would be best for someone to use their own judgement.

Kemper, each state has a different dollar value criteria. In CA, the cut-off is $100 or more value. Perhaps another state is as low as $20? I dunno. If so, then no doubt those were penciled in way back and the turn-of-century, when $20 really meant something! (born out of wandering cattle laws, etc...)

As for how to determine value, the law is silent on that. Thus, heck, I bet there's some cheesy pawn shops that might only offer a guy $90 for a $2000 ring, eh? So does that mean the ring is worth $90 ? doh!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... however, in my mind, If I find something lost 100, 50, even 25 years ago,
What are the odds the person who lost it is in records they can trace ? .....

Jeff-in-PA, what you are saying is logically true, but it is not legally true. Sorry about that buttercup :) The law makes no distinction on when YOU *think* something was lost. It simply sets a dollar value cutoff. And even though you found the target a certain # of inches deep, and so therefore, in your mind, it "must have been lost 100 yrs. ago", yet how do you know a gopher hole didn't put it that deep? Afterall, let's be honest: We've all had occasions where a clad dime is 10" deep, while a merc is practically right on top. Flukes *do* occur.

Hence since you are a law-abiding citizen, and in full-compliance with the code-of-ethics, we trust that you will start doing the right thing now, and turning in all your valuables for proper lost & found police efforts. Atteboy :)

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tennessee has no such law. It does, however, enforce ARPA (Archaeological Resources Protection Act), and if a detectorist finds archeological or historic artifacts, he/she is required to contact the state.(most don't) TVA quit issuing land permits for detecting, (comprising of many lakes and rivers in Tn) a few years ago. I can hunt all the coins/jewelry I want in my county. Our area is run by conservatives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions