My First Year With The Garrett ATX

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had the Garrett ATX now since the fall of 2013 and so have had a solid year with the detector. It really does take about a year for me to settle down my thoughts about a detector. I tend to be all giddy with the new toy at first, having fun, and discovering new things. The strong points and weak points are revealed with use over time, and now I think I can offer up a fair summary of the detector.

The ATX is a bit difficult in that Garrett started with the premise of using an existing housing designed to military specifications, and then decided to put a detector in it for consumer retail sales. On one hand this is really great as we get this very unique detector design that would never have been developed just for consumer sales. On the other hand it means for some uses the ATX is just not a very good fit. For other uses it works pretty well.

It just so happens I am an avid prospector and an avid beach hunter. I do not beach hunt as much as I like but when I do it I really go after it. Because of this the ATX hits a particular sweet spot for me personally. I really do need a good pulse induction metal detector that can be submerged in saltwater. I would keep the ATX for that purpose alone. I am very happy with its performance as a beach detector especially on beaches where there is black sand mineralization or volcanic rock to deal with. The fact it also does very well as a prospecting PI is almost a bonus for me.

From a straight up prospecting perspective Garrett also scores though nobody needs a seven pound detector waterproof to 10 feet while desert prospecting. However, if all I had was a couple thousand dollars to invest in a brand new, full warranty PI for gold prospecting it would be a Garrett ATX. I believe the ATX is superior to the White's alternatives in overall performance and it is far less money than a new Minelab PI detector. I will not speak for the Australians but in the U.S. the ATX holds its own for PI performance and I feel quite comfortable using it gold prospecting. I could wish for a lighter package but the fact is it works and a person who puts in the effort should do just fine with the ATX. I know I can.

The ATX does well for relic hunting applications and I have even found I can cherry pick coins halfway well with it. I have always been partial to pulse induction detectors and Garrett has won me over with the ATX. I enjoy using the detector and I can make good finds with it, and that is all I can ask of any detector.

In retrospect I have actually done remarkably well with the ATX since I got it, considering it is only one of several detectors I have been using and not the one with the most hours on it. I have found about 3 ounces of gold and platinum jewelry with the Garrett ATX plus about two ounces of gold nuggets with it. I have found gold nuggets in Alaska, Arizona, California, and Nevada with the ATX under sunny skies and in pouring rain. My ATX has spent a couple weeks of days underwater in rough surf and is none the worse for wear.

I like the ATX so much I just treated myself to a brand new Garrett ATX Deepseeker package so I now have the full complement of ATX coils and accessories. I am weeding my detector collection down to the bare minimum I can get by with and the Garrett ATX is a survivor in more ways than one. Many thanks and a hat's off to Garrett for producing my all time favorite Garrett detector.

Attachments

• steve-herschbach-garrett-atx-year-one-2014.jpg
    steve-herschbach-garrett-atx-year-one-2014.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had the Garrett ATX now since the fall of 2013 and so have had a solid year with the detector. It really does take about a year for me to settle down my thoughts about a detector. I tend to be all giddy with the new toy at first, having fun, and discovering new things. The strong points and weak points are revealed with use over time, and now I think I can offer up a fair summary of the detector.

The ATX is a bit difficult in that Garrett started with the premise of using an existing housing designed to military specifications, and then decided to put a detector in it for consumer retail sales. On one hand this is really great as we get this very unique detector design that would never have been developed just for consumer sales. On the other hand it means for some uses the ATX is just not a very good fit. For other uses it works pretty well.

It just so happens I am an avid prospector and an avid beach hunter. I do not beach hunt as much as I like but when I do it I really go after it. Because of this the ATX hits a particular sweet spot for me personally. I really do need a good pulse induction metal detector that can be submerged in saltwater. I would keep the ATX for that purpose alone. I am very happy with its performance as a beach detector especially on beaches where there is black sand mineralization or volcanic rock to deal with. The fact it also does very well as a prospecting PI is almost a bonus for me.

From a straight up prospecting perspective Garrett also scores though nobody needs a seven pound detector waterproof to 10 feet while desert prospecting. However, if all I had was a couple thousand dollars to invest in a brand new, full warranty PI for gold prospecting it would be a Garrett ATX. I believe the ATX is superior to the White's alternatives in overall performance and it is far less money than a new Minelab PI detector. I will not speak for the Australians but in the U.S. the ATX holds its own for PI performance and I feel quite comfortable using it gold prospecting. I could wish for a lighter package but the fact is it works and a person who puts in the effort should do just fine with the ATX. I know I can.

The ATX does well for relic hunting applications and I have even found I can cherry pick coins halfway well with it. I have always been partial to pulse induction detectors and Garrett has won me over with the ATX. I enjoy using the detector and I can make good finds with it, and that is all I can ask of any detector.

In retrospect I have actually done remarkably well with the ATX since I got it, considering it is only one of several detectors I have been using and not the one with the most hours on it. I have found about 3 ounces of gold and platinum jewelry with the Garrett ATX plus about two ounces of gold nuggets with it. I have found gold nuggets in Alaska, Arizona, California, and Nevada with the ATX under sunny skies and in pouring rain. My ATX has spent a couple weeks of days underwater in rough surf and is none the worse for wear.

I like the ATX so much I just treated myself to a brand new Garrett ATX Deepseeker package so I now have the full complement of ATX coils and accessories. I am weeding my detector collection down to the bare minimum I can get by with and the Garrett ATX is a survivor in more ways than one. Many thanks and a hat's off to Garrett for producing my all time favorite Garrett detector.

I absolutely love reading your stories. Maybe one day we could hunt alongside each other. Be well hunt safe

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Steve,

I appreciate your honest review of the ATX. I currently have the Garrett Infinium LS and thinking of upgrading to the ATX.

Thank you again,

Doc

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the thorough review. I have not really seen many post of guys that own the ATX and was wondering how well it did in the water. Sounds like it keeps the water out better than the CTX 3030 LOL!

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Doc, Do some Googling you will find I was a big Infinium user. I still like the Infinium ability to hip or chest mount, but put ergonomics aside and from a straight up performance perspective there really is no comparison in my opinion. The ATX delivers the goods in that department.

choppadude, as you may see in the sidebar I have a CTX. I really, really like my CTX but I do not have near the faith in its waterproof integrity as I have in the ATX. Don't forget VLF and PI are apples and oranges though. If you hate digging bobby pins stay away from PI! But of you are cool with PI the ATX is a good option. It works best on tough mineralized beaches. If all you have is clean white sand or similar low mineral conditions a Surf PI is probably a better option.

Steve 009

Greenie
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Evening Steve Thank You for the Review i also have a ATX and wondering what Sling you would Recommend for the ATX ? I found the one that comes with the ATX Terrible Thank You Steve

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Pro-Swing 45 is a great harness and works with any detector.

Attachments

• garrett-atx-with-minelab-harness.jpg
    garrett-atx-with-minelab-harness.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 206

Steve 009

Greenie
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Steve will get myself a pro Swing also wondering if you wireless headphone and if you do which one would you recommend? Thank You Steve

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, sorry, I have not really taken much to wireless headphones. I use the system that came with my CTX 3030 and that is about it. I like my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones and can just plug them into anything and they work. I have an adapter for the ATX so I can use them with it also. No worries about batteries, just plug in and go. Even the CTX half the time I just plug the Sun Rays straight in head on out.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome wright up as always Steve, I enjoy reading your reviews quite a bit and its always interesting to see the new places that you are going and things that you find. :)

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great review - thanks! :thumbsup:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not familiar with PI machines, so this may be a stupid question, but how do you ID targets? Strictly by sound and discrimination?

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PI detectors are for getting sheer power and depth. Plus, discrimination is why many good targets remain to be found. The best thing going for me the rest of my detecting career is other people relying on discrimination while I rely on my high tolerance for digging trash!

Basically PI detectors are dig it all machines, which is why prospectors and beach hunters like them. They are also getting very popular with the relic crowd. Any place high value targets lurk, especially in bad ground. The ATX does have a fairly decent ferrous rejection feature but it only works on shallow stuff, so deep nails etc you still dig. The are many tone nuances you can also use to pick and choose targets. I am pretty good at cherry picking with a PI but would not want people to get the wrong idea and think they are like a VLF in that regard. If the idea of digging everything seems like a bad one, then you do not want a PI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread