Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are also still private property...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never detect these homes without the banks permission.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt bank foreclosure any chance I get if it's an older home. If no ones living in it and it's got the bank owned sign up I'm hunting it.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banks don't "own" those properties until the deed is transferred into the banks name. This can take a year or more after the property is vacated. Additionally most banks are "servicing" the mortgage for Fanny Mae or Fanny Mac" or other such mortgage consolidators. Technically the bank couldn't legally give you permission to do anything. The bank is a steward holding the property for transfer and have responsibilities for maintaining and protecting the property which usually is minimal at best. These services are usually jobbed out to local real estate companies that eventually will get the listing. Even if the mortgagee signs an owners waiver rights to abandon the property, the deed is still in that persons name and is the legal owner till the deed is transferred. Basically the entity listed on the deed in fact is the legal owner at any given time. If the property has been vacated by the deed holder you could argue its been abandoned. It's easy enough to find the legal owners name of any property, it's public record.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
This is one of those types of questions where you have to ask yourself:

1) are you wanting the technical answer? Or

2) are you wanting the realistic answer ?

There were some cities in CA hard-hit by the housing value decline on the early 2000's. In some cities, in certain neighborhoods which had been way over-priced at the height-of-the-market, it was not unusual to see several vacant homes PER BLOCK ! Yup, people who just "walked away" from upside down home mortgages.

I knew some guys who took the liberty to go yard-to-yard in such areas, since the abandoned vacant ones were easy to spot. Eg.: un-mowed yard, boarded up or no-curtain-windows, etc... And these guys had no problems. But is that to say they were technically in-the-right? No, of course not. Rather: they were using the "does anyone REALLY care ?" test of reality.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank will never give permission due to "liability".I know from the experience of asking.
The neighbors will almost always give you hassle.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It is unethical to hunt where you do not have permission. Period.

People that hunt unethically give all MDers a bad name. Just mentioning something like this gives other people the idea that it is OK. Shame on you.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would avoid detecting these properties.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be part owner if it is listed that a Government body is the owner..

kemper I really dont understand how you can believe that.Do you actually believe that to be fact? Or Is that just how you justify doing what you want? Where is the line drawn under the same logic I should be able to stop by the local military base and borrow a tank for the weekend it is government property so am I part owner? Of course not ....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because I am a tax payer does not mean I am part owner in every gov funded home... Using that excuse means I can use their pool or grill....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to get some feedback on hunting foreclosed homes. Has anyone done this without permission since they're basically corporate owned at this point?
No one will tell you they did because they will get stoned on here.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do it but not after getting stoned.

People on here will say whatever it is to make everyone happy. I'm not that kinda person, I hands down hunted these places be and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some are afraid to look at the reality of whether or not these places are legal to hunt. A person can research some of these and not find a reason to not hunt them. I am often amazed at how some will spend countless hours learning a detector but spend little time learning what they can do. If it's not illegal it is legal.

Some also refuse to acknowledge they are not public property....

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bigger problem I see with this issue is not so much the argument of ownership of property but the reputation of the people engaged in the hobby. Being asked to leave a property which obviously isn't yours, metal detector in hand, leaves a negative impression in the enforcers mind of all people engaged in our hobby. (Insert here image of detectorist grabbing gold chain off man laying on beach from insurance commercial).

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready to be stoned. Ok, I'll admit I do search them. But, I try to take at least two bags of trash too. Usually I'll go around and gather some trash & throw it in the truck in plain sight & a bag next to it. So far I haven't had any problems. On one occasion the cops cruised by & just gave a wave when they saw I had a big handful of trash heading to the truck. Picking up some litter & trash is a fair trade to search a potentially good site.

Asking permission has had varying results. Found a property out in the boonies that had bottles all over the place. Called the real estate company and started out with "I was driving by & saw all the broken glass and wondering if I could have it." Got an immediate YES, along with a name & number to call if there was a problem with police. Might be me, but if I offer to drive to the office and give them a release of liability they almost always say yes. I've only had to actually go to the office once so far.

The big thing is how you present yourself. Just want to go in & hunt for coins? Nothing in it for them = no. Will do a little cleanup on the property for free = yes.

That's just my experience and might not pan out in your area.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A man who trespasses on property that does not belong to him (under some moronic pretext he makes up in his mind) is a bag who deserves a severe ass whipping.

When they get arrested, I laugh. Do not think a metal detector is a get out of jail free card.
Google 'Metal Detector Arrested' for all manner of anecdotes, which probably doesn't represent 1% of what actually occurs and goes unreported.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is unethical to hunt where you do not have permission. Period.

People that hunt unethically give all MDers a bad name. Just mentioning something like this gives other people the idea that it is OK. Shame on you.

This is not a forum that anyone should be shamed for obtaining input from fellow hunters.

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never hunt any area without permission. I enjoy metal detecting partly due to removing stress and enjoying the peace. Hunting on property without permission would take both of those away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread