Urban detecting/treasure hunting

piedmont

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
I have noticed that most posts/reports are from rural areas and abandoned homes. Is this because we like to hunt these areas or are urban areas overlooked or avoided? Are we all rural people on this forum? The concentration of people in urban areas historically should lead to a concentration of good finds shouldn't it? Why so few urban treasure tales?

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Depends what you are looking to find....Alot of us here are into historical relics and coins....so the rural or old homesteads,taverns,towns is where we head. Most urban sites have been blacktopped and so loaded down with fill dirt that the older finds just arent there. If you are looking for clad jewelry etc ...then hit those urban spots.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Back in the late 70's, a detectorist I knew told me about a trip he took to Boston with a buddy of his, to do some older city sites. They drove all over, in, and around the area, looking for just the right spot. It was just starting to get light out, when they came upon a park. It was a classic, old city park, with wrought iron fencing around it, an old fountain, and big, old trees. They parked, and went right to work detecting. He told me that they started finding coins right off the bat, and that they were all old coins. They were both totally shocked! They were finding bust, seated, barber, and big coppers at will, on almost every signal. They couldn't fathom how this was possible. They hadn't even gone far from where they started, as the signals were rather close together. They had been at it for just over an hour, when a police car pulled up. The officer got out and asked them what in the world were they doing there. They told him what they were doing, and said they didn't realize what they were doing was wrong. He aknowledged that it wasn't what they were doing, but where they were doing it. They asked the officer what he meant, and he told them to look around. He told them they were in a rather impoverished suburb of Boston, known as Dorchester, and that he would stay there only long enough for them to safely exit the neighborhood. After looking around to see half the folks in that area standing around, and in the windows, watching them, they decided they had better heed the officers warning and leave the area.

He told me it was a lesson to him to make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I live in an urban area, but prefer to hunt in rural areas on relative's property. I hunt there for several reasons. People are nicer, They keep an eye on your car, the older finds are there, and I feel safer. Plus, when you are talking to the older rural folks, they can give you more places to hunt. I don't hunt in the city (we have several older parks here) because of the safety factor. That's what I do, hope it helps.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I agree that's prolly just a safety thing for you guys... I have to watch my back because of bears, rattlers, and other critters - not people.

I grew up detecting in more urban areas in upstate NY though - and the fact is: more people means more lost means more finds!

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ilike the rural areas because of the PEACE AND QUIET,ITS A HOBBY NOT A JOB! ;)

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
There was a book I picked up not too long ago, called "The Urban Treasure Hunter" The author lived in NY, and really gave some excellent tips on the art of MD'ing, Bottle Hunting, and the like in the urban environment. From a personal standpoint, I don't like crowds, and once I moved out of the city 29 years ago, I rarely go back. Being a "Philly-boy" I'll probably head to Pennypack Park before the summer is out, but I want to learn my machine a little better before venturing too far from home.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching for HIV infected needles, radon gas or looking for nuclear waste will deter most city folks. I'm sure most hoods don't have a clue as to what an MD goes for. Add a decon suit to your MDing wear and you are good to go. Slap a bio-hazard sticker on for good measure.

All kidding aside, pay attention to your surroundings at all times. You could be in the middle of Podunk and still have some lunatic show up out of no where. I was out mountain biking with some freinds a few years ago. Evidently we got too close to someone's pot field. One of the guys I was with worked on drug task force and got a "gut feeling" about the guy that asked why were riding through the area which was a public but seldom used fire road. A few days later a helicopter flew over where we were riding and found a rather large plot of hippy lettuce.

Also, more than once, I have been surprised by a dog. I never had to use it but pepper spray might be a good thing to carry if it is legal in your area.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Urban mding is fun even in so called bad areas.I find that most people are just curious and like to ask questions.The good thing about these areas are most of them are untouched by mders.Believe it or not i get a thrill of pushing my luck to the max.It also helps when your car looks like a undercover police car :D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will hunt anywhere I can get permission. I don,t know a lot of people and getting permission from strangers is hard for me. After I get permission I go there numerous times, some get better others do not. My sisters place is pretty well clean after 8 times, about 15 hours. Parks are fun for me as I never know what I will find and getting permision is as easy as sending an email.

Ed D.

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one park I go to in a urban area and I always do great there. It is large and I always find nice things and some very old coins there. I just make sure of my surroundings and I go early in the morning. Just be careful thats all. I actually have had some more weirdos in better areas than I do there. :o

Happy Hunting

Twister

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i live in an urban area and it can be tough finding productive spots to hunt. not that they arent around mind you. im surrounded by them! its just that the city of wilmington has ordinances against hunting on any city owned land. the suburbs around here were not really anything other than farmland until the 60s, so unless you are hunting an older residence, youre just not going to find the silver. in the few spots that are huntable you need to be very carefull. i always hunt these areas with at least my brother if not another few guys. also we always go early on a sunday morning. the crack heads are usually nursing thier hangovers then. ;) still, you have to be carefull. always hunt with someone else and stay close to one another.

OP
OP
P

piedmont

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I would have replied sooner but I experienced some self induced technical difficulties :-\

I was not really suggesting that people go into crime ridden ghettos to hunt, but I was pointing out that we see few reports from prime urban spots( yards of the very old still nice homes in old cities) Maybe its just too hard or intimidating to get permission on these properties.

Thanks again.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thread piedmont.

I think everyone who posted has covered just about everything.

The safety factor is the big thing here and it's not just in the crime ridden ghettos. Anyplace inside a big city is very dangerous today. And detecting without watching for trouble to develop is extra bad news. People will kill today for a pack of cigarettes. It's just not much fun detecting if you know any minute you could be attacked or shot from a distance.

But there is no doubt that urban detecting is where the greatest finds are today. Locations within old Detroit and other big cities no doubt hold coins and jewelry like most of us can only dream about.

Some people hunt the big city but the risks are very great. Some American cities are more dangerous than Bagdad. A cop told me a while back that each day more people are murdered in Detroit than usually die in any given day in the war over in Iraq. I don't know if that's true or not but I wouldn't doubt it.

Drugs and lack of a strong consistant court system have made America one of the most dangerous places in the world.

I do most of my hunting far away from people or right inside small villages on private property.

But I can tell you this, if one is very brave (or stupid) and dares to venture into the old Victorian side of any big city, one will kill the goodies. Hunting the right spot you'd probably find more in one day than you could find in a whole summer outside of town.

Michael Chaplan authored a book back in 2005 titled: "The Urban Treasure Hunter" and it's just what you're writing about. Chaplan has guts and goes right downtown. According to his book he digs what we all like to talk about. You might want to read it sometime.

Take care and live long my friend.

Badger

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
My neighbors house, 2 doors away was built in the 1880's. I have photos showing the outhouse which probably is full of bottles and other good relics. Her yard is probably full of coins, and I am on good terms with her. My digging is out in the woods. I have no desire to dig in town and have people approach me to see what I am doing. Maybe some day I will ask my neighbor to dig her yard. But I have no interest in digging money.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
hollowpointred said:
i live in an urban area and it can be tough finding productive spots to hunt. not that they arent around mind you. im surrounded by them! its just that the city of wilmington has ordinances against hunting on any city owned land. the suburbs around here were not really anything other than farmland until the 60s, so unless you are hunting an older residence, youre just not going to find the silver. in the few spots that are huntable you need to be very carefull. i always hunt these areas with at least my brother if not another few guys. also we always go early on a sunday morning. the crack heads are usually nursing thier hangovers then. ;) still, you have to be carefull. always hunt with someone else and stay close to one another.

Come to Virginia, my friend. I doubt we will find any Colonial Coppers, but I'm sure we will find Indians and Silver!!! :)

DM

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
My neighbors house, 2 doors away was built in the 1880's. I have photos showing the outhouse which probably is full of bottles and other good relics. Her yard is probably full of coins, and I am on good terms with her. My digging is out in the woods. I have no desire to dig in town and have people approach me to see what I am doing. Maybe some day I will ask my neighbor to dig her yard. But I have no interest in digging money.

"...no interest in digging money." ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o ahhhhhhh....wellll...ummmm... I think that that is the first time I've EVER read those words from a THer. Lumbercamp, I wish you 'luck at finding those relics you like. If I were a smarta** I'd ask you if you throw any money you accidently find into the trash along with any other junk, but I'm not so I won't.
;D ;D ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Shortstack said:
lumbercamp said:

"...no interest in digging money." ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o ahhhhhhh....wellll...ummmm... I think that that is the first time I've EVER read those words from a THer. Lumbercamp, I wish you 'luck at finding those relics you like. If I were a smarta** I'd ask you if you throw any money you accidently find into the trash along with any other junk, but I'm not so I won't.
;D ;D ;D

I never frown on money... but I focus on relics...

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Maybe it's because I'm not old, retired or what ever, but I have never had a problem in any city. I'm from the country originally so It's not like I have grown up around the ghetto or anything. Also I would like to point out Detroit is not a bad city Gone to many shows at different venues around Detroit and never had a problem with anyone. The biggest problem is having to ask bums for directions at 3 in the morning because no one is on the streets. I have been run out of more fields by hillbillies with shotguns (I ride atv's alot) Then by inercity people. I don't know just different generations I guess. Is the book mentioned earlier in this post still in print?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the City government agency that is responsible for demolishing houses or buildings and replacing sidewalks for Urban Renewal, Code Violations, etc. Be alert for new construction replacing older homes or businesses. Usually can hunt them just as long as you stay out of the way of the equipment. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread