Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
reposted from another site (old post of mine):

Want to own a gold coin?
here's an idea that may fit your collecting style.
Many years ago I read about upgrading your coins found in the field. You basically cash in your lesser finds or even some of your better finds, and purchase something that you really want to have in your collection. And something that will hopefully increase in value over the years.

I choose a slabbed certified rare coin - mainly the St. Gaudens $20 gold piece or double eagle. This coin is probably worth from $700-$900. When the stock market was way down and gold went way up - it was running about $1200-$1400. Since it is about 1 ounce of gold, it will automatically increase in value with the spot price of gold.

Good idea to take digital pics for insurance purposes.
and here it is fresh from the safety deposit box...

Attachments

• 120b.jpg
    120b.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 121b.jpg
    121b.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Neat coin!

While not at old certainly (actually quite new) I sold off a LOT of old ham radio collectible
gear I had back in 2000, when gold was at $257 (!!) an ounce, and had enough to buy
38.45 ounces (mostly 1 oz coins, but also a fair number of 10ths too) - it's been really
fun to see it grow in value ($426 today). And I get to open the little plastic tubes and
pour out a whole handful of 'gold dubloons' and play with them (cafefully!!). Ain't nothing
like real gold coins... I can't imaging finding one with my XLT. Probably wouldn't be a good
thing, as I'd have heart attack and die on the spot.

Dave
Zommbee

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yep! I like to do the same thing. Have several good ones now. The weight of the gold feels good in your hand, even when it's slabbed. Spotz

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
My husbands brothers wife went out looking for wood and low and behold there under a slab of wood was a 1846 or 56 gold walking lady coin and in great shape..I just about pored a load of ^&$(*& in my pants....She still has the darn things too! Looks like that one ! Only not in as good a shape..I just dream that some day I will find something as nice as that!

J

Jim Cal

Ocean, I save all of my clads and new coins and cash them in periodically to buy key coins, silver dollars, gold coins. Not only do they increase in value but are a lot nicer to look at than the clad stuff. Over the years I've managed to acquire quite a bit. Jim Cal

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Onion - no not at this time. Was an 'investment' long hold purchase. But thanks for asking.

ghost surf - here are two companies but there are many out there. These two both
advertised in "Coin prices" mag. And now there's always E-bay.
R & I Coins 800-753-2646

Jules J. Karp 800-836-6226

PCGS & NGC are two best (most respected) certified, grading companies in country.
If you go with slabbed coins - keep this in mind!

Jim Cal - yep nice to look at gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread